Yearly Training Plans for Jumpers

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    Chad Williams on #82138

I had a question about the running as well . . .

It seems that you are doing a sort of Long to Short type program with runs at 800m early on and tapering down from there. I also see very little in the 10-30m range which some may consider the most important. Is there some aspect of the training we are missing? Or do you not do any runs under 50m?

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82143

[quote author="TrkNFld" date="1240481993"]Yeah it makes more sense with loads than just “high, medium, low” like we find in many publications.

However I have always looked at like this

Week 1- Jumpers endurance (what dominates this weeks training: heavy bounding, 150m – 300m)

Week 2- Technical (what dominates this training: runways, last 4 steps, film)

Week 3- Speed (what dominates this training: stride length+frequency work, first 6 steps, short approach jumps, 20m – 60m)

GP)
    Week 1- 80%
    Week 2- 85%
    Week 3- 90%
    (idea is to slowly empty the tank and refueling during week 4)

SP)
    Week 1- 70%
    Week 2- 100%
    Week 3- 90%
    (focus on tech week and create similar movements at higher speeds in 3)

Comp)
    Week 1- 70%
    Week 2- 95%
    Week 3- 85%
    (ending ideally w/ week 4 being a big meet)

Like to come out of meet weeks with a lighter load to get the feet back under the athlete.

I tell my athlete

Week 1- “re-tune”
    Week 2- “re-fine”
    Week 3- “re-engage”
    Week 4- “re-ward”

Your basically asking your athlete to go into a technical phase the week after doing a very hard and high volume bounding week. This is far from ideal and i would never do it like this. Yout set up has all the technical (high focus) type stuff happening during a time when they are fatigued both muscularly and CNS wise. I don’t why you would do that.

Also, unloading for a competition at the end of week 4 should START towards the end of week 3. 85% load the week of competition is not ideal either…[/quote]

To be far I am not going at the %’s every day for that week. That is about my average. I do unload Friday, Sat going into an off week but that weeks average is still at about an 85%.

Maybe I missed your idea of load % because a week of 80% conditioning would be like for me:
    M- 80 T- 90 W- 50 TH- 90 F- 70 S- 75 (giving me about an average of 80%) I am not looking at 80% the whole week.

I guess we are just different because I would never want my athletes to go from an endurance based week into a major competition.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #82144

Right…i agree…

But again, I would never switch emphasis’s per week. I have never actually heard of that method before.

Linear models switch during blocks. But week to week? I would never do that.

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82146

I group anything from about 50 down as runway training instead of a workout. I include stride markers, initial burst say out of the back in long / triple, proper runway mechanics here. If I do sleds, hillwork and stadiums which are done for the most part at or under 50m I am amplifying knee drive / heel recover as we see on the runway as opposed to simply having them run for fitness. So I label it as runway and not running.

If you look at any elite HJ, LJ, TJ, or PV somewhere before the become specialized they where good at 1, 2, or 3 other events. I don’t focus a HJer down. To me it seems ridiculous unless they are already established (Great). I have to laugh when I see a HS athlete who only HJs because I can almost guarantee they are as unfit as the throwers.

Take a look at Tia Hellbaut (2008 Olympic Gold Medalist) High Jump
    She has also LJ 6.44, TJ 12.06, 200m 24.65, HH 13.91

I will only focus an athlete down if they are performing something exceptional. With beginning and intermediate level athletes I have always made better gains coaching more the biomotor abilities as opposed to more of the event. Professional specialize because they have (for the most part mastered the biomotor abilities) making learning the technical stuff come easier and more natural.

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82147

Right…i agree…

But again, I would never switch emphasis’s per week. I have never actually heard of that method before.

I guess I am confused on what you mean by me “switching emphasis per week”…

Do you mean that I stop during week 1 all I do is endurance, week 2 only technical work…because that is incorrect. I blend my training and include aspects of endurance, technical, and speed work into every week. However I group weeks as endurance, technical, and speed work when they are at a greater load than the other two

Participant
    Chad Williams on #82148

[quote author="Nik Newman" date="1240517659"]Right…i agree…

You go 3 weeks straight working on 1 component only? How do you not switch emphasis going from endurance, to technical, to speed?[/quote]

Why the emphasis on endurance inseason? Maybe your definition of endurance and mine are different so please elaborate further on this. I would think any week with an emphasis on endurance would have negative affect across the board. I have weeks where the overall load is high and we do a lot of circuits, prehab, rehab and auxillary work, but I wouldn’t label it endurance.

