Zack Trapp’s Sprint Training Log-Turning Over A New Leaf

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #119521

What the hell are you talking about? I ran 10.5fat last year in terrible midwest conditions (only ran 3 outdoor races because, you know, hard to working @ a hedge fund), ran 6.7 this year beating the Big10 champ and a number of athletes competing @ D1 nationals this weekend head-tohead, help out with the coach of group/club that has multiple high school girls with better PRs than you. I’ve literally PR’d in the sprints every year since 2008, albeit slow progress. If you want to start shit, let’s get it. If I didn’t break 15 handtimed in the hurdles I would’ve quit, too.

Oh well those are nice times, you could be a top 100 high schooler now. But hey, at least you’re posting your times now, maybe one of these days you’ll use your real name too.

I don’t ‘help out,’ I coach. This is a distinction that I hope you grasp, so you don’t recommend 600m of speed work to first time high school athletes anymore. And I don’t work for a club, I work for a school. So when I get 12s incoming freshmen (or even slower sometimes), it’s what I work with.

I must say I’m surprised you’re working with multiple high school girls that run faster than 11.3, especially since no girl in Illinois ran that fast last year.

I don’t even know why you would bring up my high school times. I don’t remember what you ran in high school. 11.1? It’s roughly the same as a 15.0. Both should get to the state finals in most states and divisions. Roswell was a slower hurdler than me in high school yet he is running sub 14 now. My ability had nothing to do with me moving on from track.

Zack, I apologize for derailing your journal.

EDIT: I don’t want to make another post in this journal, since that’s not why this thread was made. Jason is right, and I’m not trying to get into a pissing contest. All I’m getting at is you need to learn to speak to people on the forum in a way that does not put down or antagonize them. Because that is the main issue I have with you. Most of your advice is fine. I don’t usually roll my eyes at it. But when you put down so many people and their PRs, it borders on ridiculous. There’s nothing special about you or your advice, contrary to what you might think. The same goes for me. I’m continuing to learn and improve, and I hope you’re doing the same.

Participant
    davan on #119526

Derrick,

I don’t speak handtimes, so let’s not compare FAT results at meaningful/competitive meet to random handtimed high school meets. You clearly don’t know much about track if you actually use those marks as your PR. You were never a 11.3 or even 15.0 guy. You PR FAT is what, 15.4?? You never did improve and you never even bothered to run in real meets. You’re a quitter. Hating on a 6.7 60m coming from someone who actually did progress there from running 12 (11.8x fat as a high school soph) shows you are either an idiot or you don’t care about the sport much since not everyone is going to be Usain or Tyson. Yes, there are 5 high schoolers who have run faster this year (fastest year ever overall). They’d also be top 10-15 on college and are top 50 or so in the world.

You talk acceleration patterns about kids that run 12 and aren’t in shape. You talk about how someone should quit because they only qualified for US nationals. You talk handtimes. You talk about and compare yourself to people that actually DO progress and put in the work (Roswell, myself) when you never did. Seriously, what have you learned from this site?

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #119538

Derrick,

I don’t speak handtimes, so let’s not compare FAT results at meaningful/competitive meet to random handtimed high school meets. You clearly don’t know much about track if you actually use those marks as your PR. You were never a 11.3 or even 15.0 guy. You PR FAT is what, 15.4?? You never did improve and you never even bothered to run in real meets. You’re a quitter. Hating on a 6.7 60m coming from someone who actually did progress there from running 12 (11.8x fat as a high school soph) shows you are either an idiot or you don’t care about the sport much since not everyone is going to be Usain or Tyson. Yes, there are 5 high schoolers who have run faster this year (fastest year ever overall). They’d also be top 10-15 on college and are top 50 or so in the world.

You talk acceleration patterns about kids that run 12 and aren’t in shape. You talk about how someone should quit because they only qualified for US nationals. You talk handtimes. You talk about and compare yourself to people that actually DO progress and put in the work (Roswell, myself) when you never did. Seriously, what have you learned from this site?

Just more nonsense from you. Is it really my fault that I went to a high school were I was handtimed 90% of the time, and my best race was a handtime? Believe me I hate hand times just as much as you do. Even if we compare my fat times (15.3), it’s still comparable to whatever you ran in the 100m, and still faster than what Roswell ran. I’m not comparing what I did in high school to what Roswell runs now. That’s asinine. But you’re acting like I was some terrible high school athlete when I wasn’t. I was better than over 95% of people that stepped in front of a hurdle. And I never improved? I dropped a second in my hurdle times every year. And I did it without having a coach until I was a year from graduating. Yes, a lot of things could have gone better. I didn’t have the support structure to run club track, and my program designs were terrible. But that’s what you get with kids.

