Vison, View, Vista

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #16393

With all of the great responses from the Poetry in Motion blog I will throw out this common issue with training. How much feedback is necessary, and what style matches what athlete. I don’t have the answer but my guess as little as needed. That is hard. No epic sagas but couplets and haikus. How to do it? Well that’s why 20-30 years will bring more answers than questions. Currently in year 12 my

Continue reading…

Participant
    The Muse on #92536

How much feedback largely depends on the setting. Are you coaching, teaching and training one individual, a small group or a team?

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #92540

Carl:

I really love this post and I think you could expand on it more. However, is not feedback constant and always present? Certainly verbal feedback doesn’t have to be constant between coach and athlete, but non-verbal feedback is always present even with coaches who have great poker faces. Also a coach must take care to make sure the feedback athletes give themselves is given in the proper doses and in the proper types of feedback. A coach must intervene at times to ensure athletes are not giving the wrong types and doses of feedback to one another in practice and competition.

For those of you who are wondering what I mean by types of feedback, there is motivational feedback and corrective feedback and sometimes they are one in the same. My personal thoughts are motivational feedback should be given far more often than corrective feedback, corrective feedback should not be given in a competition setting unless it is in the warmup and only as reinforcement of things already practiced and taught. If it hasn’t been practiced or taught that is something a coach can include in next weeks training plan. A coach should remember saying “hey, settle down a bit” or “hey, pick it up a bit and get pumped” can often correct many errors that occur in a competitive setting. Giving motivational feedback and cues at the same time as corrective feedback and cues often results in more errors and problems. In track and field, I see this with jumpers and throwers and I know many of you have as well they miss their first jump or fault on their first throw and the coach says “hey, you forgot to block and lets get pumped you can beat these guys.” The athlete then goes on to fault on all of his next attempts as a bad block, becomes a bad plant, which becomes an improper start which is likely where this all started in the first place.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.