Warming Up. Stretches.

Posted In: Flexibility

Participant
    jazzyjustjazzy on #43438

I was curious if warm-up stretches should involve general stretches and dynamic stretches( full range of motion )… what kinds would be best recommended?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #43439

I was curious if warm-up stretches should involve general stretches and dynamic stretches( full range of motion )… what kinds would be best recommended?

Use both. There are benefits to both. I generally reserve static stretching for low-intensity days and / or post-workout.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    winnesota on #43440

While doing dynamic stretches would it be bad to "bounce"- meaning if I were stretching my hamstring on the ground reaching for my toe with some speed after I had already dynamcically stretched it?  Just so that I feel the full range of flexability in that muscle?

Participant
    aussie800m on #43441

i have a guy i compete against who went through school winning nationals for 800m and 1500m, and he's current our u20 national champ for 800m (1:48 i think). anyways a few meets ago i was warmin up with him before our race, we done the usual jog, static stretch and all but then he was doing this stretch that was like he starts off sitting on the ground with both legs out infront. he'd touch both his toes at once then he'd roll back so that the back of his neck was still touching the ground but his toes were also touching the ground above his head [if that makes sense] then he'd roll back down and touch his toes. he was really putting some speed into it. is this stretch suitable or not a good idea, i was just waiting for something to snap while he was doing it.

Participant
    winnesota on #43442

Damn, that sounds crazy!

Do you mean once he touched his toes he would lay down and bring his legs past his head so that he could touch his toes to the ground behind his head?

Participant
    aussie800m on #43443

yeh exactly.. he really picks up speed when hes's doin it..
    my thought is either his hammys will give way or something will pull in his back from the bending

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #43444

If I'm understanding that stretch correctly, my guys do it about 3x a week. We call it a dynamic plough and have never had any complaints other than when we do it during AM pre-meet shakeouts. These are typically at 8-9am and the vertebral discs are still saturated  with fluid (from sleeping) which makes the stretch more difficult than usual.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    winnesota on #43445

Im gonna try it….sounds exciting

Participant
    Jay Turner on #90215

As far as warmup goes, I usually tell my athletes to make sure to keep their sweatpants on throughout. I’ve found that this seems to make the body sweat, release toxins and enhance stretching. However, I’ve been yelled at a couple times about this by my schools’ athletic trainer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Participant
    Miele-Scott on #90217

that stetch you talk about winnisota, I do all the time after Im about done my stretching. it feels very good if you are properly warmed up.. if its good for you i could not say though haha

Participant
    trck400mrnnr on #90786

Alright, so I need some back-up here. I have been competing in Track and Field for 10 years (since 7th grade 😆 ) I was lucky enough to have coaches through high school and junior high who were up to date and experienced. I have always performed dynamic stretching and warm-ups. Now I got to college and immediately that was gone. The team sat in circle and static stretched for 10-15 minutes. Which I COMPLETELY disagreed with. If you by any chance had gotten your heart and blood flowing before hand by jogging you just sat down and cooled off. So I continued with my own dynamic stretches and warm-ups. Now we did do “form drills” which were a dynamic warm-up (a skips, b skips, etc.) this was right after sitting for 15 minutes…then right on into the workout. Now I am an assistant coach for this same team and have brought up the stretching routine…but alas…to no avail. The head coaches are “die hard” distance runners. This doesn’t bode well for the sprinters and jumpers. SO what research can you find me and what advice can you give me to help either change their minds or find a way to save our sprinters!!

Participant
    Floppel on #90933

Have them watch this video:

By the way, it also contains the “weird” stretch Azz88 mentioned above at about 7:00. There’s also part 2 and 3 which you can find by clicking on the video.

Participant
    Jay Turner on #97132

Should distance runners use a dynamic warmup? Or is it OK if they do mainly static stretches for pre-race warmup?

Participant
    rainy.here on #100551

i have a guy i compete against who went through school winning nationals for 800m and 1500m, and he's current our u20 national champ for 800m (1:48 i think). anyways a few meets ago i was warmin up with him before our race, we done the usual jog, static stretch and all but then he was doing this stretch that was like he starts off sitting on the ground with both legs out infront. he'd touch both his toes at once then he'd roll back so that the back of his neck was still touching the ground but his toes were also touching the ground above his head [if that makes sense] then he'd roll back down and touch his toes. he was really putting some speed into it. is this stretch suitable or not a good idea, i was just waiting for something to snap while he was doing it.

I’ve seen MVP athletes do this.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.