Zack Trapp’s Sprint Training Log-Turning Over A New Leaf

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #18733

Name:Zack Trapp

I currently live in Illinois, which is a big problem when it comes to training in the winter. Right now I’m focusing on the sprint races, but I’d be open to trying anything else I might be good at. I’m not too focused on huge performances right away, but I’m moreso focused on my long term development.

As for the title of this log, I’m turning gover a new leaf because I’ve been so stressed out about track, overcomplicated things so much, and now I’m just done with it. I’m ready to move forward.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119486

Just finished my first workout…

Tuesday, 3/5/13
    5′ Walk/Jog(Start at 2 Mph, Build Up Each Minute)
    5×1:00 On/Off@10 Mph on treadmill
    Abs Series 7
    Big 10
    Quick Static Stretch

So today was my first day really working out in a while…so I took it a bit easier than normal. I was snowed in complletly(Snow day!), so I was pretty limited as to what I could do for a workout. Pretty okay workout.

Participant
    davan on #119495

Did you quit already?

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119497

Did you quit already?

No…I was sick yesterday so I couldn’t work out.

Thursday, 3/7/13

I really didn’t follow the details of my workout…right now I’m kind of doing unorganized workouts just off feel. I’m going to start organized training next week. Today I warmed up, did some mini flies-which was I’ build up like 15m in my basement then sprint 5m(I was REALLY feeling flies today), some plyos, and some hang cleans and RDL’s.. It was pretty low key.

Participant
    Mccabe on #119498

You know people might get annoyed at some point if you continue to ask for advice only to ignore it.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119499

Whatever. Clearly I can’t make one post in a log without you guys being total dicks. I just talked about what I did one day…which wasn’t even a planned training day…whatever.

Participant
    davan on #119500

Good luck, kid.

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #119503

Whatever. Clearly I can’t make one post in a log without you guys being total dicks. I just talked about what I did one day…which wasn’t even a planned training day…whatever.

Just ignoring davan would be a start. He’s a pain to everyone. Callam is not a dick, you would be wise to listen.

Participant
    Mccabe on #119504

Ok I will bite here. Zack, how do you think it feels for the posters of this board who offer you advice for you only to ignore and them come back and moan about the same problems a week later? To top if off you then call us dicks? My final bit of advice.

1. Man up and go train with your HS team, you will find they are pretty good at taking novice athletes and getting them quicker.

2. If you ask for advice then don’t argue the counter point.

3. Following on from point 2, if you ignore that advice don’t re-post about it in close proximity.

Participant
    star61 on #119505

Zack,

You’re getting some really good, consistent input from some very knowledgeable coaches/athletes. They know what they’re talking about. I’m actually pretty amazed that the posters responding to your log are still here, considering you truly don’t seem serious about training. By not being serious, I mean that you seem to spend much more time trying to work out the perfect plan than you do actually working the plan. At your age and ability, I truly think you should consider yourself very fortunate that these guys are still talking to you.

My advice, train four to five times a week, no matter what. If weather is bad, go to the gym. If you can’t get to the gym, do bodyweight and plyos at home. Get yourself into better shape and into a training mode. Then work on modifying a plan to suit your needs.

Zack, training programs, regardless of how sophisticated, are not the answer to a lack of motivation to train. The process of constantly evaluating and changing your plan can be, at times, a symptom of a lack of motivation and discipline. Like the Nike slogan, you should “just do it”. Once you are training consistently and begin noticing improvements (any program, even if not optimal, will give someone your age and ability descent results) you can modify and improve the plan. Seeing you log every day, or even a few times per week, will keep the Elitetrack members in your corner.

I wish I had been so privileged as a young athlete to receive the kind of technical input from such a knowledgeable group of coaches and athletes as you have been enjoying.

Bottom line, if you want to improve yourself, understand that you’ve found a great group of knowledgeable and experienced advisers who are willing to work with you for free. But they will quickly fade away and write you off if you do not prove yourself serious, and most of all, respectful.

Good luck.

Participant
    davan on #119507

[quote author="Zack Trapp" date="1362720620"]Whatever. Clearly I can’t make one post in a log without you guys being total dicks. I just talked about what I did one day…which wasn’t even a planned training day…whatever.

