Who is the world’s fastest human?

Posted In: Polls

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #8277

Who do you think holds the title of world’s fastest human. Obviously, you can use whatever criteria you want (Olympic medals, consistency, dominance, WRs, etc.)

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    daa20 on #19001

I feel Michael Johnson is the fastest man in the world because if you were to take his 200m time (19.32) and seperate it into even 100m splits (9.66) it ends up faster than the fastest 100m race (9.78) ever run. Since the first part of a race is most often faster than the second part Michael Johnson is undoubtidly the fastest man in the world. Using the simple Mathematics that all children of the United States of America must go through I have determined that Michael Johnson IS the Fastest Man In The World.

-David

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19002

I thought about what you said and almost put MJ on the list. At the time he ran his 19.32 (1996), I would say with very little reservation that he was the fastest guy in the world….in that race he ran the curve in 10.1. 😮

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    pete on #19003

But if T-mont or Maurice Greene were to run 100m against him with a 30-40m runup they could probably beat him and break the 100 record in the segment after the 30-40 by a lot.
    Anyway, I think the poll is who is the fastest now, not of all time or I’m sure Ben Johnson and a bunch of others would be on the list.
    How can Marion be the fastest human?

BTW I realize this poll is old and hasn’t been responded to in a while, but I’m new to this board.

Participant
    2belite on #19004

[i]Originally posted by Daa20[/i]
    I feel Michael Johnson is the fastest man in the world because if you were to take his 200m time (19.32) and seperate it into even 100m splits (9.66) it ends up faster than the fastest 100m race (9.78) ever run. Since the first part of a race is most often faster than the second part Michael Johnson is undoubtidly the fastest man in the world. Using the simple Mathematics that all children of the United States of America must go through I have determined that Michael Johnson IS the Fastest Man In The World.

-David

I think you have it wrong on this one. For an elite sprinter(200m man) the second 100 is faster than the first, dont forget the 2nd hundred starts with a running start. As Mike pointed out his first hundred was 10.1 so his 2nd was 9.2. Mike I also must disagree with you, there is no way MJ was the fastest man in 96. L et’s look at the max velocity he achieved, it’s no where close to Donovan’s

Participant
    daa20 on #19005

Sorry, I took the side of a high school athlete instead of a college athlete or coach :P, I havent really done too much to show that the second half is faster, we work alot on speed but not at the finish, more towards the beginning and maintaining the speed. But since the time shows that I guess thats how it works.

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #19006

since we are tlaking about the fastest human shouldnt this be an easy thing to determine since all we really have to look at is the athletes max velocity which only occurs for a second?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19007

It all depends on how we classify world’s fastest human. If we’re solely talking about instantaneous velocity for 1 second(i.e- m/s for 1 sec duration) then the answer would be pretty cut and dry. If however, we look more deeply in to it, we might consider things like “fastest over a certain distance” or “fastest relative to their competitors” (including genders and sprinters of past generations), or even “fastest average velocity over a given period of time” (2+ seconds) rather than instaneous velocity. We might even consider something like m/s values sampled over times less than a second. That is, if we further break down the “1 second of MaxV” there are surely subdivisions (10ths or 100ths of that second) within that one second time frame where the person is actually travelling faster than the velocity reported for that second. Not taking sides here, but there are clearly several ways to look at this, and this was one of the reasons why I put this poll up, because I thought it would help to get to the root of people consider to be the world’s fastest means.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #19008

mike,
    i hear you but im saying what if there was only a way to know where they hit their fastest time and shoot a special radar gun that tell us the miles per hr.

Participant
    2belite on #19009

If it was base on max velocity, then the choices would have to be between Carl, Ben and Tim. I don’t think there are any official splits on Donovan’s 96 race, so I don’t know if he should be included in the above choices.

Participant
    x-king on #19010

I know this is a late reply (soryy!).

But you're right there were no official split times taken for Donovan Bailey's 9.84s in Atlanta.

The only split times I have found are translations from the velocity curve shown on all TV screens by swatch timing.
    From this, DB's projected 10m Splits were;
    RT:0.174s (round-up to 0.18s)
    WInd:+0.7m/s.
    10m: 1.90s (1.72s)
    20m: 2.94s (1.04s)
    30m: 3.88s (0.94s)
    40m: 4.75s (0.87s)
    50m: 5.59s (0.84s)
    60m: 6.42s (0.83s)
    70m: 7.26s (0.84s)
    80m: 8.11s (0.85s)
    90m: 8.97s (0.86s)
    100m: 9.84s (0.87s)

Fastest 10m Split:
    0.83s, 50-60m.

(Note that a 10m split of 0.83s represents a peak speed of; 12.048m/s or 26.95mph. And not 12.1m/s as the Laser Gun has shown his peak speed to be)
    50m Splits:
    5.59s/4.25s = 9.84s (ex-WR)

The web site;
    https://www.chnsport.com/mainCesu.htm shows extracts for instantaneous speeds at 30m point by LAVEG laser, max speed and speed at 100m point. For Bailey in Atlanat'96, it gives 11.29m/s at 30m point, max speed 12.01m/s at 50m point and 11.30m/s at 100m point. In that race, Fredericks reached 11.67m/s at 55m and Boldon 11.87m/s at 53m.

The information aboves comes from Pierrejean, who can be found at the IAAF.org Forums, Track & Field News Forums, Charlie Francis.com Forums & rarely on the Run-Down forums.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #19011

Instead of getting so scientific. what you might want to ask yourself is, who would you want on the track to win the biggest race?

I say Michael Johnson

Participant
    pete on #19012

What if the biggest race was a marathon?

Participant
    400stud on #19013

MJ—-hands down. A 100m time that beats a lot of pure 100m sprinters' PR's and the 200m AND 400m WR. There's no competition.

Participant
    coachformerlyknownas on #19014

Dan, Dan, Dan

to think I was such a fan of yours over your 4 yr career… (kidding, still impressed with your acheivements)

MJ's biggest race one could argue, was never at the Oly or WC's which in most cases he never really had a threat.

You could argue that his biggest race, in terms of world attention, $$$, competition, pressure, etc. was the infamous 150m against Dovovan. And we all know how that went.

Given the arguement as presented, I will take Donovan on his 100m in 96 and his embarassment of MJ in Toronto.

MJ's next big event could come soon? A run from the law and public opinion if they go into the freezer at Dick Pound's "House of Potential Horrors" up in Montreal and pull a frozen sample to test?

I would re-state the poll question to:
    Who was/is the fastest, CLEAN athlete ever?

Just the discussion over "clean" will be loads of fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.