Sprinting on Treadmills Part 5

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #13555

Some Closing Pros and Cons of Treadmill Running:Pros:Provides constant or controllable climate conditions.Can be instrumented with biomechanical analysis equipment potentially providing valuable kinetic or kinematic data.Shock dampening surface…softer surfaces should reduce the risk of injury. High speed treadmills permit an athlete to work top end speed independently of acceleration a

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    grprahl on #78150

This series was interesting to me primarily because right now I’m training at Frappier Acceleration. Good list of pros and cons, and I like that you cited the research. I’d like to say that at least for me and other athletes in the same boat, treadmill running can be the ONLY way to get in speed work this time of year. We still have snow on the ground. In fact, the whole month of January only had 1 day that warmed to above freezing. One day. So if given the choice between treadmill and overground running, I would choose ground running. But in the cold weather months, it appears that benefits can be gained from treadmills (at any rate it’s better than doing nothing) which provides some relief, especially since Acceleration isn’t necessarily cheap.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #78159

Yeah I trained an athlete from Minnesota who had the exact same scenario. His basement was fairly long so we did short accelerations there, did a day or two of maxV stuff on the treadmill and then hit a track on the weekends (that was over an hour away). Far from ideal but sometimes you have to go with what you’ve got.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #78945

Just saw this completely self powered treadmill from Woodway. The sloped surface surely changes touchdown position but it looks like you can really crank on it and could even do acceleration work on it. Thoughts?

https://www.woodway.com/speedboard.html

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.