Just ignoring davan would be a start. He’s a pain to everyone. Callam is not a dick, you would be wise to listen.[/quote]

Yeah, your advice is terrific and you’ve both coached a great number of good athletes and run such decent times yourself. Let’s talk more about the acceleration patterns of athletes that barely break 12 on a warm day with a bit of trailing wind or discuss their technique on flies.

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #119509

[quote author="Derrick Brito" date="1362751038"][quote author="Zack Trapp" date="1362720620"]Whatever. Clearly I can’t make one post in a log without you guys being total dicks. I just talked about what I did one day…which wasn’t even a planned training day…whatever.

Just ignoring davan would be a start. He’s a pain to everyone. Callam is not a dick, you would be wise to listen.[/quote]

Yeah, your advice is terrific and you’ve both coached a great number of good athletes and run such decent times yourself. Let’s talk more about the acceleration patterns of athletes that barely break 12 on a warm day with a bit of trailing wind or discuss their technique on flies.[/quote]

Dude you haven’t coached ANYONE. You’re post collegiate guy that runs 10.7X, Most people would have quit by now. And for all your ‘only do speedwork’ work advice, you haven’t comepleted a season since what, 2011?

The reason I talk about 12 second people is because most kids start there. An 11.5 guy might not be the star of the team, but he is a valuable asset to the 4x100m, hurdles, jumps, etc. And probably started running at 12.2 or slower. For you to ignore that shows your lack of real world experience, not mine.

Your comment about our times is ludicrous. I was plenty competitive when I ran track, but I moved one from that sport almost 8 years ago.

Participant
    davan on #119510

What the hell are you talking about? I ran 10.5fat last year in terrible midwest conditions (only ran 3 outdoor races because, you know, hard to working @ a hedge fund), ran 6.7 this year beating the Big10 champ and a number of athletes competing @ D1 nationals this weekend head-tohead, help out with the coach of group/club that has multiple high school girls with better PRs than you. I’ve literally PR’d in the sprints every year since 2008, albeit slow progress. If you want to start shit, let’s get it. If I didn’t break 15 handtimed in the hurdles I would’ve quit, too.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119511

Zack,

You’re getting some really good, consistent input from some very knowledgeable coaches/athletes. They know what they’re talking about. I’m actually pretty amazed that the posters responding to your log are still here, considering you truly don’t seem serious about training. By not being serious, I mean that you seem to spend much more time trying to work out the perfect plan than you do actually working the plan. At your age and ability, I truly think you should consider yourself very fortunate that these guys are still talking to you.

My advice, train four to five times a week, no matter what. If weather is bad, go to the gym. If you can’t get to the gym, do bodyweight and plyos at home. Get yourself into better shape and into a training mode. Then work on modifying a plan to suit your needs.

Zack, training programs, regardless of how sophisticated, are not the answer to a lack of motivation to train. The process of constantly evaluating and changing your plan can be, at times, a symptom of a lack of motivation and discipline. Like the Nike slogan, you should “just do it”. Once you are training consistently and begin noticing improvements (any program, even if not optimal, will give someone your age and ability descent results) you can modify and improve the plan. Seeing you log every day, or even a few times per week, will keep the Elitetrack members in your corner.

I wish I had been so privileged as a young athlete to receive the kind of technical input from such a knowledgeable group of coaches and athletes as you have been enjoying.

Bottom line, if you want to improve yourself, understand that you’ve found a great group of knowledgeable and experienced advisers who are willing to work with you for free. But they will quickly fade away and write you off if you do not prove yourself serious, and most of all, respectful.

Good luck.

Thanks for all that advice. I’m starting training on Monday, which is when I’m actually going to really dive back into training. Lately I’ve been just keeping things kind of light and stuff, which might have given the impression that I wasn’t willing to train hard…I don’t know. I’m sorry of what I’ve done the past few days has given you guys the impression that I wasn’t listening to the things you’ve been saying. Sorry if it came off as that.

Participant
    Jason Stayanchi on #119519

Really, who cares what time anyone runs. Just go out there and have fun. If you start stressing and obsessing about this time or that time then you won’t be enjoying it. It is a really competitive sport but unless you are running 9.x then you are just slower by different measures. If you run just to validate your self worth then you will be sadly disappointed I am afraid. Go out there and give it your best and stop worrying what anyone else is thinking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.