Train Fast!

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Vern Gambetta
    Participant
    Vern Gambetta on #17181

There is an excellent feature article in today’s New York Times magazine section on University of Oregon Football called Speed Freak Football by Michael Sokolove. It got me thinking of training for and at “game speed” in a myriad of sports. In many ways it is quite simple – to play fast you have to train fast. Train for the game you play with an understanding that in most cases the games are

Continue reading…

Participant
    Eager on #103804

Vern, love your blog…

BUT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, WHY MUST YOU SHOW A PICTURE OF THE FILTHY BIRDS DEFEATING MY BELOVED HUSKIES??????

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest.

Participant
    star61 on #103812

“Training” is a very broad term. In football, I agree that practice should not be conducted at 76% speed run through. Running plays, and most game skill specific drills, should be done at 100% speed. But not ALL training, especially supplementary training such as weights and plyos, conditioning, etc. needs to be done at 100% speed. Sometimes these type of comments can be confusing in that way.

Participant
    mortac8 on #103815

Train fast…they’re talking about running a hurry-up offense the entire game.

Participant
    burkhalter on #103817

” date=”1291684906″]Train fast…they’re talking about running a hurry-up offense the entire game.

I don’t see the parallel either. They are going to get killed in the champ game anyway.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #97015

The most obvious parallel is the demands of fitness and speed of the blur offense. Not saying that Jimmy is doing miracles, but you must be fit enough to handle the short rest intervals and not be killed with injuries.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.