Sandbagging Power

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #17094

The sandbag is an interesting piece of equipment. I personally like inner tube home made types for those needing added resistance during general leg training because they are conforming to the trap area, and that helps those that are young and built with very little upper back muscular for a barbell. They are nice for weighted drills, such as Cuban Walks and other exercises that purposely don’t u

Continue reading…

Participant
    Eager on #102865

What is a “Cuban Walk”? A search comes up clouded with dance moves.

I assume that Mach supplemented unloaded drills with loaded drills, but in what way did he apply them?

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #102892

Eager,

The Mach information is cloudy since he is very old now and has some challenges. He did them as part of the GPP but mostly for enhancing the load on the drills.

The drills for me (Cuban Walks or Mach Drills) serve as diagnostic tools and to isolate the joint mobility and joint isometric strength. The Pfaff Series of duckwalks or other “locomotives” strain the various stabilizer groups and help with joint function without addressing it specifically.

Cuban Walks can be defined as hands behind your head, akimbo, or sailor position. Removing the arms breaks the connection and often overloads the core muscles as the pelvis is forced to drive the leg motions more. How much this works is unknown to me but I like it as lazy arm athletes learn to move their arms quickly in hurdles and less skilled athletes learn to but more body english into drills, provided they don’t compensate.

Participant
    ex400 on #102899

Carl, could you elaborate on how this hands-behind-the-head routine helps hurdler arm action?

Participant
    star61 on #102908

Carl,

I got a little lost and ask for clarification. I’m not sure whether you like additional resistance in the inner tube as a general means of improving power, or you don’t like it. I don’t use tubes, but I just purchased a weighted vest for my son with the intentions of developing some tranferable power, and I would think a weighted vest and a tube would behave similarly.

Could you clarify your position and if you do like tubes (or vests) for developing transferable power, what kind of loads are you talking about.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #102936

Star61,

I can only share my experience with Vests and Tubes for loading GPP exercises. I have experimented with vests for motions such as running and jumping and good ones are not cheap so I can’t do them with teams. I don’t do power exercises with inner tubes with sand. If I was to do weighed exercises for power I would use vests. I like the Sandbags as they are comfortable and are cheap and will last if made right.

My problem with innertubes and power is that I like to use arms and running is obviously not an option.

Participant
    Lee Ness on #102946

Carl, if I understand your article correctly, one of the questions you’ve asked is why cleans are not explosive but sandbags are. If I can use squats as an example as it is easier for me to explain with.
    With a squat, the lift phase has to follow an acceleration and then deceleration curve. At the end of the lift, the body has to be brought to rest. If it continued to accelerate throughout the lift, it would end with a jump. Doing that with a barbell would be very painful at any weight, never mind maximal lifts. So although the first phase of the lift can be explosive, the deceleration phase still has to follow.
    However, with a power bag or sandbag or a weight vest, the explosive movement can continue through the lift and end with a jump without injury. Obviously the weight is lower but the exercise tends to be better and doesn’t need to be coupled with plymoetrics to maintain muscle speed.

Participant
    star61 on #102956

Star61,

I can only share my experience with Vests and Tubes for loading GPP exercises. I have experimented with vests for motions such as running and jumping and good ones are not cheap so I can’t do them with teams. I don’t do power exercises with inner tubes with sand. If I was to do weighed exercises for power I would use vests. I like the Sandbags as they are comfortable and are cheap and will last if made right.

My problem with innertubes and power is that I like to use arms and running is obviously not an option.

Thanks. As a general rule, could you share your thoughts on using a good weighted vest for sprint training, such as speed bouunds or flying 20’s with a lightly loaded vest?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.