What’s the most important weight room lift

Posted In: Polls

Participant
    Zach Batcho on #19171

there is a difference between knowing limits and using heavy weight. i see people miss at 95% of there max all the time and that is under their "limit". and if you dont push the envelope every now and then you won't know your limit. not using straps is a way to build grip strength without focusing on grip specific things. saves on time.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19172

there is a difference between knowing limits and using heavy weight. i see people miss at 95% of there max all the time and that is under their "limit". and if you dont push the envelope every now and then you won't know your limit. not using straps is a way to build grip strength without focusing on grip specific things. saves on time.

"You're a runner not a weightlifter."  why are you going 95% if your an athlete? There are other ways you can work on grip strength and still use strap for hang clean/snatches for example pullups, chinups or you can add 2-3 sets into your BB circuits. 

Participant
    winnesota on #19173

Whats so bad about doing 95%?

Participant
    mortac8 on #19174

Hang cleans are the most important lift for me.  If I pr in hang clean and don't run well, I think the universe implodes.

Participant
    rrheyn on #19175

Good points, but what i do with this. When i run long distance my bodyweight on one leg is 2 x my own bodyweight, when i do sprints it goes up to 4 x my own bodyweight and when i go for long jumps and triple jumps  it is 6 X bodyweight on one leg. I am 70kg, so 420 kg comes on one leg. What is the need for light weighttraining , even when i do long runs. Its still 2 x 70kg=140 kg that comes on one leg. My coach let me train with weights from 20kg – 40kg! I train now on my own and get from 50 kg to 110 kg in Sq's, its notting yet,ist only 150 % but i feel i get stronger and faster.

Participant
    Zach Batcho on #19176

utfootball the comment "You're a runner not a weightlifter," is reference to my coach telling me its alright if my squat or clean max doesn't keep a great deal as long as i get faster. from personal experience i've seen more runners perform better under a powerlifting/weightlifting program than under a bodybuilding program. high weight near maximal and very low weights has always allowed me gain strength without unwanted hypertrophy.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #19177

i would always say the clean….but this season it doesnt seem to me all that important…so id say squat…

Participant
    Zach Batcho on #19178

squats are good because there are so many variations you can do with them. just by changing the bar, method of resistance like adding bands, or creating isometric tension you can add in a decent amount of different stimuli.

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #19179

clean easy.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19180

For me it is cleans or squats. Bench press doesn't even make my top 5. I think I could really accomplish the same things with either of those two exercises but I'd just need to alter other aspects of the program (assuming I stick to the hypothetical task of only doing one exercise) depending on which one I chose.

As a related note to some of the comments above, I frequently use percentages upwards of 90% in training. Overall, I'd say that most of our 'work' sets for the OLs are about 85% although we do use lower weight sets. One of the thing I like about heavier loads in group settings is that they force the athlete to train with the desired intensity. If for example, the exercise prescription called for 5 x 3 @ 70% with an emphasis on speed, the athlete could pretty easily just go through the motions because the weight is so low. This can be problematic in group settings where it's difficult to monitor every single set.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.