Speed in gpp

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    sprinter95 on #8482

Should speed work be done in the GPP phase?

Participant
    400stud on #21037

Technically yes, but not pure speed work.

In GPP you want to start off with acceleration development to help you build into pure speed work and MaxV work later on.

Acc. Dev. is reps of 10-40m with a moderate volume (usually 400m max and you usually don't get that high) and a rest of 2-3 min.

Start off with that and build your way into speed and maxV work.

Participant
    sprinter95 on #21038

Whats maxv work?

Participant
    400stud on #21039

MaxV work is reps of 60-80m that helps work on your overall maximum velocity.

You want to start off with acc. dev., 10-40m reps, build into pure speed, 40-60m reps, and by competition be incorporating maxV work into the program, 60-80m reps.

After 80m you are entering the speed endurance work, but MaxV can be achieved in reps over 80m if you are doing ins and outs.

Participant
    sprinter95 on #21040

400 stud what are ins and out

Participant
    jjh999 on #21041

[i]Originally posted by 400Stud[/i]
    MaxV work is reps of 60-80m that helps work on your overall maximum velocity.

You want to start off with acc. dev., 10-40m reps, build into pure speed, 40-60m reps, and by competition be incorporating maxV work into the program, 60-80m reps.

After 80m you are entering the speed endurance work, but MaxV can be achieved in reps over 80m if you are doing ins and outs.

Unless you are a very developed athlete, even 60m will have less of a max velocity component. Ins/Outs are nice, but developing athletes should keep the peaks to a minimum (i.e. 1) or just use multiple reps of flying 20s or 30s.
    :yawn:

Participant
    400stud on #21042

What do you mean by keep the peaks to a minimum? Are you recommending to stay in the 80m range for all speed/MaxV work?

Participant
    jjh999 on #21043

What do you mean by keep the peaks to a minimum? Are you recommending to stay in the 80m range for all speed/MaxV work?

No.

In an ins/outs protocol each "in" segment is referred to as a peak. 80m for a developing athlete is not maximal velocity work, it is speed endurance.

Participant
    400stud on #21044

[i]Originally posted by JJ[/i]
    [quote]
    No.

In an ins/outs protocol each "in" segment is referred to as a peak. 80m for a developing athlete is not maximal velocity work, it is speed endurance.

Okay, so you're saying that up to 60m is MaxV work for developing athletes, correct? After that you are working speed endurance, right?

Participant
    2belite on #21045

Most developing athletes hit max before 40m, so 60m would be speed endurance for them.

Participant
    400stud on #21046

Are you kidding me?

Than I must be a freak because I am stil accelerating up to about 40-50m and reach top speed at 60m. I had a few different people watch me run 60s in practice once and everyone agreed that because my starts suck, I accelerate for awhile and don't hit full speed until about 60m. That's where I really am moving.

I find it odd that maxV work for developing athletes is only 40m, but hey, what do I know?

Participant
    2belite on #21047

If you do some research you will see that most of the top sprinter record their fastesr split between the 50 and 60 meter segment of their races. Carl lewis and Ray Stewart are the only two sprinters that I can remember off the top of my head that hit top speed after 60m.
    With that being said, I don't think developing athletes are accelerating all the way to 60 meters. Maybe you are a freak.

Participant
    jjh999 on #21048

Are you kidding me?

Than I must be a freak because I am stil accelerating up to about 40-50m and reach top speed at 60m. I had a few different people watch me run 60s in practice once and everyone agreed that because my starts suck, I accelerate for awhile and don't hit full speed until about 60m. That's where I really am moving.

I find it odd that maxV work for developing athletes is only 40m, but hey, what do I know?

I'd be surprised if you are hitting your peak at 60m as a developing athlete unless your starts are just brutal (speaking from experience). The sensation of speed that you are feeling may be just the elastic rebound during the primarily vertical force production that occurs once your torso has been driven to an upright position (which is a good thing…)

Participant
    400stud on #21049

[i]Originally posted by JJ[/i]
    The sensation of speed that you are feeling may be just the elastic rebound during the primarily vertical force production that occurs once your torso has been driven to an upright position (which is a good thing…)

All the words just to say "Lift Phase", am I correct?

Second, what's the yawn for?

Third, you're probably right. I always feel faster when I come up out of the drive phase.

4th, I'm not a freak! 😯

Participant
    jjh999 on #21050

1st: All the words to say Lift Phase?

No. There is no lift phase (or drive phase for that matter). All those words are describing what is happening from a mechanical standpoint during the phase where maximum velocity and maintenance mechanics are utilized.

2nd: Why the yawn? I'm tired.

3rd: There is no drive phase. You're either accelerating, at maximum velocity or decelerating.

:yawn::yawn:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.