Zack Trapp’s Sprint Training Log-Turning Over A New Leaf

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #198126

Saturday, 12/28
    Warm Up
    2x7x100-70-75%-(Set 1=Walk Back, Set 2=~2′)
    2xGS Circuit-Core I-15″ Rest
    Hurdle Mobility
    Foam Roll

Okay, so todays workout did not run smoothly. At about rep six of my tempo workout I got a random bloody nose and had to take a massive break while I waited for it to stop bleeding. Afterwords, I really didn’t feel to great but pushed myself through the session.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #199695

So I haven’t been able to update in over a week, but for whatever reason my computer has had some trouble logging in on this site. I’m actually updating from a school computer right now.

As some of you may already know, about a week ago the weather around Chicago got really bad. Getting my parents to drive me to train every day seemed unrealistic, so I decided to push my unloading week up a few days. It went pretty well, I feel refreshed. I squatted 250 and benched 150, and I’m sure I could have put 10 pounds on either of those, but I was testing alone. Then on Wednesday I ran a 4.79 40 yard dash, which I ran better than in the fall, but that was with wind and this weeks test was a very below average rep(I didn’t feel 100%; I had only gotten a few hours of sleep the night before). None the less, a few weeks ago on a rep like that I would have ran 4.9ish so I’m satisfied with a roughly 2% improvement in only four weeks.

Today is going to be tricky. Neither my mom or my step-dad could drive me to the YMCA, so I’m going to have to see if I can use the indoor track at our school after the speed/strength workouts finish using it. This is likely subject to change, but the plan is:

Friday, 1/10
    Warm Up
    Sprint Drills
    1x40m
    4x70m
    4×5 Skips F/H or Alt Leg Bound on each leg
    4×7 TDL-150-160? Lbs.
    3×5 Box Jumps
    4×7 RDL-120 Lbs
    4×7 Bench?-105 Lbs.
    Dynamic Flex

This could also be slightly tricky since I didn’t know that I would have to train at school until I was on my way there. As a result, I didn’t bring my trainers or spikes and only have my flip flops. I can likely wear just my socks, but I don’t know.

And that is it for this diary of an entry.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200097

Once again, I can’t update from my home computer. Here is a rundown of the past few days:

Saturday, 1/11
    Warm Up
    8x~170@70% W/Walk Back Recovery(~2′)
    2xGS Circuit I
    Dynamic Flex
    Cool Down

Was training at the rexplex at my dads house, and I didn’t have anything to time rests. Felt really crappy at the end of this session.

Sunday, 1/12
    Warm Up
    Hurdle Mobility
    Sprint Drills

This was essentially an active rest day

Monday, 1/13
    Warm Up
    Sprint Drills
    1x25m
    ~10xAssorted GS Exercises
    1x25m
    1×40 YD-4.76
    About 15′ Break
    8x30m
    Another 30′ Break
    3×5 Hurdle Hops
    4×7 Squat-175 Lbs.
    3×5 Box Jumps
    4×7 RDL-135 Lbs.
    4×7 Incline-95 Lbs.
    2xDynamic Flex

This was slightly tricky. I went to the track part of school workouts, which was kind of annoying because I had to do some (easy) general strength exercises before sprinting because I’m in the “B” group even though my times should easily put me in the “A” group. Whatever. The 40 YD was faster than I thought it would be given the general strength before. Right now, I have absolutely no top speed and I’m running with pretty low hips at top speed. I hope I can get that sorted out. I’m also optimistic about what this time would mean once I have a get this sorted out.

Tuesday, 1/14
    Warm Up
    1×70″ -~70%
    5′ Rest
    3×65″ on treadmill(10mph w/ +5 Incline) w/2′ rest
    4xGS Circuit I
    2xHurdle Mobility

This wasn’t a great session. I wanted to go home and do some tempo on grass, but the snow hadn’t melted. I had to do what I could on my home treadmill, which could only go 10 mph. Given the incline and how bad of shape I’m in at the moment, it actually was a fair workout. GS was easier than I would of thought even though I cut out all rest between exercises. I’m going to need to choose new GS circuits.

Today is going to be speed, both on my own and at school workouts, and lifting. We’ll be running timed 40’s again(we do twice a week for the next few weeks) and I’m not too optimistic about what I’m going to run today given I did a relatively long tempo session yesterday. Likely something in the 4.80-4.90 range.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200254

Wednesday, 1/15
    Warm Up
    Sprint Drills
    1x25m
    2×40 YD-4.68, 4.83
    Wait like 20 minutes
    Microwaved WU
    4x55m
    5×5(On Each Leg) Alt Leg Bounds

Later…
    Microwaved WU
    4×7 Deadlift-165 Lbs.
    5xSLJ W/Chest MB Throw
    4×7(Each Side) Reverse Lunge-115 Lbs.
    3×7 Military Press-65 Lbs.
    2xDynamic Flex

So the 40 time yesterday was a big shocker. Coming from a post tempo day, I was expecting to run poorly, but I put things together a lot better than I had been doing and ran I PR. Also, the coach told me that I was coming out pretty high over the first few steps, which surprised me. I really emphasized that during my 55’s. Weight room was solid, but I was a little unfocused after coming home from a long hair appointment. Today should be:

Thursday, 1/16
    Warm Up
    “X-Factor Workout”
    -General workout that our school does that incorporates a lot of general strength, agilities, and a variety of other stuff that changes from week to week. Its not particularly hard for me
    8×180-70%-(2′)-This could change based on what is going on in our Fieldhouse.
    2-3xCore Circuit I(30″ on, 10″ off)
    Dynamic Flex or Hurdle Mobility