Participant
    Chad Williams on #82149

I group anything from about 50 down as runway training instead of a workout. I include stride markers, initial burst say out of the back in long / triple, proper runway mechanics here. If I do sleds, hillwork and stadiums which are done for the most part at or under 50m I am amplifying knee drive / heel recover as we see on the runway as opposed to simply having them run for fitness. So I label it as runway and not running.

If you look at any elite HJ, LJ, TJ, or PV somewhere before the become specialized they where good at 1, 2, or 3 other events. I don’t focus a HJer down. To me it seems ridiculous unless they are already established (Great). I have to laugh when I see a HS athlete who only HJs because I can almost guarantee they are as unfit as the throwers.

Take a look at Tia Hellbaut (2008 Olympic Gold Medalist) High Jump
    She has also LJ 6.44, TJ 12.06, 200m 24.65, HH 13.91

I will only focus an athlete down if they are performing something exceptional. With beginning and intermediate level athletes I have always made better gains coaching more the biomotor abilities as opposed to more of the event. Professional specialize because they have (for the most part mastered the biomotor abilities) making learning the technical stuff come easier and more natural.

What level of athletes are you working with currently?

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82153

Division 1 Mid-major / also coaching a 1 of my former athletes for Worlds this year (PR is 16.64). His country’s (Barbados) standards are ridiculous. You pretty much have to guarantee a medal in order for them to take you.

From my experience it is easier to focus and athlete down that to add more work so

Endurance to me can mean a number of things: A) working at “phrase pace” 70% (pace where you can only speak about 1 sentence clearly before needed to catch your breath) B) short recovery C) Volume / low impact D) maximize ground contacts

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82156

[quote author="TrkNFld" date="1240519523"][quote author="Nik Newman" date="1240517659"]Right…i agree…

You go 3 weeks straight working on 1 component only? How do you not switch emphasis going from endurance, to technical, to speed?[/quote]

Why the emphasis on endurance inseason? Maybe your definition of endurance and mine are different so please elaborate further on this. I would think any week with an emphasis on endurance would have negative affect across the board. I have weeks where the overall load is high and we do a lot of circuits, prehab, rehab and auxillary work, but I wouldn’t label it endurance.[/quote]

I don’t emphasis endurance (running / bounding). I use it as a week to get my athletes legs back under them. Slow controlled work at about 70% effort. There will be afew days that week there we will crank it up and to drilling but my endurance week is more of a controlled running and jumping. Remembering positions and engraining them over a longer distance in preparation for better execution the coming “technical” week.

You can look at it this way if you would like….

Week 1: slow-medium
    Week 2: medium-higher
    Week 3: medium-high

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #82198

Here is what my prefered linear plan looks like…

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82214

Interesting to compare and contrast I will use your set up and show my training

but before I start…

TECHNIQUE
    Approach at: are you just working the specific phases there?

RUNNING
    Sprints: effort level? distance?
    Conditioning: effort level? distance?

WEIGHTROOM
    conditioning: is the circuits?

BOUNDING
    fast: would you include something like B,B,B,B, finish here

I will get working so we can compare models and look foward to having these answered.

Keep in mind that mine will be for a college indoor season attempting an NCAA championships mini-peak

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #82217

My program has lots of open interpretation…For example, lots of chooses and variations depending various situations. (how the athlete feels, etc etc)

But i’ll go over the basics…

Technique – this means actual long jumping at specific stride numbers. The athlete moves back when ready. Being ready is dependant on various factors…

Running – Sprints are basically all under 60m. Many different workouts. Including – 5×20 + 4x30m, 10,20,30,40,30,20,10 etc etc…Basically accel development leading to Max V as time permits…
    Conditioning basically means tempo – 6x200m, 150’s, etc etc…

Weightroom – conditioning is general circuits yes. Very simular to a Bompa set up. During SP and Comps the staples are cleans, squats, jump squats, bench, eccentric squats, speed step up, core work, hip flexor work.

Bounding – Fast means speed bounding over 20m to 30m. Timed as well sometimes. Also do bounding races within a group.

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82232

If I am following you right this is what I would be looking at…

Again indoor season for an Elite Male College Athlete.

Probably some problems because I enjoy tables. Just seems less cluttered to me.

Color coded to show the basic phases of my training

General, Specific, Maintenance (Winter Break), Competition

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #82234

Isn’t this FUN!!!!!!! (i’m serious)

I like your program too…

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82242

This is what I love most. Comparing and contrasting…talking theory and philosophy.

Our stuff has been downloaded over 70 times. I just wish others where contributing and not just leaching

I mean I haven’t settled on 1 model for more than 3 years. I am constantly tweeking and love to incorporate other ideas to see if it betters my own.

Oh and I noticed “mixed bounding” is that like H,H,S type stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.