What’s the most important weight room lift

Posted In: Polls

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #8284

If you had to choose only one lift you could do for a track athlete (don’t ask me why you’d only be limited to one) what would it be?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    acbjr on #19157

without a doubt i would choose the clean and jerk

Participant
    lorien on #19158

clean

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #19159

deadlift

Participant
    wisconman on #19160

snatch

Participant
    john-c-s on #19161

Back squat, as well as a max weight exercise you can get power benefits by varying the way it is performed.

Participant
    acbjr on #19162

while i partially agree with john c-s about the squat being the best simply because you can do so many variations with it, if you were only limited to one variation of an exercise the clean and jerk with a full catch on the clean is a tough one to beat.  however, lets hope it never comes to this where you are only limited to one lift.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19163

squats its the foundation to all other lifts..

Participant
    rrheyn on #19164

as a beginner squats for me, Dl's are very important, but i find them difficult to manage properly without the right technique.
    Whats the max squat or DL the best elite sprinters can perform ?

Participant
    anthony on #19165

Well, i dont think there is a lift that  directly transfers to sprinting… I believe what eventually transfers to the track, is  the general strength of the organism (the charlie francis concept)…I consider the general organism strength as the OVERALL recruitment capacities of the athlete. Given the strength gained in a movement range crossovers to all other movement ranges (maybe due to complex neuro-hormonal interactions) makes lifting very general in nature, and i dont think squats are necessarily better than bench …

Bench is VERY useful in a sprinter's program, imo
    1) Its a tool for max strength expression. Its a big compound movement recruiting around 35% of the total musculature of the body, and based on the general organism strength concept, it makes your whole body stronger even the legs (indirectly)
    2) Its a very useful lift to maintain general strength qualities, during injuries where u can't do sprints, or squats or anything involving the lower body. Its also useful during tapers.
    3) It strengthens the organism, without undue fatigue to the legs, which are SPECIFICALLY trained to produce strength through actual sprint work anyways

So i consider it an equally useful lift as squats.

Strength= CNS power + muscle cross sectional area+ leverages…

So if you have very strong lifts relative to your bodyweight, and you dont even have good leverage for the lifts themselves (eg. long femurs for the squat, or long arms/small ribcage for bench), then rest assured you have a very strong neural output. That general quality is what transfers, i think.. And this quality can also be developed through track work! So each thing influences the other, max speed influences strength in the gym and vice versa

those were some random thoughts (influenced by CF)

Participant
    star61 on #19166

Well, i dont think there is a lift that  directly transfers to sprinting… I believe what eventually transfers to the track, is  the general strength of the organism (the charlie francis concept)…I consider the general organism strength as the OVERALL recruitment capacities of the athlete. Given the strength gained in a movement range crossovers to all other movement ranges (maybe due to complex neuro-hormonal interactions) makes lifting very general in nature, and i dont think squats are necessarily better than bench …

Bench is VERY useful in a sprinter's program, imo
    1) Its a tool for max strength expression. Its a big compound movement recruiting around 35% of the total musculature of the body, and based on the general organism strength concept, it makes your whole body stronger even the legs (indirectly)
    2) Its a very useful lift to maintain general strength qualities, during injuries where u can't do sprints, or squats or anything involving the lower body. Its also useful during tapers.
    3) It strengthens the organism, without undue fatigue to the legs, which are SPECIFICALLY trained to produce strength through actual sprint work anyways

So i consider it an equally useful lift as squats.

Strength= CNS power + muscle cross sectional area+ leverages…

So if you have very strong lifts relative to your bodyweight, and you dont even have good leverage for the lifts themselves (eg. long femurs for the squat, or long arms/small ribcage for bench), then rest assured you have a very strong neural output. That general quality is what transfers, i think.. And this quality can also be developed through track work! So each thing influences the other, max speed influences strength in the gym and vice versa

those were some random thoughts (influenced by CF)

If you read CF more carefully, you will see that he actually focuses on posterior chain training in the weight room. Benchpress is probably the best overall upperbody exercise, but does very little to increase posterior chain strength. YMCA's and other clubs are full of kids who bench but never squat. Their legs are still small and weak, and they have no lower body power, and less speed.

Squat is number one on my list, followed by power cleans.

Participant
    wisconman on #19167

do you guys use wrist wraps when you're doing cleans?

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19168

do you guys use wrist wraps when you're doing cleans?

When i did performed ol's i would use straps for the hang clean/snatch but never for the power clean/snatch.

Participant
    Zach Batcho on #19169

no i feel it takes away from grip strength. it also backs it harder to bail on a lift with straps. with straps i've actually had the bar slide down my shin and ripe off a nice section of skin because i couldn't get away from the bar quick enough. never had a similar problem when i don't use straps.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19170

no i feel it takes away from grip strength. it also backs it harder to bail on a lift with straps. with straps i've actually had the bar slide down my shin and ripe off a nice section of skin because i couldn't get away from the bar quick enough. never had a similar problem when i don't use straps.

You shouldn't have to bail from the weight, should always know your limits. I hate when coaches bring up grip strength, if you are trying to develop grip strength then use other means.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.