Who is the world’s fastest human?

Posted In: Polls

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19030

[i]Originally posted by Flash[/i]
    I got it from a television program called the nature of things here in canada. The host is nobel prize winner David Suzuki. But now that I thought this over I do believe that they were running downhill, being in mountain terrain in all.

Whatever Dr. Suzuki said is embellished for television because it’s setting off a 5-alarm alert on my B.S. meter. Even if they are somehow able to run extremely fast downhill (this is somewhat of a skill that requires quite a bit of recklessness) there is absolutely NO WAY to determine that they were running upward of 12 m/s. Were there somehow timing eyes on the mountain that could determine the exact velocity of each person (as there have been in all major championship races of the past 20 years)? Perhaps as some of the people ran down the hill to save their lives, others stood on the side of the hill and took 10m splits for all the people as they ran past a set of markers that had been accurately lade out prior to the catastrophic event. Using these 10m splits they then calculated there velocity?

On a side note, is it so hard to believe that people can achieve supernatural strength with the proper motivation. There have been many examples of this with ordinary people, like mothers lifting up a car to save their trapped child. Some things happen that can’t be explained and I dont see how running would be any different.

I would again ask you to show me a source regarding the “mother’s lifting a car off of a child.” I looked in desperation trying to find one years ago but never found anything other than people saying that it happened without ever giving details (where, who, when, etc.). You’d be surprised how many things like this are accepted as fact without ever having a lick of supporting evidence or truth. I think that it’s nothing more than urban legend. Always be skeptical!

Having said that, phenomenal feats of strength or athletic performance are possible due to decreased neural inhibition brought on by extraordinary circumstances. For all cases I’m aware of though, the results have been realistically within the limits of human capacity. A 100 lb mother (as the tale goes) lifting a car off of a child doesn’t fit into this category nor does a group of untrained people running at velocities faster (even if achieved downhill) than those ever recorded by the fastest individuals under the most perfect conditions (mondo track, speed suit, spikes, etc.) in the world who have trained for years. If you can find proof from a credible source to support the “woman lifting a car” story I’ll send you an ELITETRACK t-shirt for free.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #19031

I would think running on concrete downhill in flats would be faster than downhill on mondo with spikes.

I once pushed a Plymouth Champ out a snowbank in the middle of the country soused like you could not believe, my best friends and I, 2nd and 12th in 800m at State Meet their senior seasons were out skiing on the back of the car. I don’t reccomend this by the way. Just an example of mind over matter, I weighed about 120lbs at the time and it was a plymouth Champ.

as for 12m/s, that is faster than the Human body can possibly withstand over any distance greater than a couple of strides. Downhill running requires significant skill development.

Participant
    tkelly5 on #19032

yeah.  Downhill running isn't so much running as falling and catching yourself at the last second, hehe.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #19033

Where is my t-shirt?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19034

Where is my t-shirt?

Where's my proof? If you're referring to the free t-shirt deal neither you nor anyone else provided what I asked for….proof from a credible source that the legendary "frail old woman picking up a car" stories are true. All you provided me with was a story of you pushing a car and some speculation about downhill running. I've seen many people push a car. I've never seen a lady pick one up.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #19035

j/k

Not speculating about running downhill though.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19036

j/k

Not speculating about running downhill though.

Oh really?

I would think running on concrete downhill in flats would be faster than downhill on mondo with spikes.

This sure sounds like speculation to me. Now I'm not necessarily saying it isn't true but I've never seen anything to indicate that it's necessarily true. Whatever the case, I'm closing this topic since it's gone so far off-topic and the poll options and results are very outdated in light of recent developments in the sprint world (namly the emergence of gatlin, obikwelu, crawford and powell)

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.