The Holy Grail

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Vern Gambetta
    Participant
    Vern Gambetta on #14851

Why is it that each generation of young coaches has to go in search of the Holy Grail, that place or person who has the answer? Over the past several months I have run into too many coaches starting out in the field or early in their career who are seeking the answer. The problem as I see it they do not yet know what questions to ask. They have not made enough mistakes yet to sharpen their skills.

Continue reading…

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #72341

What is this Holy Grail which Vern keeps bringing up. I thought it was another indirect shot at Dr. Deadlift. I think a lot of young coaches get into the business for the quick buck that is not there. I see know problem with a young coach who is searching for a holy grail. They will learn.

Participant
    Winning22 on #72404

Dr. Deadlifts Holy Grail was something less than to be desired.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72406

Dr. Deadlifts Holy Grail was something less than to be desired.

Blaphemer! His Holy Grail produced the fastest HS sprinter of all time!

Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Winning22 on #72407

haha this is a first! mike responded to me! It is an honor.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #72416

To give Dr. Deadlift a little credit it’s not like Bob Kersee has done anything wonderful with her either. Except make her possibly the best 400m runner in the world running 100m and 200m races at the championship level.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72418

To give Dr. Deadlift a little credit it’s not like Bob Kersee has done anything wonderful with her either. Except make her possibly the best 400m runner in the world running 100m and 200m races at the championship level.

Agreed. I actually think his program is better than most of them out there (although I strongly disagree with his understanding of research and biomechanics) but it’s funny how, initially at least, he used Allyson’s success as his selling point when he didn’t coach her sprinting workouts and by several accounts she did not find his program to be as effective as he claims. Also, the fact that her incredible HS 200m time was achieved at major altitude was always overlooked.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.