Warming Up. Stretches.

Posted In: Flexibility

Participant
    utfootball4 on #43423

before as in warmup.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #43424

No I don't think it would be a problem. I don't personally incorporate any static stretches into my pre-comp warmup but I've seen plenty of successful programs that have.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    glyn on #43425

Lorien, What other ways do you find effective for warming the muscles up?

At the moment i jog 1mile for my warm- up…Would you say thats about right or are there more useful methods?

Thanks

Participant
    flight05 on #43426

we do a dynamic warmup for 800 meters.
    we will do various drills like arm circles, backwards running, jumping jacks, lunges, etc for 50 meters and then we will jog the other 50 meters in btw each 100 m segment for a total of 800.
    we then do light static stretches followed by dnyamic movements, dynamic stretches, hurdle drillls, running form drills, and strides.

Participant
    runningman on #43427

Last month, a chiropractor was performing a new type of therapy for injuries that have caused or were brought about by incorrect or inefficient motions when running.  He was saying that your pain was caused by a binding of two muscles instead of smooth sliding across each other  during a movement.  ( He wasn't saying that this encompasses all injuries but are a kind of injury )

He actually performed a session on 3 athletes who had severely altered there techniques because of the pain.  Right after the session was done they ran a few hundred feet and experience (I'm guessing) a 70% recovery of their effective motion which had been hindered by the pain of the binding of muscles.  So his technique as I saw was a success.  Their pain was also gone.

He also told us that static stretching before a race can have the negative effect of arousing the part of the nervous system responsible for relaxing and sedating you.  He said it is better to do dynamic stretches (perhaps where you are moving as you stretch) which cause your nervous system to make you active.  He said making use of a towel while you pull your leg through stretching motions forward and back or side to side for example is a dynamic stretch.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #43428

Lorien, What other ways do you find effective for warming the muscles up?

At the moment i jog 1mile for my warm- up…Would you say thats about right or are there more useful methods?

Thanks

I'm not Lorien (duh) but I there are better means of warming up than a 1 mile jog. Look through some of the warmup protocols and get some ideas. Including activities like skipping, calisthenics, dynamic flexibility / mobility, and other activities seem to be a better alternative than just jogging. Also, try to make the warmup specific to the tasks of the session. If you're doing a speed session for instance it would be helpful to include some activities (buildups, maybe some low level plyos, etc) that will really help to prepare you for the work ahead.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    runningman on #43429

:bouncy: :bouncing:

Would build-ups be fore a short-distance workout have a small increase in length and intensity from beginning to end?  What general distances and intensities would you recommend?  Also, what are plyos?

Thanks,

Running man

Participant
    utfootball4 on #43430

:bouncy: :bouncing:

Would build-ups be fore a short-distance workout have a small increase in length and intensity from beginning to end?  What general distances and intensities would you recommend?  Also, what are plyos?

Thanks,

Running man

400m builds are the best

Participant
    Carson Boddicker on #43431

400m builds are the best

That's a pretty damn long buildup run.  I usually would keep it 5-15 seconds (~35-130m) in length. 

Participant
    heartsonfire on #43432

I have recently cut out jogging from my warm up program and I'm trying to get my athletes to do the same.  My warm up consists of dynamic work, light stretching of the the hammys, calves, quads, and groin.  Then I add some more dynamic work, move to first step quickness, sprint drills, and stretching if needed.  At a meet it's quite a bit different.  As long as I am sweating, feel warm, I know I'm ready to go.  It's more about making sure you have a good sweat, warm, rather than how much you stretch.

COMPETITION WARMUP
    Part 1 â?? in flats
    1. 4x50m jog
    2. 50m backward run
    3. 50m Skip with arm circles
    4. 50m Caricoa
    5 50m Side swings
    6. 50m A's front&side-5 every 10m – R leg
    7. 50m A's front&side-5 every 10m – L leg
    8. 50m jog
    9. 30m buildup â?? walk back
    10. 30m buildup â?? walk back
    11. 50m-10m knee-chest/10m knee-elbow
        10m knee-shoulder/20m lunge walk
    12. 10x iron cross, scorpion, hurdle seat
          exchange, leg swings
    13. 30m buildup â?? walk back
    14. 30m buildup â?? walk back
    15. 4x10contacts + 10m run-out
        A's, SLB, FL

Part 2 â?? in spikes
    1. 30m acceleration
    2. 30m acceleration
    3. 20m falling start â?? hand on knee
    4. 20m falling start â?? hand on knee
    5. 20m start from blocks
    6. 20m start from blocks
    7. Relax
    8. 20m start from blocks
    9. Leg shaking
    10. Race

Participant
    flow on #43433

i recently started using bbc on recovery days and love them.  now i´m wondering what you guys think of using a  general strength circuit like bbc/bwc/mdc consisting of 12/14 excises/1min rest as the general part of warm up followed by increasing specific things?
    for example:

gsc
    200m of running+dynamic stretching
    mach drills (2series)
    build-ups (3-5×60-100m)
    short acc. (2/3×10-15m  relaxed)

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #43434

I think it would work just fine but I'm not really sure why you'd prefer doing it as a warmup instead of as the actual workout. I wouldn't do it on high intensity days though because you'd either have to reduce the volume or intensity of the low intensity work to ensure the high intensity work is kept at a high level (in which case you wouldn't get the primary benefits from that type of work) or you'd have to sacrifice the quality of the high intensity work.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    flow on #43435

i thought of it as a warm up for high intensity days.  i noticed that on low intensity days i always felt very fresh and "activated"  after the first half of the bbc (the second half than usually killed me ; )  so i concluded that using that first half  as a warm up might be cool.
    but i get what you're saying.  it would practically mean that i would do some sort of gs work 6 days a week,  3 of those paired with high intensity lifting and sprinting.  that would be killer.
    thanks

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #43436

I'm not saying it wouldn't work ok. Vern frequently uses medball and calisthenic circuits as warmup. My point was that if you're trying to get the traditional benefits of weightlifting circuits at the same time as using them for warmup, you might get compromised results.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    flow on #43437

thanks.  i just intended them for warmup on high intensity days

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.