Speed in gpp

Posted In: The Classics

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21081

Pete-
    How about forward, side, and backward variations of the following: hops, bounds, runs, skips, lunges, or wheel barrows. You're only limited by your imagination.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    pete on #21082

Nice, good ideas, thanks. What are wheel barrows?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21083

Wheel barrows are running or hopping on your hands while someone holds your feet.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    400stud on #21084

[i]Originally posted by mike[/i]

I'm even more confused now than I was before ❓ You're explanations for acceleration development and max speed development are the same as mine but I'm not sure about your short speed development explanation. I like to break down speed development work as either acceleration development or MaxV development…..maybe that's where the confusion is? If you're view is different can you please just clear up the short speed development explanation again.

I told you that I'm weird and have a very unusual thought process relative to other people.

I look at short speed development as a tying together of both acceleration and maxV components.

Acc. Dev., to me, works on the "buildup" phase of a sprint, and in the case of the 400, the "momentum" phase. What I mean by momentum is the initial sprint in the curve that carries you out of the curve and onto the 1st straight without expending too much energy too soon. You accelerate hard to have that nice transition out of the curve to carry you down to the backstretch.

With MaxV, that's obvious. It works on maintaing and developing maximum velocity running after the acceleration phase. It's almost like the transition off the curve in the 400 where you are maintaining the momentum you developed from accelerating without jeopardizing too much energy. Note how MaxV runs are usually supposed to be smooth and relaxed and still fast. Also, maxV starts off with a buildup, almost like an acc. zone, that gets you to a particular point where you are at full speed and then you maintain that.

I look at short speed development as both of those workouts in one. You work on the acc. and maxV components simultaneously. You accelerate hard and gain "momentum" and then maintain that momentum for the rest of the sprint at MaxV.

Did I clear it up a bit for you?

I told you I'm weird and I may not be the best at explaining things all the time, but that's what makes me, me. I'm sorry to confuse you, but you just have to accept that I am abnormal in terms of thought process.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21085

[i]Originally posted by 400Stud[/i]
    I look at short speed development as a tying together of both acceleration and maxV components…… I look at short speed development as both of those workouts (Acc dev and MaxV dev) in one. You work on the acc. and maxV components simultaneously. You accelerate hard and gain "momentum" and then maintain that momentum for the rest of the sprint at MaxV.

Did I clear it up a bit for you?

Thanks. That makes perfect sense now. You definitely do have some weird thought processes 😛 but I like the last explanation you gave. :dance:

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    jjh999 on #21086

400Stud,

Stay in the game, young man. You have a lot to offer the sport!

Participant
    400stud on #21087

Thanks JJ.

Mike – My originality is why you love me 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.