Once again, I’m interested in all athletes I coach. I’ve worked with boys that runs 10s and 13s, girls that run 12s and 15s. I’ve worked with high schoolers and collegiates. I’m interested in what changes and what stays the same. Every athlete I’ve worked with has improved. Most of the time the changes are drastic. I’ve had one injury issue with an athlete who had already had 3 surgeries. So even though I might recommend two days of speedwork and only start with 250m (context is everything though, I don’t always do that), clearly it’s been working for some people.

Hopefully, we can be done with this thread now.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119547

Didn’t update yesterday. I did 10m starts and weights.

Tuesday, 3/12/13(2 Day until pi day)

Tempo Day WU
    8x~200-~70 W/ ~2′ Rest

GS Circuits

Cool Down

Felt pretty good today. This was the most tempo I’ve done in a while, so it was pretty hard. Also, it was snowing a bit, which made things more horrible and awesome at the same time. I had to do this behind my house b/c it was freezing, so the surface was pretty uneven. Once it gets warmer out I can go a bit further away and run on a better surface for this type of thing. I’d give today a 6/10

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119548

Derrick,

Cool to here that you came from not being some genetic freak who can run 11 low at 15 to where you are now. Do you have your yearly progression from there?

Oh, also, I’d like it if you guys stopped bickering in my log. Thanks

Participant
    davan on #119551

My progression looks like this:

HS Soph: 11.8fat (I don’t remember the exact time, I think 11.81fat, but it’s been almost a decade at this point), 23.9h. I mostly ran 11.6-12.0h in dual meets.
    HS Jr: Ran 11.49fat. Only ran one race. Lived abroad for the entire winter/spring/early summer. Part of the log is actually on this site. Trained a LOT and increased my strength a lot for the first time.
    HS Sr: 11.18 -1.8w. Medial sesamoid fracture and avascular necrosis in fall caused me to miss SR year football and in a boot until December. Still made quite the progress, made my state meet, placed in numerous invitationals. Times weren’t great, but I lived in Pittsburgh, so atrocious weather is the standard.
    C Fr: 11.23 — Ran for college team and was injured most of the season with severe ITBS. Ran dozens of races, all with similar crap results. This is the only year I competed without a PB.
    C Soph: 6.97 60m, 11.76w/10.98 100m. Ran the 60m once, 100m twice because of limited access to meets and poor midwest weather. Trained on my own.
    C Jr: Freak injury. Blew out plantar fascia from running on bad surface. Don’t do that.
    C Sr: 6.34 55m, 6.88 60m, 10.67 100m
    G 1: 6.85 60m, 10.64 100m
    G 2: 6.80 60m, 10.55 100m
    G 3: 6.31 55m, 6.76 60m, ?? 100m

Strength looks like this (I rarely ever max outside of bench and forget a lot of this):
    1: Weakling overall. I remember being happy that I bp’d 135 for a solid 5 a few times and powercleaned 185×1 with absolutely atrocious technique after LOTS of training.
    2: BP 225, DL 405
    3: Didn’t max / didn’t lift super regularly (out of country
    4 (HS sr): BP 265×2, DL 485, Parallel squat ~365
    5: PC 255, didn’t bench or squat (college coach)
    6: PC 275, BP 295, Parallel BS 3x4x365
    7: BP 315, TDL 4x5x405
    8: BP 355, PC 12x3x245, Reverse Lunges 2×10+10 225
    9: TDL 405×20
    10: 4x4x405 ATG BS, BP 355
    11: PC 315, every lift higher

Until my senior year of college, I didn’t run many races because I was a broke college student and bought a car my junior year (year I was hurt). Now, I have things that take up even more time than school, so I try to choose my competitions carefully and when available. I turned 25 after my indoor season this year.

I was near my adult height and weight since I was a HS soph, mostly changing composition. Just over 5’8″ 165lbs HS soph to now 5’10” 177lbs. Difference in the composition of that weight is astronomical obviously.

