Takeoff Mechanics in the Long Jump

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    K Rackley on #78778

No such thing as muscle memory but thats for a different thread…i know what you mean though…

The development of elastic strength is very hard. I would say just as hard as developing speed. Workouts for this purpose are very high intensity and are as much about training the Central Nervous System as the muscles involved therfore you can’t really do it everyday. Possibly you can if the intensities are varied each day. But for max benifit high intensity/ max effort is needed.

Until this season my non LJ take off leg was my best bounding/ reactive leg. And after a good winter training my LJ take off leg is noe equal or better than my other one. I believe that while you are doing the same amount of work on both legs, if you key in your mind and focus more during the weaker leg jumps that leg will improve quicker than it would normally. It shouldnt take you too long.

Nick, I have question about some of the workouts you gave me. They have helped so much. I’ve been doing the workouts ever since you told me what they were and I can feel that it is much easier for me to get A LOT of height off of a high velocity jump. But what’s been worrying me is my left ankle. As I said before, my left leg is my weaker leg and my takeoff leg. The probably normally happens when I’m doing hops on my left leg, my ankle tightens up and then I have to stop. I’ve been doing the workouts you prescribed with both legs but with more of an emphasis on my left thinking that it was the one that needed it more. I do get more height when it doesn’t endure prolonged jumping activity like a quick bound, but using it after a while, it starts to get really fatigued and tight. Should I just stay off of it for a few days?

Edit: It’s not exactly my ankle, it’s the area right above it.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78779

Im glad your doing well. Do not over do it, no need to hammer it hard everyday….every other day is enough!

I wouldnt do either leg more than the other…

also, make sure your strengthening your ankles in all directions…(with a band for example, or towel…3×10 each way for example…everyday or every other day)

and ice after each workout…

Participant
    Novice on #78781

For best long jump landing illustration see Jackie Joyner

probably the best on both the landing on both the mens and womens side.

Hard to focus on technique when Gomes is jumping:)

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78782

cant agree at all…that’s just like Dwight…

Her hips are way back therefore how can she possibly be getting the most distance out of it?

Participant
    Novice on #78788

Well that thing is 7.30m at minimum

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78789

The jump? Yeah she was a great athlete (drugged up) athlete wasn’t she…

nothing to do with the landing though.

Participant
    Novice on #78795

If you slow down the video you will notice that her hips a not as far back at touch down as it appears at full speed. Other than the posture, her arms sweep back nicely,decent leg shoot,gives at ankle, knees, and hip at group contact.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78797

leg shoot is nice yeah…but imagine that same leg shoot with the hips infront of the shoulders when feet hit sand. (like gomes, al sabee, saladino etc) another foot or so on the jump.

Participant
    K Rackley on #79018

Im glad your doing well. Do not over do it, no need to hammer it hard everyday….every other day is enough!

I wouldnt do either leg more than the other…

also, make sure your strengthening your ankles in all directions…(with a band for example, or towel…3×10 each way for example…everyday or every other day)

and ice after each workout…

I talked to a friend yesterday and he confirmed that it’s not actually my ankle that’s hurting, but my lower calf. It seems to tighten up a lot and hurt, but this only happens when I’m doing exercises like single-leg hops. I can still do calf raises fine. I iced it a few nights ago and it still seems to be at it, not at the intensity as it was though. I’ve completely stopped the eccentric workouts for now. Should I keep icing it everyday or stop running for a while? Also, I’ve got a meet coming up next Wednesday.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #79027

Well, i ice everyday, no matter if im hurting or not. It just helps with recovery. PRE-hab, is much better than RE-hab…always remember that.

You may need to give it a rest if it’s been like this for a while…

Participant
    K Rackley on #79222

Yeah, I think not giving it a rest was the thing because I only iced for like 2 days expecting to come back 100% the next day.

I’m fine now though. I iced my calf the entire weekend and tried to keep as more pressure off of it as possible; didn’t even run until yesterday. It’s perfect, 100% again. Ice will definitely be used for this and other very strenuous workouts.

Participant
    sizerp on #79935

Can anyone comment on the way Bayer’s right heel is rotating inwards around the toes during his right leg’s ground contact in the penultimate step?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #79936

I’m confused…do you mean his foot is turning outwards on his penultimate? I can totally see that, very drastic as well…

but i don’t see what you see…

Participant
    aivala on #79937

His penultimate is extremelly interesting. He hits directly under his COG with toe first, so that when the foot makes contact with the ground his take off leg is past the contacting leg, so that he creates some kind of acceleration throughout the jump (just try it and you will feel it).
    That way he reduces the normally incresed GCT of the penultimate since the jumping leg is in front of the COG at the moment of penultimate touch down, taking less time for the rest of the body to travel over the planted foot.

His free leg also remain flexed in front of him almost until the top of the jump, he doesn’t swing it backwards immediatly.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #79938

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Y_LA7onjo

FIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAA can you translatE!!!!!! ppplllllease? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 334 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.