Roswell’s 110mH Olympic Trials Training Log

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    Roswell on #120258

Weekend

Normally we have some kind of prehab or technical day (this weekend was a technical beach workout) or something like that on Sunday, but it got switched to Saturday, which I couldn’t make on this particular weekend, so I just did a 30 min jog on both days and some abs.

8/12

3x500m grass
    6:00 rest

*focus on drive phase mechanics and last 120m; middle ~340m was just extensive tempo

I felt really good today and was pretty thankful for the decreased volume. The 500s certainly weren’t easy, but the last one was appropriately hard, I think. Focused on max speed mechanics in the last 120 without necessarily increasing speed.

Ab circuit

Lifting
    3×10 explosive deadlifts: 275 lbs
    3×10 hang cleans: 185, 135, 135 lbs
    3×10 quarter squats: 185 lbs

* focus of lifting is still light and explosive, but slighly heavier than last week.

Participant
    Christopher Glaeser on #120259

Pretty grueling today. I appreciated not having to turn, but 200m is a long way up a hill. Predictably, my form/energy/everything suffered on the latter half of every rep except the first one …

Any chance you can borrow someone’s timing sticks in your area and experience the difference of timing the last 30 meters of 200 meter repeats? Over the past several years I’ve discussed electronic timing with hundreds of coaches and athletes and the number one benefit mentioned by the majority of these coaches for all age groups is the increased arousal in the athlete. Coach Brooks Johnson (who had an exceptionally good day today) often mentions the culture of the ballistic athlete and compelling need for and the affect of immediate feedback. I posted a short video Tips on Timing Tempo Runs[/url] but the video does not do the subject justice until you experience the difference yourself.

Best,
    Christopher

Participant
    Roswell on #120261

[quote author="Roswell" date="1376111495"]Pretty grueling today. I appreciated not having to turn, but 200m is a long way up a hill. Predictably, my form/energy/everything suffered on the latter half of every rep except the first one …

Any chance you can borrow someone’s timing sticks in your area and experience the difference of timing the last 30 meters of 200 meter repeats? Over the past several years I’ve discussed electronic timing with hundreds of coaches and athletes and the number one benefit mentioned by the majority of these coaches for all age groups is the increased arousal in the athlete. Coach Brooks Johnson (who had an exceptionally good day today) often mentions the culture of the ballistic athlete and compelling need for and the affect of immediate feedback. I posted a short video Tips on Timing Tempo Runs[/url] but the video does not do the subject justice until you experience the difference yourself.

Best,
    Christopher[/quote]

As I understand it from my coach, the tempo runs will be timed at some point in the future, but not just yet, and I’m not sure how exactly (a certain portion as you suggest or the whole thing) he plans on doing it. I’ve seen him use timing gates in the past when working with other athletes, but I’m not sure to whom they belong.

That particular workout that you’re quoting was just basically a sprint to the point where my legs basically lost all muscular function so I’m not sure that I could’ve gone any faster whether I was timed or not.

Participant
    Roswell on #120264

8/13

30 mins elliptical
    100 sit ups
    100 push ups
    100 crunches
    Ab circuit

Did elliptical today just to reduce impact. Left IT band/hip flexor area consistently sore from turns, being sure to foam roll and use a lacrosse ball on the area. Some 300s tomorrow, excited to do something that will actually be before the lactic acid wall, but I will try not to kill myself, because I know Friday will be tough.

Participant
    Roswell on #120267

8/14

6×300
    Walk 300 recovery
    Ab circuit

I’m not sure if I’m adapting to the training, or just getting more used to feeling horrible, but it feels like everything’s coming together pretty quickly. I accidentally took the 5th rep out really hard because I thought it was the last one, so my actual last rep suffered from that, but it was pretty good overall. Focus was on drive phase and finishing (last 50m) again.

Talked to Tonie a bit about future plans – hurdling starts in October, gonna be starting some hurdle-specific stuff either next week or the following, but I’m not altogether sure what that entails. For indoors, thinking of doing 2-3 outdoor meets at indoor distances, and then maybe go to Fresno and/or NAU and Washington for actual indoor meets.

Lifting
    3×10 Power Cleans: 135 lbs
    3×10 Hang Clean and Jerk: 135 lbs
    3×10 Snatch: 135 lbs

Took lifting a little bit lighter today to be more explosive and so that I don’t overdo it. I’ve been meaning to start up HRV monitoring again, but I haven’t quite gotten around to it yet.

