This is getting Ridiculous

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #14671

Today Usain Bolt continued his string of ridiculous performances by running a 19.67 for 200m in Athens. This guy’s performances are getting ABSURD. He makes his competitors look foolish. I watched Tyson Gay look as dominant as any sprinter I’ve ever seen in person last week when he ran 9.68 and 9.72 but I couldn’t erase from my mind how he got blazed by Bolt only weeks before. Now Bolt comes ou

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Kebba Tolbert on #70902

what makes it even scarier is that 1) he was falling forward the last 20-25 meters and 2)most of the margin of victory came in the last 100m. he could have been *under* 19.60

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70903

Yeah….I would love to know what the split was for the 50m segment between 115-165m….4.45 seconds?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    winnesota on #70910

Wow insane-o big strides

Participant
    hscoach on #70914

with the right conditions (wind, lane 7, competetion) the 200m record may fall. but would it be wise for bolt to go for the record so close to the olympics? he may need to just cruise until the important races or he will end up injured.

Participant
    Novice on #70916

UB has also improved his race distribution…he used to gun the first 100. This is much better.

Participant
    premium on #70932

after such a dominant performance…maybe the record is in real danger

Participant
    Rich Tolman(mr-glove) on #70942

Amazing improvement! Any thoughts on what might be responsible for such a breakthrough?

Participant
    mortac8 on #70943

He ran 9.72 for heavens sake so PRing in the 200 (by .08) is to be expected. I wouldn’t be surprised he runs 18 some day. Just have Spearmon piss him off and give him some flojo wind.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70949

He ran 9.72 for heavens sake so PRing in the 200 (by .08) is to be expected. I wouldn’t be surprised he runs 18 some day. Just have Spearmon piss him off and give him some flojo wind.

18???? Maybe as a 4 x 200m relay split but sub 19 in the open? I think it would require Obadale wind for that to happen.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    mortac8 on #70958

[quote author="mortac8" date="1216074829"]He ran 9.72 for heavens sake so PRing in the 200 (by .08) is to be expected. I wouldn’t be surprised he runs 18 some day. Just have Spearmon piss him off and give him some flojo wind.

18???? Maybe as a 4 x 200m relay split but sub 19 in the open? I think it would require Obadale wind for that to happen.[/quote]
    Personally, whenever he takes a dump on good ol’ MJ I think I will still be more surprised that he ran 9.72. Hell, Mennea couldn’t break 10 if his life depended on it and he ran 19.72.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70959

Yeah but the 19.72 was actually an altitude assisted 192m record since Mennea ran on the line and at Mexico City altitude. I’d guess that puts the performance at 20.0 range.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    RussZHC on #70960

UB has figured out how to keep frequency high without having to sacrifice as much stride length as other 200m runners. I agree with previous comments he is running a 200, not trying to make a very good 100m “last” over 200m.
    I don’t know the details but he is prepared and expecting to run that fast or faster, you can see it in his eyes, his body language, by the way he is carrying himself. There are faster times yet to come. Peaking too early?

Participant
    davan on #70961

Is it that surprising that a guy who went 19.7 w/ 10.0 (sub 20 already at 16 or 17) PRs with 9.72 speed?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70963

Is it that surprising that a guy who went 19.7 w/ 10.0 (sub 20 already at 16 or 17) PRs with 9.72 speed?

Well, I tend to think that he was probably faster than 10.0 when he ran the 19.7 and what I’ve really been amazed at is how convincingly he’s winning. I know there was no Spearmon or X at Athens but it was an IAAF Grand Prix and he totally roasted those guys as if they were running with wooden legs. Even when I saw Dix run his 19.68 it didn’t look as impressive as this run. Also notable, is 1) the string of unbelievable times and 2) Bolt now joins only 2 others (Gay and MJ) for having 2 times under 19.8.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.