Roswell’s 110mH Olympic Trials Training Log

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    Roswell on #18256

Hey everybody, my name’s Ross and I’m a 110 hurdler currently training out of Southern California for a spot in the Olympic trials.
    Here are some general stats of mine:
    Height: 6’4″
    Weight: currently 196 lbs
    110mH: 14.06 (3/23/12)
    100m: 10.82 (4/16/11)
    Parallel Box Squat: 435 lbs
    Deadlift: 500 lbs
    Hang Clean: 265 lbs
    SLJ: 3.25
    STJ: 8.94
    Overhead Backwards: 16.53
    Underhand Forwards: 15.75

I’m 23, and this is my first year competing after graduating from the University of Redlands. In my senior year in college, I was able to become the DIII NCAA runner-up in the 110mH, and come in fourth in the 4x100m with my team. In high school, I only ran 15.41 in the 39″ hurdles, and in my first year of college I ran 15.71 over 42″, so I’ve come a fairly long way from that point. I was very nervous about this season, as I’ve done all my lifting and running programming myself, but it has actually gone very well so far, as my 110H PR last year was 14.32, and I’ve only had 2 meets so far this season. I train out of my University, which has a Mondo track, and I have a part time job coaching there, so it leaves me ample time to train and an ideal environment to do so.

I don’t have a coach, so what I do continually is film and time my practices and coach myself from that. The head coach (and also my boss) gives me general training advice when I ask it of him, and is helpful in giving me guidelines as to what I should be doing. What this means is that I’ll basically have a video of every hurdle practice when I put it up, and electronic times to go along with them. All the more to get feedback with! I’ll get a bit more in depth as to what I do to facilitate my training as it comes about, as well as of course answer any questions about it. This season I want to get my 110H time down to about 13.7, as this is my non-educated guess as to what will make it to Trials this year. I’m really looking forward to the coming competitions and sharing my experiences with everyone here!

Participant
    Roswell on #115620

Normally because my schedule generally does not allow training on Saturday (because of the team’s track meets) or Monday (because of work in the morning), I would do a hard hurdling practice today, but because the weather was poor and I’m a wimp I settled for Max Effort (ME) lower body lifting instead.

In general I follow a scheme of 3 days of lifting a week, on sprinting days, comprised of 1 day of ME lower body, 1 day of olympic and functional lifting, and 1 day of dynamic upper and lower body(recovery lifting).

Usually I have a recovery tempo day on tuesday, so I tend to have my hardest workouts on Sunday to allow for lots of recovery time, which is why I did ME lower body today. Here’s how my lift went:

Deadlift max 3’s up to 455
    Step Ups with 80 lbs onto a 18″ box 3×8 each leg
    One-legged hamstring ball curls 3×8

Participant
    t.hartis@yahoo.co.uk on #115683

Congrats on the PR. Looking forward to the log.
    How do your 100m time and lifting numbers compare to when you were running mid 15s? Has your 110 time come down from gains in speed/strength, improvement in technique or a bit of both?
    And not suggesting you switch, but at 6’4, have you ever tried 7 strides to h1?

Participant
    Roswell on #115693

Tony – Thanks, I’m very surprised to have PR’ed by that much already.

As for my past lifting regime/100m time – my sophomore year in college I mostly ran in the low 15s, even though my seasonal PR was 14.89. That year, I only ran the 100m one time that year, since I did a lot of random things that year which did not include the 100m. I ran it in 11.39. That year my deadlift and squats maxes were both 335. In my opinion, my improvement in the 110s is pretty much solely due to increases in speed and strength, and only slightly due to better technique. In my opinion, my technique is pretty horrendous, so that’s mostly what I’m trying to work on this season.

I’ve tried 7 stepping one time just to see, and while its relatively given the steps that I’m able to take, my block start with the opposite leg forward would take a long time to reach the level that the other leg is currently at. If I were to change that eventually, it would be an offseason thing to do. Additionally, since there is no real consensus that I’ve seen on the viability of the 7 step approach vs the 8 step approach, at this point I’m not sure it is worth changing it at all.

