Shoes for weightlifting

Participant
    GiveYourBest on #17819

What kind of shoes do you use for weights? Do you own weightlifting shoes or just train in whatever it comes?
    I usually wear my old running shoes but I’m thinking about buying some cheap weightlifting shoes (Do-Wins). Is it worth?

Also, today I tried to lift barefoot. It’s not that bad. What do you think about it?

Participant
    star61 on #117292

What kind of shoes do you use for weights? Do you own weightlifting shoes or just train in whatever it comes?
    I usually wear my old running shoes but I’m thinking about buying some cheap weightlifting shoes (Do-Wins). Is it worth?

Also, today I tried to lift barefoot. It’s not that bad. What do you think about it?

Upper body, doesn’t matter. Lower body, chuck Taylor’s. If including jumps. Cross trainers or good basketball shoes.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #117293

I use weightlifting shoes and would never go back to trainers for olympic lifts. I wouldn’t spend $200 on them though. Cheaper OL shoes are very worth it in my opinion.

Participant
    GiveYourBest on #117294

Upper body, doesn’t matter. Lower body, chuck Taylor’s. If including jumps. Cross trainers or good basketball shoes.

I’m talking about lower body of course; squats, deadlifts, oly lifts, etc.
    Chuck Taylor’s looks fine for squats & deadlifts, but I wouldn’t use them for oly lifts.

@Nick; do you like them because of raised heel or is there also any other advantage?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #117295

overall stability while lifting. I raised my heels even higher but yes that helps too.

Participant
    GiveYourBest on #117296

Tnx.
    However there’s no Oly platform in my gym. The floor is coated with a soft rubber flooring (similar to running track rubber). Is that fine for lifting shoes?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #117298

Of course

Participant
    cdnsprinter on #117303

high quality basketball shoes for everything I do in the gym.
    overall stability and support,cushioning,lightness,durability,agility,grip,versatility.
    Only one pair of shoes to bring along with you at the gym and ideal for complex training IMO.

Participant
    Matt Morsia on #117304

ive been considering getting some lifting shoes but didn’t know whether it was a good idea as i tend to do a lot of plyos inbetween lifts & didn’t know if they’re suitable for that? also, i’ve been squatting and deadlifting with socks recently and i like it! feel like im in a more natural position

Participant
    Anthony Wallace on #117305

I agree with Nick. Got my 1st pair this past year. that is the only thing im lifting in from now on.

Participant
    Matt Morsia on #117308

what about jumping in them though?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #117309

All vertical stuff is fine. Any other type of complex like bounding etc I just switch back to sneakers for that part.

Participant
    TrackNation on #117365

These have worked for me in the past. These are priced at…but there may be more cost effective ones out there.

https://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-weightlifting-power-lift-trainer-shoes/SN823?cid=G45632&breadcrumb=1z13071&search=weight&cm_vc=SEARCH

I have also used Air Force 1s in the past…. 🙂 I know sounds silly but it was a better option then the running shoes.

I have also deadlifted bare foot and that has also worked out good.

Participant
    GiveYourBest on #117370

Is there any disadvantage of doing squats and deadlifts barefoot? I have been doing it so last week and it feels fine.
    I’m still doing Oly lifts in running shoes though.

Participant
    TrackNation on #117371

No disadvantages that I am aware of….

I personally hated doing OLs and Squats in running shoes. I always felt better when I had a flat & solid base to push through for Squats and I liked the power lifting shoes for OLs because I felt like I was in more of a “power position” with a solid base to work from.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.