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200287

So to recap Thursdays training, I ended up doing 4×200-65%, 6×100-75% because I wasn’t getting very good quality on the 200’s. During tempo, I was told that I was leaning back, and this is the second time I’ve heard this during tempo. I don’t know if I do this when I’m actually sprinting, but it would definitely help explain why my max v is so much worse than my start. I think I’ll read through the Mechanical Problems in Tempo thread. I also modified GS. Today is planned as:

Friday, 1/17
    Warm Up
    Sprint Drills
    8x40m
    5×10 Skips F/H
    *Part II*
    Microwaved WU
    4×7 Deep Squat-150?(What is the conversion factor for regular:deep squat)
    3×4 Box Jump? SLJ? UHF? I’ll see
    4×7 RDL-135 Lbs.
    Abs 8
    2xDynamic Flex

Participant
    rogiertetteroo@gmail.com on #200548

Hey Zack!

Im reading your blog now and then. Why dont you try posting a vid of yourself sprinting.

It might help getting some feedback from knowledgeable guys here on the forum

Best of luck, and keep training hard!

Rogier

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200652

^Simply because I don’t have a smart phone or anything to record with. If I could, I would. Its not too bad though, as I’ve gotten some feedback recently.

Saturday, 1/18

Warm Up
    2xCore Circuit I(15 Reps, No Rest)
    1xGS Circuit II(12 Reps, No Rest)
    1xMonster Circuit
    2xDynamic Flex

Saturday was a bit of a mess. I didn’t have anywhere I could do tempo, and my mo wouldn’t let me use her treadmill so I just had to do GS.

Sunday, 1/19
    Warm Up
    Sprint Drills
    2xPowerspeed Drills
    22x16m
    5×5 Hurdle Hops
    5×6 Squat-185
    3×5 Box Jumps
    5×6 RDL-145 Lbs.
    5×6 Incline-115 Lbs.
    Hurdle Mobility

Again, had no where to train but my 20m basement, so I had to make do. Actually, I ran diagonally to extend the total rep distance.

Monday, 1/20

Warm Up
    8×40 Sec(2′)
    2xGS Circuit II(15 Reps)
    2xDynamic Flex

Today is going to be a rest/recovery day. Just warm up and drills.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200672

Also, side note, but I’ve gained 15 lbs over the past six weeksish. However, I bet that is inflated a bit because my diet has been terrible the past few days(going out to eat, making cookies, etc.) Still, visually I do look like I’ve added a bit of muscle and not any fat

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200740

Wednesday, 1/22
    Sprint Drills
    1x25m
    1×40 YD-4.75
    *Wait 30 minutes*
    Short Warm Up
    6x50m
    3×5(Each leg) alt leg bounds

That’s part 1. I’m going to lift in about an hour after dinner. Today in general I felt really lethargic. Maybe part of it is in school most of my classes aren’t even mildly challenging and I don’t have anyone to talk to in those classes. I’m not sure. This was reflected today in my 40, where I just had no sort of “bounce”. This also was due to me not being able to warm up before because workouts ran 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Regardless, not a great session.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200742

5×6 Deadlift-175 Lbs.
    3×5 Box Jumps
    5×6 RDL-145 Lbs.
    3×7 Military Press-70 Lbs.
    2xHurdle Mobility

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200794

Thursday, 1/23
    Warm Up
    “X-Factor Workout”
    12×100-80%(1′)
    1×300-70%
    1xCore Circuit I(15 Reps, Almost no rest)
    1xKillar Pillar Circuit(10 Reps, Almost no rest)
    Dynamic Flex

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200860

Friday, 1/24
    Warm Up
    Sprint Drills
    Either 12x30m or 9x40m depending on the where I can train and how I feel.
    6×5 Skips F/H(Each Leg)

*Part II*
    5×6 Deep Squat-160?
    8-10x SLJ or UHF
    5×6 Reverse Lunge-120 Lbs.
    4×7 Chin-Ups-Possibly Weighted
    2xHurdle Mobility

That’s the plan. Its subject to change based on overall training situation and how I feel. I may update later with how the actual session went.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #200881

Saturday, 1/25
    Warm up
    4x4x100-75-80%(80m slow walk rest)
    30″ on/off push-ups, squats, plank
    Abs series 7
    Ad lib dynamic flex

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #201098

Monday, 1/27
    Warm Up
    Sprint Drills
    25×15-16m Starts
    5×6 Hurdle Hops
    7×5 Squat-190 Lbs.
    3×3 Chest MB Throws
    Superset-
    5×5 RDL-150 Lbs.
    5×5 Chinups
    Hurdle Mobility

So school was cancelled today due to cold weather, so I had to deal with training in my basement. Accelerations felt good, although I think I might have pushed the volume a bit too much. This is the start of my high volume week before an easy week. I had to superset the RDL’s and chin-ups in order to get them both in because I ran out of time before my mom started tutoring for ACT upstairs. Tomorrow is also canceled, so it will likely be a GE circuit instead of extensive tempo. In fact, there is a chance Wednesday could be cancelled as well. This has been a REALLY cold winter.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #202093

Tuesday, 1/28
    Warm Up
    2xGE Circuit-Halac
    1xCore Circuit I
    1xGS Circuit II
    1xGS Circuit-Monster
    1xAdlib Weight Circuit
    2xDynamic Flex

I was stuck training in my basement today. Given the constraints, this as a pretty decent training session. I’d prefer if I didn’t have to do substitute training sessions as often as I’ve been forced to by the weather recently. Tomorrow will be my last full volume training session before my unload week(I’m on a bit of a weird schedule training wise at the moment).

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.