Vibration Training

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #14926

Whole Body Vibration Training? Don’t believe the hype. Some of my peers use it judiciously so I am not saying that it does nothing but frankly let’s get real. We have some proponents that must be using the vibraflex as a pillow at night because they are saying outlandish statements. Based on the peer reviewed research vibration training is washed out of a complete program. When Jordan dunked in

Continue reading…

Participant
    johnstrang on #73274

I was just about to start a thread on this. I do my lifting a sports club and I feel like all the personal trainers have their customers on the vibration plate. I checked it out a couple times, but only did stretches after a heavy lifting day to see if it helps loosen me up. As far as a training tool I think its ridiculous. At the gym I used to work at it even had a sign under it saying use of this machine will cause some sort of age defying process at only 1.50 per minute!

Are there any benefits to this machine though? or is it just a PT scam? What about recovery?

Richard777 on #73059

First off it’s great to read someone that has so much passion that it borders on the line of crazy. And in my book most successful people are a little crazy so that’s a good thing. I recently was invited to sit in on a power plate cert. My first issue was their jargon, my seconded issue was everything was to be done on the machine. In the general public I find most people can’t even handle solid ground training. My wife has the luxury of having a powerplate in her office and she finds some great benefit’s with this tool (a warm-up before working out or a recovery day) Like anything if you abuse it or dont fully understand it we won’t get the full benefit for it.

I personally like the tool for my sport and most of my desk driving clients. I think some groups and individuals will benefit from this tool and some won’t.

What’s good for one, my hurt the other and make a third worse.

Participant
    Rich Tolman(mr-glove) on #73219

It’s like focusing on the color schemes for the lampshade in the boys room before the foundation is even poured.

To borrow from Poliquin, “they used stamp collectors for that study.”

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #73278

just standing on a vibration machine for a period of time had been proven to increase swing speed for baseball/ softball batters…

dont know much about it but theres a few people doing their thesis on it at my school.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #73471

Carl-
    I know you wouldn’t go out and buy one for use but if you had one readily available would you use it?

I know for certain that I would. I don’t think it’s necessary and probably isn’t really cost effective but I think there could be some nice uses for it from metabolic training all the way up to CNS potentiation. The evidence seems to be growing for the benefits of appropriate use of WBV.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    johnstrang on #73479

Carl-
    I know you wouldn’t go out and buy one for use but if you had one readily available would you use it?

I know for certain that I would. I don’t think it’s necessary and probably isn’t really cost effective but I think there could be some nice uses for it from metabolic training all the way up to CNS potentiation. The evidence seems to be growing for the benefits of appropriate use of WBV.

I have access to one at the gym I workout at. What kind of things would you want me to do on it… if any?

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #73480

What about the possibility that using such a machine could result in a natural resonance between body and vibration platform were the athlete’s molecules subsequently self-destruct and ends up in a pile of mush.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #73481

Carl-

Passive stimuli are not what I use as I must get specific contractile rates and muscle patterns to elicit the right lactate and neurological metabolic responses. CNS potentiation without coordination is not useful to me. Even if I had it I would not use it.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #73499

What about the possibility that using such a machine could result in a natural resonance between body and vibration platform were the athlete’s molecules subsequently self-destruct and ends up in a pile of mush.

This is a very real concern. That’s why I always recommend wearing one of the old one piece plastic sweat suits from the 70s. That ensures that cleanup is quick and easy.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #73500

Passive stimuli are not what I use as I must get specific contractile rates and muscle patterns to elicit the right lactate and neurological metabolic responses. CNS potentiation without coordination is not useful to me. Even if I had it I would not use it.

I kinda look at it like this- it doesn’t have to be completely passive (one could do exercises on the platform); it isn’t really passive (since contractions and excitation is taking place)…more non-volitional than passive; finally, many sporting activities involve reflexive responses that are above volitional activities.

Do you use EMS?

ELITETRACK Founder

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #73501

Better use of terms Mike thank you….speaking to athletes in my little world is making my word use poor. I use EMS but the stress is in harmony with my program. Tendons, bone, and ligaments are more affected by vibration training and I don’t do plyos and olympic lifts on them. Isometric holds? Squats? Not needed in my program.

Participant
    oshikake@ymail.com on #115093

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #115095

The point of the video been that cheetahs purrrrrrrrrr as a form of vibration training?

Participant
    Mccabe on #115096

JC you get banned on most forums for necroing dead topics.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.