Searching For Marginal Gains

0

“The aggregation of marginal gains” is a phrase that became the mantra of Dave Brailsford performance director of British cycling. What is overlooked in this phrase is the term “aggregation.” Certainly everyone in elite sport is looking for the tenth of a percent that can be the difference maker. In the search for marginal gains it is easy to lose sight of the fact that it is a process that is built on solid fundamentals and consistent focused training. In the search for that tenth of a percent don’t forget to keep refining the things that got you there. To be the very best, to stand on the top of the podium, it is not one thing, it is a succession of factors big and small that accumulate in a systematic manner over time to then make the marginal gains significant. Consistently take care the 98% and the other 2% will be  much easier. As a wise old cowboy once said “Be sure to dance the last with who brung you to the dance.” Keep refining the fundamentals. The fundamentals will lead to the marginal gains that are meaningful.

Vern Gambetta

Vern Gambetta

Director at Gambetta Sports Training Systems
Vern is the Director of Gambetta Sports Training Systems. He has been the a conditioning coach for several MLS teams as well as the conditioning consultant to the US Men's World Cup Soccer team. Vern is the former Director of Conditioning for the Chicago White Sox and New York Mets. He has lectured and conducted clinics in Canada, Japan, Australia and Europe and has authored six books and over one hundred articles related to coaching and sport performance in a variety of sports. He has a BA in teaching with a coaching minor and an MA in Education with an emphasis in physical education from Stanford University.
Vern Gambetta

@coachgambetta

Athletic Development Coach & Consultant. Founder of GAIN Network. Proud dad. Love to read everything.
RT @GreatestQuotes: Your aspirations are your possibilities. - Samuel Johnson - 2 years ago
Vern Gambetta

Latest posts by Vern Gambetta (see all)

Share.