Title IX-Shame

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Vern Gambetta
    Participant
    Vern Gambetta on #13728

In the Saturday New York Times sports page there was an alarming article on James Madison University and their solution for compliance to Title IX. This whole issue of title IX compliance is not something I fully understand. How can it be equal when it is just men’s sports that are being cut? The sports that are being cut, men’s swimming, gymnastic, wrestling, track & field and cross c

Continue reading…

Participant
    Chad Williams on #68046

While I agree that football plays a major role, it has more to do with poor budgeting that anything else. These schools need to look at travel expenses, hotel rooms, multiple charter busses, catered meals, and all other unneccessary expenditures rather than just taking the easy road and cutting a sport. Teams can most certainly keep football and all the other sports they currently have, it is just a matter of keeping track of who is spending what, where, when and how. Title IX plays the scapegoat to crappy budgeting and they need to modify the prongs so schools can't just utilize it as an easy remedy. 

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #57676

While I largely agree I think that much of the focus for that budgeting evaluation must be placed on football. More importantly, their may very well be a philosophical problem with Title IX….that is that women's participation at the high school level is less than for their male counterparts so trying to make things equal at the next level might not be the right idea. This is a perfect example of equal not being fair and fair not being equal. I'm 100% in support for the concepts underlying Title IX but in practice it is not really working when sports like men's track and wrestling are being dropped left and right.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #57677

https://insidehighered.com/news/2006/10/03/jmu

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.