Soft Tissue Therapy

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #14885

Mike Nelson brings a good point about therapy and pain. Obviously he is a Z-health proponent and brings a wealth of knowledge to his blog every week. My problem with his response is he doesn’t give case examples with athletes. I have been exposed to some fantastic therapists and found that traditional massage and soft tissue release (similar to ART and was used earlier) to be a major advantage.

Continue reading…

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72833

So does this mean I should cancel my trip to next week’s, energy field wizard certification?

On a serious note, very true about the pressure. I know I can fix most of the things that get thrown at me but doing so in a way that doesn’t cause bruising or secondary tissue damage is much less common.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Mike T Nelson on #73032

Hi there Carl! Thanks for the kinds words as it means a lot coming from someone such as yourself.

In relation to experience with athletes that is an excellent point. To date, I have done a fair amount of Z Health sessions (I do have the exact number documented and not pulled out of thin air if you need further info).

Note that when I say Z Health this may apply to dynamic joint mobility work, visual testing/movements, vestibular work or even hands on work. I agree that most of these are not what would be considered high level athletes and more weekend warriors types. I was able do a session with a recent Olympic competitor and was able to get her out of pain for the first time in years (info here https://miketnelson.blogspot.com/2008/07/z-health-and-marathon-running.html ) and the same principles would apply to high level athletes.

I agree 100% that soft tissue work done correctly can have HUGE changes for people. No question.

You point about most businesses is a good one. I do run a business in the private sector. Clients/athletes come to a professional in the field for results. My guarantee is that if I can’t get your pain to less than a 2 on a 1-10 scale in ONE session, it is FREE. No results=no money for me=out of business.

Down with foam rollers! Preach on.

Yes, there is research on eccentric stimuli to help encourage remodeling, esp in the case of tendonOSIS as you know. I like to think upstream—what causes tension on the muscles/tendons? Control from the nervous system, so if we can alter that signal, over time the structures will adapt.

Carl said “..but the direct approach WITH motor changes and other elements is a full approach.”

Yes! I have had cases where I’ve needed to do hands on to get a result. In one specific case I did hands on work (hamstrings), with the athlete doing an opposite elbow circle (joint mobility), with her head turned to the right and eyes in the up position. Hamstrings worked much better afterward and total time of the drill was about 1 minute (getting to that point was about 40 minutes in that case though). She had to follow up and do a similar drill (without hands on work) 3xs a day for about 3-4 weeks for it to “stick”–there is never a free lunch

In general, I do the minimal approach to get the maximal results. Precise joint mobility work seems to get me there about 70% of the time ( I mean 72.8958859% of the time, hehee). The more times I work with athletes and as their movement progresses, the more other work they will need–hands on, and visual, vestibular; but with all things “it depends” as I may skip to hands on work first.

Rock on!
    Mike N

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.