Seeking Suggestions for DVD topics

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #12431

I've recently signed a contract with Coaches Choice to do a series of DVDs. They have already filmed 2 DVDs of mine that are on the shot put but they are letting me do this series of DVDs on whatever I would like. I'm going to shoot the first batch of 4 DVDs in 3 weeks and would like some suggestions on topics that you'd consider buying a DVD about. I know for sure that of this first b

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #68022

Looking for ideas….
    Thanks.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    flow on #59922

hell yeah!  block starts,  acceleration and maxV mechanics,  haha!
    so will these dvd´s be more of a guideline for proper training or also giving scientific insight on the topics?  in any way,  awesome that you´ll be doing them!

Participant
    mortac8 on #59923

One on rudimentary work may be interesting.  It would include stuff that is not directly event-specific.  For example, in sprinting everyone knows you need to sprint and lift heavy weights.  Not much info on "everything else" and how much of it to use.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #59924

hell yeah!  block starts,  acceleration and maxV mechanics,  haha!
    so will these dvd´s be more of a guideline for proper training or also giving scientific insight on the topics?  in any way,  awesome that you´ll be doing them!

The mechanics one I had planned on doing was on maximal velocity sprint mechanics. A block start / acceleration DVD would be a good fit. The DVDs can really be whatever I want….training, sports science lecture format, etc.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #59925

I like the 2 ideas above as well.
    A sports science lecture format perhaps with diagrams and charts showing how you setup various phases of the year with examples explaining "why" would be cool too. This would also be a way you can speak in depth about pairing together things each day that have the same theme.
    Let me know if you need "actors". :spin:

Participant
    flow on #59926

nice 🙂  i think its important not only to show how,  but to teach why.  i talked with a lot of athletes who never heard of the transition of horizontal to vertical force application while reaching top speed.
      even my coach:  he´s a good guy who is coaching since 47 years but its all experience.  he knows what to do but not why he is doing it.  deeper insight into the science behind the sport would help transform him from a good to a great coach : )
    what i´m trying to get at:  maybe its cool to pair training with a small portion of basic sports science (things like the COM diagram in the high hips thread etc)

richard-703 on #59927

blocks, acc and max V would be great.
    I want to see the type of stuff that Quik has been posting lately (not just an example of a workout type, but how it might progress over 6-8 weeks).

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #59928

blocks, acc and max V would be great.
    I want to see the type of stuff that Quik has been posting lately (not just an example of a workout type, but how it might progress over 6-8 weeks).

Are you referring to squat progressions or speed endurance progressions?

ELITETRACK Founder

richard-703 on #59929

In the FAQ section you say stuff like "10x20m might be a good acc dev workout" or "2x300m might be an example of an SE workout".
    Quik recently posted some 8 week examples of how sets, reps, and rests might progress through the weeks (split run thread and one or two others).
    I find that useful because I like to plan 12-16 weeks at a time.
    It is useful to not only know that one should follow acc dev, then Max V, then SE etc, but how to progress, and transition.

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #59930

Yes. The Split Run Thread which contained a bit of intensive tempo info. on progression as well as the Short Speed Endurance Thread. Mike was out of town for the majority of those 2 threads.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #59931

still waiting for the dvd's, should come out with some online dvd's or manuals.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #59932

I'm still waiting too. The videos were shot last year around Christmas time but they still have yet to be released. I checked on them last month and I was told there were some problems with the editing but they should be out by the end of the month.

I'm in the works of putting together some online webcast stuff but this will be about 4-6 months away (I have to completely redesign either this site or HPCsport.com to do it right).

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    icoach on #59933

DVD's one suggestion is a quick and easy guide to event mechanics T&F showing different camera angles then you and other trusted coaches  comment on, by teaching some of what you know can assist parents, athletes and Coaches  from coach DuPre we meet @ High Performance Meet Provo UT.  This can help dispel many myths about younger athlete preparation modal "readiness"

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.