The Anti-Dope to Sled Abuse

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #15142

After request for video we did some video of a session that demonstrated some key aspects of the proper use of sled training. Don’t be fooled by gurus that think that loading up a sled and pushing it is going to be the most effective way of using the tool as their own youtube clips prove they don’t understand speed. When doing sled work the key is to allow the athlete to improve acceleration mec

Continue reading…

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #75257

But why is this athlete using such short choppy strides…i dont work on this when i use the sled…i work on really extending my strides further right from the stride…i wouldnt say this athlete is developing sprinting power to an optimal level.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #75258

But why is this athlete using such short choppy strides…i dont work on this when i use the sled…i work on really extending my strides further right from the stride…i wouldnt say this athlete is developing sprinting power to an optimal level.

I am curious about the samething.

Participant
    Chad Williams on #75259

Awesome blog!!

To answer both UT and Nick’s question, I believe Carl addresses that in the third paragraph. The stride length should return to normal once the load is reduced. The concern is primarily with the shin angles and by prematurely extending the stride, the proper progression of the shin angles would not be preserved.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #75260

The reason athletes don’t open up, is that the sled they are pulling uses a harness to reduce air time by keeping the athlete down by virtually leashing them. Preventing excessive hinging of the knee will teach athletes to push back more, something that a load of near 10% of body mass will do.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #75261

the way i see it, is your push very hard while using a sled to extend your stride as much as you can while still accelerating…

I’ve found this transfers very well into having a large stride in normal sprinting and having a poweful push back on each stride.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #75262

Based on the rough export of the clip Nick I just don’t see your transfer.

The load we are using is to keep his strides cut a bit being a hurdler and we are focusing on his first 8 strides as he must keep them reduced. My pure sprinters use a lighter load closer to 8-10% instead of 10-12%. The point is look at the shin angles from the start and how the tibia doesn’t roll down like your video does. We need pushing with reduced ground contact times WHEN we sprint but allowing the athletes to feel comfortable and execute at 90% + speeds with 100% effort helps with acceleration. With more distance comes more air time that can allow for a foot swing. Also the shin angles are preserved to be more pushing.

Power in our program comes from the olympic lifts and speed work (sometimes plyos for pure sprinters).

EDIT: Working on stride length can be done from a combination of weight work, plyos, and coaching. I have had guys run in the 6.4s at 60m so the classic modes are not hindering things. Anything different than sprinting will compromise something in order to help something else.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #75263

lol…nice one…so now i dont have good stride length? my 43m 19 strides approach doesnt suggest that either right?

anyway…the way of using the sled you are suggesting is not what i am used to…is not what coaches back home do or other european coaches to that i have read/seen. Sled use is a great way of developing power…

i dont see the puspose of it if your not fully extending each stride and driving forward more more than your video shows…

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #75264

I look at your 40m time, and, the way you accelerate Nick. I am following near 10% load and no less than 90% of a 30m base time of a 10.4 sprint (100m). We are working on shin position and he is a hurdler working on the first 13m. Look at our 40m times, stride technique at 10m sprints to judge after our sled protocol. I can get anyone to bound out but we are trying to accelerate nearly half a second faster than you do for 40m.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #75265

Lol…your as funny as most of your threads are…

Trust me you do not have anyone running 4.40 for 40m testing the way we did…

I have numbers of Greg Rutherfod with the same test and he isnt running anywhere close to 4.40 Electronic. And i am positive he is faster than your guys…

I am a long jumper not a sprinter…Chris Tomlinson runs only slightly faster than 4.80 with the same testing protocol and jumps 8.30 and 10.7 m/s on the runway…

who the hell cares about YOUR sprinters…

you beleive what you do…fine…but to start talking about MY speed is childish and completely off point but if it makes you feel better, im glad…

Participant
    davan on #75266

Nick, is it necessary to take everything personal? Whether or not you agree with his use of sleds, I think he has explained his purpose pretty clearly. I agree that it is different than what is done by most, but there is a historical basis for it if we look at guys like Dan Pfaff and Charlie Francis, who have both said they use a 10% principal with regard to sled loading and resultant speed.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #75267

What? When did i ever take it personal until he started talking about ME…i never made this about me…he did…

i said my opinion and that was it..

The people on this site are so rediculus sometimes…

Participant
    davan on #75268

The DHEA must be going to your brain.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #75269

i never said a word about 10% load…thats what i use also…

i made a comment on stride length…

Participant
    utfootball4 on #75270

Damn fellas simmer down, i can tell the season is near bc the t-levels are getting high. Hey Nick you need to cut the dhea. lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.