Yearly Training Plans for Jumpers

Posted In: The Classics

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #82898

I don’t understand how you consider short approach jumping low cns. I consider these very high cns-stress.The better jumper the higher the stress. If I jump 750 from 13 steps 10 times it takes alot of concentration,adrenaline and power output.And the concentration starts way before the session even starts because it is the most important session of the week.There is also some pressure and anxiety involved closer to comp.phase.This is nothing like extensive tempo or general strength in my opinion.

I think if you approach the short approach jumps this way this is very much the case. This is one of the reasons why I really tried to get Nick to stop measuring all his short approach jumps in practice. He does it less now and ultimately it’s not quite as big a stresor (for him) as I thought it might make it. I still wouldn’t recommend it for anyone else though.

In addition to increasing the anxiety (and thus intensity) of the short approach jumps, measuring them also makes it difficult for many athletes to focus on the technique rather than the mark. In the setup TK posted above, the short approach jumps are the primary technical development session and the short approaches are used with the understanding that skills can be learned more efficiently at sub-maximal speeds (although additional work will likely be needed to make a full transfer to full speed). When you measure the jumps, this is bad because when making technical adjustments it’s actually expected that there should be an initial performance decrement if a change is made. If your assessment of the effectiveness of a practice is the mark in the sand (short term focus) rather than skills learned to achieve those marks (long term focus) then it can create some conflicting issues.

ELITETRACK Founder

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #82903

I often wondered the same thing SAS809. Previous to Mike, this session used to be the key one for the week for me. I did it after a rest for example and jump very hard throughout the session. I did 6-10 jumps and from 14 strides and would often have all jumps in the 7.30m-7.50m range. In my set up then, this worked fine.

Now with Mike becuase of our set up and the value being more on other performance factors i’ve had to change up the way i do the short approach session. For example, yesterday i jumped from 11 and 13, but i only did 6 or 7 and i wasn’t running max out on the runway. I really only concetrated on one thing, which was the landing. From 13, i still jumped around 7.20m but i wasn’t trying to jump far at all. The overall stress of the session was very low in my opinion.

So, there are a few ways you can do a short approach session, i think both have a valued place in a program. This all depends on what stage of the season you are in. In my opinion,

* Short approach jumps should be max effort during GP,SP.

* Short approach jumps should submax and only for technique purposes during Competition Phase.

Participant
    tkaberna on #82906

Maybe because I am in a high school setting I would make my short approaches early in the year focused solely on technique to teach the kids and later on in the year I would move more to max effort jumping to sythesize the qualities we worked earlier in the year. I really dont like making radical changes during the comp phase, in my mind by then you should be smoothing everything out not working to correct flaws. Like I said maybe that is because I work with high school athletes.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #82909

Yeah i am talking about elite jumpers…most of which technique still needs work but wouldn’t have to be a main focus.

Participant
    Kebba Tolbert on #82911

The overwhelming majority of our SRJ sessions fall on general days. I currently am working with an elite jumper and we stick to this set-up. I am often encouraging her not to measure SRJs so that we can focus on what we are working on. I don’t encourage SRJ work to be “max effort” during any part of the year. We do, however, do approach runs close to comp effort with take-offs. These almost always fall on our speed-power days/CNS days.

Participant
    B Hobbs on #83404

Mike,

I was wondering if you could share your “ideals” for GP SP and Comp…..or is your the same as Niks because he is in your system?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #83406

Lol…

I would very much hope i am doing his ideal system!

Participant
    aivala on #84535

Hi people

Right now I were I live we are starting to have some cuban coaches living here in a IAAF regional development center. It’s were I train roughly three times a week and have had some insight to their training. I can confirm that it’s pretty much brutal and I personaly wouldn’t recommend it for anybody.
    There is one coach dedicated to the jumps, he currently coaches three jumpers ( pbs 7.37 / 7.30 / 6.7x). After having talked with the 7.37 guy and seen him training they pretty much have ridiculous bounding volumes and lots of lifting, even heavy stuff right before a meet.

For the NC the 7.37 guy in the waiting area told a judge “do I have time to hit the weight room?”. He disappeared for 20min and returned for the start of the competition. I can testify seing him doing one leg jumps like crazy, he commented “I have 200 left for today, tommorow I will work with my right leg”.
    Btw. the 6.7x guy is now 20, when he was under other system and was 18 he jumped pretty much the same. He has been injury plagged since the introduction of this training regime and has completely stagnated. In the NC he jumped 6.5x. The 7.37 guy has improved with this training, he had stagnated for some years and is now starting to get better. He has a multi physique anyway, and for the account of a respectable guy he suddenly had a big bulking up (accompained of an extrange skin issue) after attending a training camp in Porto Alegre, long before the cubans showed up here. The other guy (6.7x) is tall and shlanky and the 7.30 is very small and seems to be stronger.

They have done some big technical improvements, they usualy have a very very active penultimate and takeoff.

So if you have typical jumper physique I would steer away from any kind of cuban training.

Btw. they are there to coach anybody who wants, they are state paid so you just have to show up and get coached for free.

Participant
    aivala on #84766

Ok, sorry for delay. Been busy. Here is my general prep phase. Obviously slight variations will occur. But this method listed below has worked very in the past.

GENERAL PREP

Saturday
    AM = Tech Devel – 8×6-8 stides jumps (over hurdle, working specific ques)
    Hurdle mobility
    PM = Accel Devel – 10,20,30 x2-3

Sundays
    AM = Plyometics – 2 foot (30-50 contacts)
    PM = Wt. room (circuit)
    Ankle strengthening

Monday
    AM = Conditioning – 300, 250, 200 x2 (75%)
    PM = REST

Tuesday =
    AM = Rehab
    PM = REST

Wednesday
    AM = Accel Devel – Short hills
    PM = Power devel – Med Ball (10 ex x 6 reps of each)

Thursday
    AM = Endurance Bounding – 3-5 ex 5 reps (40m-80m each ex)
    PM = Weights Circuit

Friday =
    AM = 20 min jog + lesen up
    PM = Rehab and REST

Is your training modelled the english-way? Like Stanleys way?

Btw. I am continuing my research on cuban jumping coaches here in Argentina. In the early 90s there was a guy who happened to have 10 jumpers, of which none survived the training after two years.

Participant
    aivala on #94532

Hi people,

I revive this to make an update about the cuban coaches in Argentina. The “long jump star” under his guidance ended, as predicted, in catastrophe. But one much bigger as thought, in fact with triple tibia fracture during a meet.
    I knew he was going to be wrecked but couldn’t imagine that much.

Viewing 10 posts - 106 through 115 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.