Running with Geb

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #13474

I rarely do continuous runs over 20 minutes anymore but sometimes I'll throw one in on Sunday evenings. Tonight was such a night. Whenever I'm out on one of these runs, I always wonder what it would be like to run with someone like Morcelli, Bekele, Hachim, or better yet, Geb. Would they even be winded at my modest pace (~6:00-6:40 / mile). Heck, Geb can run 26.2 consecutive miles slightly

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #67930

haha, thats funny, i think the same thing sometimes…i watch it live on TV when Geb broke a world record in distance when he just ran for like an hour straight on a track and some crazy pace…i dont even have the metal endurance to run 2 miles when im out of season…Once a couple of years ago Bernard Lagat was getting ready for Milrose and he came to my school to train. He went on a warm up run with our distance team and they all said his warm up pace was so fast they felt they were getting a workout just doing that…I cant imagine running like that…Even Paula Radcliffe ran 5 min miles one afer the other when she broke the world record…I couldnt do one of those…

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #67521

Yeah, your average casual observer has NO CONCEPT of how fast these guys are running. I'd bet that about 70% of the U.S. population couldn't run 200m as fast as Geb can run 26.2 miles.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    aussie800m on #67522

Yeah, your average casual observer has NO CONCEPT of how fast these guys are running. I'd bet that about 70% of the U.S. population couldn't run 200m as fast as Geb can run 26.2 miles.

Hahaha yeh so true!

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #67523

For those not math-inclined, his world record is almost exactly 211 straight (210.97 to be exact) 200m intervals @ 35.4 seconds. MIND-BOGG-A-LING!

ELITETRACK Founder

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #67524

haha…OMG !!! thats ridiculus…

Participant
    sbones on #67525

For those not math-inclined, his world record is almost exactly 211 straight (210.97 to be exact) 200m intervals @ 35.4 seconds. MIND-BOGG-A-LING!

A couple of the very talented HS runners I work with just did 5×1000 in 2:52 with equal recoveries.  That's just a second per 200 faster than Meb.  I don't think I'll tell them about this.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #67526

Yeah no kidding. When it's broken down like that it makes me think that the 70% I quote above is probably WAAAY too high. I'd bet that 85-90% of the general public in the U.S. couldn't run a single 200m as fast as Geb runs the entire marathon.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.