Stacked 200m at Pre Classic

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #13059

Check this out:Eugene will never be known as Speed City. But it will be home to some of the world's best sprinters on June 10 at the 33rd edition of the Prefontaine Classic at Hayward Field. A star-studded field in the 200 meters was announced by meet director Tom Jordan on Wednesday. Jamaica's Asafa Powell, the world record-holder in the 100, and American Jeremy Wariner, the reigning

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        utfootball4 on #64648

damn mike can we vote for 2, its gonna be very close xman vs spearmon.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #64649

X hasn't looked great in his first couple meets but you obviously can never count out a talent like him.

Wariner is running fast (at 400m) but I don't think he has the top end speed to compete with the big dogs over the furlong.

Powell is somewhat of an unknown. By some accounts he could have run a 19.50 last year when he shut things down en route to a 19.90.

Spearmon appears to be the safe bet as he was most consistent last year and always seems to be race-ready.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        RunnerMan on #64650

X hasn't looked great in his first couple meets but you obviously can never count out a talent like him.

yeh, he could well rip out another crazy performance if he's up for it on the day.

Wariner is running fast (at 400m) but I don't think he has the top end speed to compete with the big dogs over the furlong.

Yeh, his 200m's aern't as quick as you'd expect for a 43.62 runner, even for someone with world class endurance. I think he needs to run sub 20 before he breaks MJ's world record, or develop the strength of an 800m man. He's talking up breaking the 43 barrier this year, but realistically, he'd need to be in 19.9 shape at worst, and probally 19.8 shape, all without losing any of his endurance.

Powell is somewhat of an unknown. By some accounts he could have run a 19.50 last year when he shut things down en route to a 19.90.

too true, he could come out and break the WR for all we know, a massive unknown. I'd like to see him concentrate more on the 200m then what he's done so far, I rekon the WR could be his with a year or 2 in the specialty.

Spearmon appears to be the safe bet as he was most consistent last year and always seems to be race-ready.

yeh, i choose him, he's in good form and is the most consistent of all this young breed of outstanding 200m runners as you say.

Participant
        QUIKAZHELL on #64651

I agree with Mike on X. Seems to early for him yet.
        I'll say Spearmon in 19.67-.71. For some reason I can see Powell backing out last minute or pulling up.
        Warnier will be behind from the gun. If Gay was in the race I think he would be the favorite.

Participant
        RunnerMan on #64652

For some reason I can see Powell backing out last minute or pulling up.
        Warnier will be behind from the gun. If Gay was in the race I think he would be the favorite.

Yeh, I can so see what you mean, Powell is probably only a 50/50 chance of running the meet, if that.

Yeh Wariner will be, but geez, over that last 50m he could well move up, I doubt to win, but i'd like to see him hit 19's before the world's.

Interesting, do you rate Gay as favourite for gold at Osaka? I'd certainly have him up there, no doubt, but I do like Spearmon at the moment.

Participant
        mortac8 on #64653

If Asafa runs I will eat my hat.  I say more of a 1/99 chance of him running.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #64654

If Asafa runs I will eat my hat.  I say more of a 1/99 chance of him running.

I'd guess that too. He's got too much on the line (at least in his and his manager's mind) to risk losing to 1 or maybe even 3 of those guys. Meet promoters have got to be aware of this because he (and many others) do it all the time. He did it at Penn Relays this year. I guess they bring them in nonetheless though because just having their name on the meet promos sells extra tickets.

The only events with guys that NEVER seem to avoid each other or save face with false injuries is the 110m Hurdles and the shot put….both events with comparable mega-studs and depth and no lack of loaded competitions.

ELITETRACK Founder

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #64655

Also wanted to add that we may get a semi-preview for the Pre race tomorrow at the Adidas Track Classic where Spearmon, Carter, Merritt, Crawford, and Vaden battle tomorrow.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        utfootball4 on #64656

i think it funny you guys are counting out x man, he has the speed and the strength of wallace.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #64657

I'm not counting out X. In fact if at full strength I don't think there's anyone that can beat him. My concern is that he hasn't shown great race-fitness in his last couple competitions.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        utfootball4 on #64658

I'm not counting out X. In fact if at full strength I don't think there's anyone that can beat him. My concern is that he hasn't shown great race-fitness in his last couple competitions.

who has he race against so far this yr – any top runners? i think great competions bring out the best in runners like him, hes very competitive.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #64659

I'm not going to get in to a debate putting down X because I'm a huge fan but he did race Alleyne Francique (world indoor champ at 400m and 44 low 400m runner) about a month ago over 400m and dropped out at 350m. He also didn't race too well at the indoor Tyson invite where there was great competition. I have full confidence he'll run very fast this year. I'm just not sure if he can beat this field at this time. We'll get a better idea after tomorrow.

ELITETRACK Founder

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #64660

I can't wait til Nationals when Dix's newfound 200m skills will be put to the test. I think X will be race ready by then and we already know Gay and Spearmon are ready to blaze. Four guys with 19.6x prs running in the same race. Unbelievable.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        g-force on #64661

i certainly fancy wallace to win this, he is very consistent over the 200m and has the confidence going in. Unlike X who hasn't looked to be in race shape just yet. from the evidence of his previous meets. As mentioned above though you cant count out a guy with this much talent, same for Asafa.

I know jeremy had plans of sub 20 this year but that cant be justified with his early performances. So far he has started off slower than last year.  Whoever wins im sure it will be fast and fun to watch.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #64662

Carter takes it with a late charge in 20.23, Spearmon in 20.25, and Powell in 20.5x. The times were slow due to weather conditions. Powell was leading through 170 and then appeared to shut it down as Spearmon and Carter pulled up on him.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        J Kilgore on #64663

Powell really did look like he turned it off…would have been nice to see him finish.  Even though times were slow, I thought JW would be closer to the mix than he was.

Participant
        utfootball4 on #64664

Carter takes it with a late charge in 20.23, Spearmon in 20.25, and Powell in 20.5x. The times were slow due to weather conditions. Powell was leading through 170 and then appeared to shut it down as Spearmon and Carter pulled up on him.

guess i was right, one of the few to vote for mr x man

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #64665

Given previous performances this year it seems like the times were about 0.3-0.4s slower due to the weather than what they would have been under ideal conditions.

guess i was right, one of the few to vote for mr x man

True but you wanted to vote for Spearmon too 😉

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.