I pm’d Derrick since he feels the need to attack somebody for actually enjoying competing in the sport and progressing. Hopefully, I’ll get a response.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119561

Wednesday, 3/13(Pi Day is tommorow :))

Warm Up A bunch of drills/mobility stuff, strides, and then a few accels out to 20m

WR
    4×8 Bench-85 Lbs
    4×8 Pullups
    3×8 Military Press
    Ab Work

Cool Down

So today was pretty low key; I wanted to get in a couple reps of accel, but not really kill myself. WR was good….obviously you guys can tell that I’m extremly weak…which is a huge limiting factor. Overall today was like a 8/10

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119583

Didn’t update yesterday…I did tempo and a core circuit

Friday, 3/15/13

Warm Up Bunch of Drills/Mobility stuff mixed w/ bodyweight excercises.

Workout
    8x40m on Grass W/ Spikes(Slippery) and moderate to short rest

4×4 Mini-Hurdle Hops
    4×4 Box Jumps

WR
    4×4 Cleans-95 Lbs
    4×8 Front Squat-115
    4×8 Yogis
    Core Work

Cool Down

Today was pretty dang solid. For the first time in like, ever, I’ve actually felt decent about my top speed; I felt really bouncy and felt like I was getting my footstrike underneath my hips, as opposed to running with my hips low like I normally do. I had to use a bit shorter rest because its still pretty cold outside, so I didn’t want to be resting to long between reps. Weights were pretty okay, but cleans didn’t feel that explosive. Today was probably like 8/10.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119596

Saturday, 3/16/13

Today I just did a warm up, strides, and a bodyweight circuit….really low key.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119613

Monday, 3/18
    Warm UpMobility, Various Drills, Then a few starts out to 10m

Workout

12x30m On Grass W/ Spikes W/ Moderate Recovery

WR
    Same as Friday’s except I added 5 pounds to the squat.

Cool Down

Today started out pretty okay. It was wet again so I had to stay on the grass with spikes, so the surface was a little uneven. My starts from 0-10m were pretty bad, but after that I felt much better. I felt a bit flat at the end though…maybe a bit too much volume? Not sure. Lifting I was kind of pissed off because my english teacher just emailed me to re-do a paper for a reason she had never even spoken about…but whatever. I guess today was like a 5/10

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119623

Wednesday, 3/19/13

Warm UpTempo day WU, lots of mobility/drills and stuff

Workout

Charlie Francis type tempo circuit(I think about 2k volume total)

Core Circuit

Cool Down

Tempo killed me today….4/10

Participant
    Jason Stayanchi on #119624

Zach,
    Although it has been repeated several times before, the fact that you are struggling with these basic workouts is a good thing. It shows that you are not very strong and that there is a lot of room in which you will improve. The most important thing for you is consistency. Don’t worry about rating the workouts because training is supposed to have a total effect not an instantaneous one.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119633

Wednesday, 3/20/13

Today was pretty low key, I felt really slugish and my shins were hurting a bit(I have to do alot of my training in my basement), so I just did a circuit style warm up, strides, and some upperbody lifting. I might have slight shin splints…which has never really been a problem b/c I do alot of ankle work and did marching band. THis really won’t be a problem once the weather warms up and I can be outside more.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119646

Yesterday was tempo…

Friday, 3/22/13

WU Mobility, Drills, Drills into Buildups

Workout

6x50m

3×4 Hurdle Hops

Medball Throws

WR
    4×4 Power Cleans-95 Lbs
    4×8 Front Squat-120 Lbs
    4×8 Modified GHR

Core Work

Hurdle Mobility Cool Down

Today’s workout took all of my non-existing motivation to do…I was just really not feeling it. I felt pretty bouncy at top speed, but I felt like I was taking relativly short steps. Weight room felt really easy; I should probably move up the weights next week.

As a side note, I measured my achiles tendon today and it was 24/25 or 22/23 cm depending on where I measured from. Pretty good considering I’m only 5’5

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119649

Monday, 3/25/13

Warm Up Skips Type Stuff, Mobility, Accel Drills

Workout

3x10m Blocks

6x30m

4×4 Box Jumps

WR

4×4 Power Cleans-100
    3×8 Front Squat-125
    3×8 Modified GHR

Cool Down

TOday was horrible. I don’t know what it was, but I had no pop or power today. During my starts I just had no power in over the first few steps….I just couldn’t push today. For the weight room I cut a set off of squats because it was unusaully hard today. The only thing that I could really think of that could have caused this was that I didn’t eat too healthy of a breakfast.

As a side note, I have incredibly low motivation right now.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.