Speed in gpp

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    jjh999 on #21066

I definetly periodize my speed work. I guess what I was trying to say is that "speed" has different components, but I think it is easy to get drawn into a corner rather than looking at how the sum of the components produce the desired effect: Increased speed.

How do I periodize my speed work? Nothing revolutionary. Acceleration development–> Max V–> Neuromuscular Speed Endurance (one of my strange workout protocols). For my 2/4 guys, I'll start doing some pseudo-Special End. 2 work earlier in the year, but it's not ridiculously fast just because of how far along we are in the macro and weather conditions here in the Northeast. It's more like race modeling-stuff…Like KT, however, I believe that some of the best Special Endurance sessions are competitions.

Participant
    400stud on #21067

So for 200/400 guys you start off with SE2, then acc. dev., then MaxV, and then neuromuscular speed endurance (explanation please)? I was going to go…Acc. Dev. –> Top End Speed (40-60m reps) –> MaxV (60-80m reps…ins and outs…flying sprints) –> Special Endurance. During the end of the Top end speed phase and beginning of MaxV phase speed endurance was going to be introduced. How does that look? Also, during the acc. dev. stage I was going to do split runs that are like special endurance sessions. Thoughts?

When you say race-modelling, are you referring to the pace or the distance?

I agree the best SE sessions are races. There is no doubt about that.

Thanks for the help JJ.

Participant
    jjh999 on #21068

[i]Originally posted by 400Stud[/i]
    So for 200/400 guys you start off with SE2, then acc. dev., then MaxV, and then neuromuscular speed endurance (explanation please)? I was going to go…Acc. Dev. –> Top End Speed (40-60m reps) –> MaxV (60-80m reps…ins and outs…flying sprints) –> Special Endurance. During the end of the Top end speed phase and beginning of MaxV phase speed endurance was going to be introduced. How does that look? Also, during the acc. dev. stage I was going to do split runs that are like special endurance sessions. Thoughts?

When you say race-modelling, are you referring to the pace or the distance?

I agree the best SE sessions are races. There is no doubt about that.

Thanks for the help JJ.

Sorry. I wasn't clear. I don't start the pseudo-SE2 type runs until later in the fall, probably during the 3rd meso.

When I refer to race modeling, we are working on how to execute the race. The pace is fast, but not ridiculous. "Crisp" as Dan Pfaff likes to say.

Participant
    400stud on #21069

Thanks for clearing that up. What about my schedule? Does it work?

Participant
    2belite on #21070

[i]Originally posted by JJ[/i]
    I can't speak to what other members mean by "fitness", but I think I know where they are going.

If an athlete does not focus on building the overall work capacity and general strength abilities in the early stages of development, there is the possibility that the athlete may not have the requisite overall biomotor development to complete the higher intensity and volume of training as they move into the higher levels of the sport.

As far as it being "easier" to develp speed as a younger athlete, I'm not quite sure I agree with you on that. I try not to (although I'm not always successful) think of speed in a vacuum or as components (acceleration, max v, etc.), but as a holistic quality that is influenced by many factors. A younger athlete will be lacking some abilities that will limit the ability to which the speed can be developed. I'm not saying, however, that speed work should not be performed. I'm very big on teaching young athletes how to accelerate properly, make the transition to maximum velocity mechanics, etc.

Whew. Should've had decaf after lunch.
    :wow:

Well said JJ, thank you.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21071

Ditto to 2belite.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    sprinter95 on #21072

sort the picture out! It's giving me a headache

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21073

Here's my summary (maybe not the same as others)…..if you're a sprinter, speed work should be present at every point of the training cycle in some form. I think early speed work should primarily come from acceleration development with a gradual change in focus to MaxV work. Underlying all speed work however should be a solid foundation of general fitness. The further one wishes to develop their speed, the greater the need for general fitness.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    400stud on #21074

What about short speed development and speed endurance qualities? How do those fit in your picture?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21075

I don't know what you mean by short speed development unless that's maxV work and as for speed endurance it doesn't fit into the picture at all (for GPP that is).

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    400stud on #21076

Short speed development, from my understanding, is reps in the 30-60m range that work on just pure speed, in both acc. and maxV form while maxV and acc. dev. work on their respective areas.

Re: Speed End. I thought you were talking about a general Macrocycle. I know Spe.End. does not go in GPP. To me, Acc. Dev. is even questionable in GPP, but that's my opinion.

Participant
    pete on #21077

Could somebody please give an example of a hill workout in the GPP for a 100m person that would help increase general fitness, including reps, incline, surface, rest periods, and whether that's the only thing the athlete would be doing that day? I'll understand its just an example and not a rule.

Participant
    400stud on #21078

Hill sprints on a fairly steep hill that's only about 30m long. You could do a bunch of reps of that.

I have the luxury of two different hills right outside my complex and one is good for sprints while the other I use for GS exercises.

You can also throw Running A's on that day as well.

Participant
    pete on #21079

Thanks for the reply.

I have access to a grass hill that's about 15 yards long on about a 15 degree incline and a 55 yard long asphalt hill with the same incline.

So, I guess I could do something like 10*15 or more reps on the grass, but this would be more of a speed work variation and not as much a general fitness builder and some GS work on the 100 yard hill. Alright, so cool, but what are some of the GS exercises that could be done on a hard hill. Lunges I guess, I might also try having someone hold my legs and walk up the hill, I could do running As on the grass right next to it. Pushups on the hill might also be good. Oh man, I'm getting excited, I think I'm going to try these today. Can you think of any others 400stud?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21080

[i]Originally posted by 400Stud[/i]
    Short speed development, from my understanding, is reps in the 30-60m range that work on just pure speed, in both acc. and maxV form while maxV and acc. dev. work on their respective areas.

I'm even more confused now than I was before ❓ You're explanations for acceleration development and max speed development are the same as mine but I'm not sure about your short speed development explanation. I like to break down speed development work as either acceleration development or MaxV development…..maybe that's where the confusion is? If you're view is different can you please just clear up the short speed development explanation again.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.