Tellez article

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        utfootball4 on #56235

thats some old school stuff 2-3mile run

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #56236

That was really common for the time. Perhaps it was the contrast in training stimulus (VERY high intensity anaerobic days vs. aerobic days) that made for effective training. I don't think I'd recommend too many steady state runs though…at least nothing above a pedestrian jog.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        davan on #56237

Mike,
        Is there really any benefit to the extended intensive tempo we see in a lot of old school programs and even some more recent ones (like Lance's)? So many athletes have ran fast doing it, but it could just be genetics, judging by the folks in those programs.

Participant
        Kebba Tolbert on #56238

some genetics… some "auxiliary" fitness… aerobic work does play a big role in recovery due to the intensity and the variance. some programs just do it all the time. There are many options for aerobic stimulus and recent research has shown that short and sweet has huge aerobic pay-offs.

Participant
        utfootball4 on #56239

some genetics… some "auxiliary" fitness… aerobic work does play a big role in recovery due to the intensity and the variance. some programs just do it all the time. There are many options for aerobic stimulus and recent research has shown that short and sweet has huge aerobic pay-offs.

i understand that it plays a role in recovery, what other benefits and how do athletes run fast on it?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #56240

Mike,
        Is there really any benefit to the extended intensive tempo we see in a lot of old school programs and even some more recent ones (like Lance's)? So many athletes have ran fast doing it, but it could just be genetics, judging by the folks in those programs.

It's hard to explain the overwhelming number of people who've succeeed with programs including lots of tempo work. At the very least I think we can say that if you either are starting with someone who already has great speed or balance it with speed work in the program that it won't ruin a guy. I personally don't think it's the best way to train for a short sprinter but there's no denying the anecdotal evidence that says you can still run fast while doing it.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.