Takeoff Mechanics in the Long Jump

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    aivala on #78388

hmm, and this one of saladino?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVdrKHrOMwQ

The inverse situation? His ass landed at 9.5m +/-.

Btw compare his attack on the board with the other jump of “just” 8.73m. It’s the only jump of him in which he really attacks the board, in all the others he kinda slows down.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78391

Thats because he actively kicked downwards to push his hips pass if foot mark…If he had no legs he would have landed at like 8.50m instead of 9m.

Participant
    aivala on #78390

This is getting me lost, lol. I always thought that a good landing is whenever the butt and leg marks are parallel to each other. So how do you depict a good landing?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78393

Simple…

The feet hit the sand as far infront of the body as possible AND AND AND AND are the LAST mark in the sand.

If what your saying is true, then landing on your side in an L shape is a good landing…

Participant
    aivala on #78394

Would you mind getting a video of this? I got completely lost.

thanks

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78395

Gomes does it NEARLY perfect here…You see her feet hit right at the yellow line and her final mark only a tiny bit in front of the yellow line…

This i beleive is as close to perfect as possible.

Participant
    sizerp on #78396

The guy’s feet land like a foot in front of him, but due to the flight path angle it looks as if it would be imposible for his torso to reach the mark of the feet.

Or?

I call for take-off mechanics dissection of this guys jump. To me, the way he runs and takes off does not match with a 8+ m jump.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78397

Remember he is very tall and he is running very fast although it doesn’t look like it. Put that with his high COG at take off and good lift and he’s jumping far!

Participant
    sizerp on #78398

it doesn’t even look like his hips get projected beyond the board. And that leg kick … I’d get yelled at, followed by a biomechanics lesson if I did it like that. Then again, I’m far from 8m. I’ll try growing a little taller.

Participant
    K Rackley on #78399

So if you have a higher COG, you get farther? (Giving the advantage to tall people)

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #78401

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpeCVQkbtA

Gomes does it NEARLY perfect here…You see her feet hit right at the yellow line and her final mark only a tiny bit in front of the yellow line…

Gomes seems a little early (no advantage gained over traditional leg shoot) and Al Sabee appears a little early too but quite good.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #78402

I know Powell used machines (kruger/smith? or sthg of air driven machines)a lot for his training.

He used Kasier pneumatic resistance machines. They are one of the few machines I would use if I had them. They were big in the 80s made a little comeback not too long ago and seemed to have faded away a little again.

It seems to me that the double hitch kick makes achieving good landing positions pretty difficult. F.e.: Lewis, Howe, Philips. All those guys with excellent landings are either single hitchkickers or hangers.

You do realize that you’re saying that the top 2 guys ever and the arguably 3 of the top 10 ever are inefficient. Most applied statisticians would say you’ve got it backwards. I actually think they all have quite good landings.

Btw, where the ass lands is more or less where the COG lands and the practical maximal achievable distance?

No not really. In the LJ and TJ you can achieve a recorded distance considerably further than the COM is projected. In fact, that is the point of the latter parts of this discussion it would seem.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #78403

So if you have a higher COG, you get farther? (Giving the advantage to tall people)

Yes if all else is equal but to be honest the height of projection is actually quite negligible among the range of athletes in a normal height range. What is extra beneficial and related to height of COM is that the person with a higher COM typically has longer legs. This means they can project the hips further in front of the toe before takeoff and project the feet further in front of the COM at landing. This can be fairly significant.

ELITETRACK Founder

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #78417

I have to disagree. Can you post a video of the “perfect/ best” landing you can find please in your eyes…

thanks.

[quote author="Nick Newman" date="1235125384"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpeCVQkbtA

Gomes seems a little early (no advantage gained over traditional leg shoot) and Al Sabee appears a little early too but quite good.[/quote]

Participant
    aivala on #78428

You do realize that you’re saying that the top 2 guys ever and the arguably 3 of the top 10 ever are inefficient. Most applied statisticians would say you’ve got it backwards. I actually think they all have quite good landings.

I have always had the impression that Lewis landed more or less standing up, more or less like Howe does. But I won’t discuss this anymore, there are too many arguments proving I am wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 334 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.