Participant
    Roswell on #120276

color=green]8/15[/color]

Standard down day.

30 min elliptical
    100 sit ups
    100 push ups
    100 crunches
    Ab circuit

8/16

As many 50s as possible in 15:00
    *sprint 50m, fast walk 50m (grass), turn around, sprint 50m, etc. All done straight, no turns. I was focusing on elongating my first step in preparation for 7 step training, but it was a bit hard since the grass was kinda wet and I was in flats.
    Ab circuit

Lifting:
    Sprinting arms holding dumbbells for 60s: feet together, then each foot forward
    Lifting circuit (45s on, 15s between exercises): hamstring curl, quad extension, tricep extension, one hand cable resistance running arms, curnches, back extensions, lat pulldowns, seated rows, suspended leg cycles, calf raises.
    1×12 decline and incline bench: 115 lbs for each

I in particular need to be careful about upper body lifting, because my upper body puts on weight very readily, although I realize we’re not actually doing that much overall. I also personally think many of those exercises in the lifting circuit are pointless, but I still need to lose a bit of weight, so there’s benefit in that regard.

Participant
    Roswell on #120405

8/17

Recovery Day

30 mins elliptical
    100 sit ups
    100 push ups
    100 crunches
    Ab circuit

8/18

Kind of a weird drills/mobility type day. Not very strenuous

5×100 jump rope running
    5×10 hurdle walkovers

30m:
    bunny hops for distance, height
    skips for distance, height
    bounding for distance, height
    single leg bounds
    bear crawl/crab walk

60 seconds high knees in place

8/19

400m breakdown (50m intervals)
    Ab circuit

Good lord this was difficult. Time goals of 60s for 400m, -7 seconds for each subsequent rep. Felt like my legs were going to implode during the 300/250/200 reps, but I was usually +1 second off the time goal. 150 and down was easy though, since it’s anaerobic (mostly). Since I was pretty much collapsing after those reps, Tonie told me to take tomorrow completely off.

Lifting:
    3×12 split jump squats: 105 lbs
    3×12 explosive deadlifts: 135 lbs
    3×12 jerks: 105 lbs

Went real light on the lifting because of splitting headache, and for my sanity.

Participant
    Roswell on #120416

8/20

Rest day, predictably very sore

8/21

2x(6x120m) 50m walk between reps, 7:30 between sets

Emphasis on first 60m, drive phase mechanics, high COM after drive phase, maintenance 60m-120m

Ab circuit
    3×60 seconds jump rope

Lifting:
    5×4 power cleans: 4×225 lbs, 1×245 lbs
    5×4 power clean and jerks: 185 lbs
    5×4 snatches: 135 lbs

A bit heavier lifting day today.

This is the first day that I thought practice was pretty easy. I’ve noticed that there has certainly been a bit of a mental shift for me having done all these practices basically to leg failure, which is mostly manifest in the way I think about the full 110 race. Even though I’m not into any hurdle stuff yet, nor any specific preparation at all, I feel far more confident at this point than I have in the past 2 years. I’m very excited to get onto the track and over some hurdles, even though I know that the process of breaking me down will begin anew when hurdle endurance comes into play.

Participant
    Roswell on #120431

8/22

45 min jog
    Ab circuit
    100 sit ups
    100 push ups
    100 crunches

Was sorer than I should’ve been, but just because it was my first power day in a while. Better to get the initial soreness out of the way now than later. Learned that some testing will be done in a couple weeks – but lifting and flying 30s and things like that, I can’t remember exactly what, but we’ll see when the time comes.

8/23

sprint 50/walk 50 for 15:00
    I completed 27 50’s, but I think that I mis-measured the distance or something, because that’s 6 more reps than I did last time, and it was way easier, so I dunno.

Ab circuit

No lifting today because I didn’t have access to a weightroom – coach is out of town so I practiced on my own.

