Sprint Start Mechanics

Posted In: The Classics

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #32758

Fiber composition on various muscle groups may be rate limiting….I think the hamstring group is preserved during long (read artificial) accelerations….flying 20s are very taxing for elites but repeat 60s from blocks don’t seem to drain guys.

What about long term training effects of more SE? Would that prepare the landing patterns (optimal muscle preparation) better then a more plyo / weight program?

As for drugs in the past I would say that they are better now…ben wasn’t doing EPO! Charlie gave his honest account for their drug protocols and he is a good man. Everyone mentions drugs with Ben like he is the only one! Therapy is work (driving and making appointments) since very few programs use them extensively. I don’t see it being done. Andy at HSI sucked but I do respect John Smiths efforts.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #32759

[i]Originally posted by Phoenix[/i]
    Fiber composition on various muscle groups may be rate limiting….I think the hamstring group is preserved during long (read artificial) accelerations.

I’ve actually had similar thoughts but I am still debating whether this advantage outweighs the disadvantage of being in a poor / artificially created position for acceleration.

ELITETRACK Founder

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #32760

and what did you find Mike…a sweet spot ?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #32761

[i]Originally posted by Phoenix[/i]
    and what did you find Mike…a sweet spot ?

I’m really not sure what the answer is here. It’d be nice to be able to experiment with someone else’s athletes though :spin:.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    CoachKW on #32762

Excellent thread men. Keep dropping the knowledge bombs and I’ll keep collecting the pearls of wisdom on my hard “drive”

Thanks fellas!!

Participant
    Todd Lane on #32763

I’m trying to digest all I’ve just read, so bare with me if this strays or goes completely off line…

While not mechanical, are Ben’s and Flo-Jo’s batteries just bigger than anyone else’s? A deeper ATP pool gained through incredible strength levels? Maybe this alludes to Phoenix CNS protective mechanism or KT’s speed endurance qualities.

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #32764

Can anyone please post video of textbook accel. technique (angles) I am playing around with dartfish and have nothing “perfect” to compare my footage to.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #32765

[i]Originally posted by todd[/i]While not mechanical, are Ben’s and Flo-Jo’s batteries just bigger than anyone else’s?

I don’t think so….maybe just better strength levels which allow them to push themselves upright quicker and move through acceleration faster.

A deeper ATP pool gained through incredible strength levels?

I don’t think it works like that (increased strength ~ increased ATP).

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #32766

[i]Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL[/i]
    Can anyone please post video of textbook accel. technique (angles) I am playing around with dartfish and have nothing “perfect” to compare my footage to.

I’m away from my office but will post something when I get back in early January. If I forget just remind me.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #32767

Great will do.

Participant
    frit17 on #32768

Mike and others opinion,

So going along with this thread, what would the goal be for a football player getting timed in the 40yd dash. Does he want to get off the line and get upright as fast as possible, or really try to accelerate as long as he can?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #32769

[i]Originally posted by frit17[/i]
    Mike and others opinion,

So going along with this thread, what would the goal be for a football player getting timed in the 40yd dash. Does he want to get off the line and get upright as fast as possible, or really try to accelerate as long as he can?

They should move through body angles progressively, having each step push their body in to a little more upright position. They should definitely not try to “stay down” or do the HSI drive phase.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    frit17 on #32770

So let it happen, rather than lean to one way or the other?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #32771

[i]Originally posted by frit17[/i]
    So let it happen, rather than lean to one way or the other?

Yes. In fact, I tend to think this is the way it should happen no matter what the race…..make sure force application is directed through the long axis of the body and let each step push the body to a more upright position.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    canada-guy on #32772

would this mimic what ur saying above mike, if u were running 60 meter races and u ran it the same as the 100?
    for example ur drive phase would be for 3/10 of the race supposedly in the 100, which would be 30 meters, so for 60 meters 3/10 would be 18 meters. so for the first 18 meters u accelerate and let each stride take u more upright, when at 19 meters ur upright.

could this approach be taken or would it be junk?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.