Sore Hamstring In Trail Leg

Posted In: Hurdles

Participant
        brandonceddy@gmail.com on #18591

My trail leg hamstring seems to always get tight from hurdling. I do not know is its the step into the hurdle or when I pull it through and step off the hurdle. If I were sitting in a chair and pulled my heal towards my butt thats what would trigger the tightning. It seems to cramp up? Does anyone have any advice?

Participant
        Shane Stadtmueller on #118309

Foam rolling and smashing on a ball (i.e. baseball, lacrosse ball, tennis ball…etc) mixed in with some stretching. Work both “up-stream” and “down-stream” of the most tender spot. Chances are that this tightening in your hamstring is due to tightness in a synergistic muscle group (IT-band, glutes, piriformis, etc) and this may lead to your hamstrings being overworked during the movement.

Rolling on a foam roller up and down your hamstrings and glutes. To “smash”, basically take the ball and put it under one area of the muscle then slowly roll side-to-side, up-and-down, or around in small circles – then move to another area of the muscle and repeat. Start at the area most tender then work toward both ends of the same muscle group as well as nearby muscle groups. So for your hamstrings work your upper calves, glutes, adductors, IT Band. Explore around and see if you can surprise yourself.

Don’t forget to stretch with both extended and flexed knees. Try to keep your back as flat as possible and prevent your pelvis from rotating backwards.

Participant
        brandonceddy@gmail.com on #118311

Thanks Shane. When would you recomend doing this before or after workouts? Can you send me a link for streching the hamstring with bent knees?

Participant
        Matt Norquist on #118312

Unusual to see sore hammy on trail leg.

I think best way to prevent soreness is to do the exercise more frequently, and also I like RDLs for flexibility.

Participant
        Shane Stadtmueller on #118319

Participant
        Eric Broadbent on #118354

also remember tight or sore hamstrings could be because quads/hip flexor are tight and foam rolling and working to stretch those muscles could prevent some anterior pelvic tilt if that is the case. Our massage lady always recommended working those first, then the hamstrings and it seemed to help a lot.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.