Participant
    Roswell on #120466

8/24

45 min jog
    Ab circuit
    100 sit ups
    100 push ups
    100 crunches

8/25

rest day

8/26

rest day

8/27

45 min jog
    Ab circuit
    100 sit ups
    100 push ups
    100 crunches

8/28

3x(300m, 60 sec rest, 150m, 60 sec rest, 150m)
    10 mins between sets

Time goals: 41 sec 300, 19 sec 150s

3 low grade hills, focusing on form

Lifting
    4×6 incline bench: 135 lbs
    4×6 decline bench: 135 lbs
    4×6 squats (feet inward, neutral, and outward): 225 lbs
    4×9 quad extension (feet inward, neutral, and outward): 120 lbs
    4×9 hamstring curl (feet inward, neutral, and outward): 100 lbs

Pretty much obliterated my legs. I was around my time goals for the first set, then for the second I went a little fast on the 300 and the last 150 was like 40 seconds, and the last set everything was crazy slow. Calves/soleus cramped up on around 4 different occasions (though luckily not while actually running).

Participant
    Roswell on #120477

8/29

45 min trail jog
    100 sit ups
    100 push ups
    100 crunches

focus on keeping COM high on uneven terrain

8/30

Big circuit today:
    1 mile bike
    1600m jog
    100 jump rope
    40 leg swings over a hurdle (whatever they’re called along the side of a line of 10 hurdles)
    400m jog
    12 tire flips
    1200m jog
    2x50m 65 lbs barbell pushes along the ground (like a prowler)
    400m jog
    25×105 lbs hang snatches
    800m jog
    100 crunches
    2x50m lunges w/ 40 lbs DBs
    100 bodyweight squats
    2x50m sprints
    2x100m sprints

Despite being pretty tired from working 12 hour shifts the past couple of days and my gastrox/soleus still being sore from cramping on wednesday, this was actually pretty easy. The jogs were quite slow (~10min mile pace)

Participant
    Roswell on #120485

8/31

30 mins bike ride

9/1

Beach workout

2x30m high knees resistance runs

sprint ladder-
    1 step sprint
    2 step sprint
    3 step sprint
    etc. ascending to 30 steps and descending down to 1

3×60 seconds high knee in mid-thigh water

Ladder was kinda difficult in the soft sand, but not too tough. Little worried about doing this before a hard day Monday though.

Participant
    Roswell on #120499

I’ve been kinda out of it since I bruised my foot right upnder my second metatarsal, which obviously is where the bulk of the pressure is when I run, so Monday-Thursday I didn’t really do anything. I’m not really sure how it was caused, but it’s improving quickly, about at 80% right now. Should be back into it by Monday next week or so.

9/6

Pool Workout
    *I dunno how long the pool is, maybe 25m or so.

6x25m running in the water w/ aquajogger
    not so hard, but I was really out of breath at the end due to no rest

Drills against the wall:
    lead leg pulldown
    trail leg pullthrough
    leg swings

If I’m up to it, gonna start hurdle stuff next week

Participant
    Roswell on #120509

9/7

rest

9/8

30 min bike ride

9/9

foot felt pretty good today, so I just decided to go for it

300m breakdown by 50m, 3:00 recovery
    This was actually pretty easy because I was rested for once
    At 150m on down I was supposed to be going over a phantom hurdle every 7 steps, which I did for 150m, but it kinda hurt my foot so I just ran the 100m and 50m normally.

3x100m easy hills
    pretty slow, focus on technique

Lifting
    3×5 Deadlift: 315 lbs
    3×5 Hang Cleans: 135 lbs
    3×5 Half Squats: 225 lbs

Testing week next week

Participant
    Roswell on #120520

9/10

Recovery day

4×800, 2×80 sprints in between
    100 sit ups
    100 push ups
    100 crunches

That was the workout, but I only did it 2x because I wanted to take it easy on my foot.

Hurdle Drills
    These are kinda hard to describe so I might make a video
    3×15 Lead leg at fixed angle held at around 6″ below the top (42″) of the hurdle, going back and forth over the top
    3×15 Trail leg over and backwards (39″)
    3×20 bouncing bringing lead leg up to hurdle crossbar and down

9/11

5×200 5 hurdles ~30 seconds
    not sure what the spacing was, but only 33″
    5×200 flat ~27 seconds
    Ab circuit

Lifting

3×5 snatch squats: 115 lbs
    3×5 bench: 185 lbs
    3×5 hang clean and jerk: 115 lbs
    3×5 quick jerks: 115 lbs

feeling pretty good, foot feels a lot better, but decided to do the second set of 200s on flat just to not aggravate it.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.