Participant
    Roswell on #115695

Today I ran a speed hurdles day up to over 5 hurdles. I run with my hurdles at 39″ for most speed stuff that I do, since 42″ is too strenuous, and I wasn’t overly concerned with my technique today (which happened to be very bad). I ran the hurdles at 8.94m apart, as I gradually elongate the spacings I use between the hurdles for speed workouts throughout the season to encourage shuffling and to account for the extra adrenaline pumping during a race time situation. I began with the spacings at 8.84m, and am moving up in 5cm increments. I used a speed trap and video’ed the practice, as usual. my times over 60m were:

I realize that these times are incomparable to those of an FAT race, since the speed trap that I use has a thumb pad, so it doesn’t account for reaction time, and the hurdles are lower and closer together, so mostly I just use the times to compare to my past results, of which I have a lot. My “PR” with the speed trap over 60m is 7.72, which I was pretty close to multiple times, so I felt good about that. When I look at the video afterwards, I realize that there was a whole lot going wrong with my mechanics over the hurdle, and mostly on this mesocycle between now and the Mt. Sac Relays on April 20th (my next meet), I’m trying to fix my arm action, as it’s all over the place, and my position off the hurdle is pretty bad as well.

Later in the day I had my olympic lifting session, where I did:
    5×2 rack snatches up to 165 lbs
    5×2 rack cleans up to 225 lbs
    3×2 push press at 135 lbs
    one legged twisting abs on the GHR machine with 25 lbs

Here’s a sample of blocks to 1 hurdle and the full 60m, plus an old shirtless guy who was walking around the track.

Participant
    Roswell on #115704

Today, as with most days in-between my hard days, I did some recovery tempo. I rotate around 20x100m and 10x200m, at a maximum of 75% pace, with 1 or 2 minutes rest, respectively. I either do pushups and situps during in-between the runs, or I do two relatively light abs circuits afterwards. These are just kinda for general fitness.I also warm up with med ball throws (and running slowly after it) and hurdle mobility drills while holding a med ball.

I prolly won’t log these days in the future, as there’s not really very much to say about them; light, easy recovery day.

Participant
    Roswell on #115801

Today (Thursday since I guess this is past midnight) I tried to do some technique training rather than the typically flat sprinting that I do on my second training day of the week. I did some one step drills and 3×9 hurdles whilst 5 stepping, making it a little bit of a hurdle endurance workout. I wasn’t able to go very fast though since the hurdles were at 11.50m apart, and I had to shuffle a lot. This was ok as I was not overtly concerned with going fast between the hurdles, but rather going fast over the hurdles, hopefully due to good technique. I can definitely say that it looked a lot better than tuesday’s session in terms of form. I was unable to lift as I normally would, because I had work at the hostpial from 5pm-1am, and the gym was closed. It’s ok though, as it was just going to be a light recovery lifting session anyway. Perhaps I’ll do it tomorrow.
    Here are some videos of the session:

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #115808

Not that I have any experience hurdling, but I like your journal so far man. Welcome to the boards!

Participant
    Matt Gardner on #115811

Have you worked on your lead arm some? Getting it to stab down more over the hurdle and then sweep away. Arm can have some bend, but your lead arm looks like it never even opens up far past 90 (not an effective counter to the rotational torque of the trail leg and also stabbing down helps the opposite side of the pelvis from the lead leg reach to control rotational torques imparted by the lead leg). Watching your faster hurdles the most glaring running/hurdling issue is controlling rotation off the hurdle. Shows up here as well as you can’t be super aggressive finishing and running off the trail as it would rotate you a ton. Your doing a lot of good things, but that is technical area I’d work first.

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #115819

I’d say your lead leg shin is casting a little too much and a little too quickly.

Participant
    t.hartis@yahoo.co.uk on #115821

I like your approach of picking one thing to fix, working on it on technique days but still going flat out on hurdle speed days. As your attention is on the arms at the minute, have you considered dropping the medicine ball when doing the mobility drills and focussing on your arm action?

The one steps look like more like a quick step drill. https://stacktv.stack.com/Track-FieldCross-Country/David-Oliver-Workout/David-Oliver-Quick-Step-Drill.html. Great for keeping things fast and compact but not so good if you are trying to fix those rotations.
    Do you ever space them out more (3-3.5m) and execute with a full trail leg action? eg 55s in

You can still focus on the arms if you play over 33 or 36″ and you are forced to pull your trail leg through into a better position to attack the next hurdle.

Or even just work the trail leg (but lose the cap and wear a shirt)

If you spent a bit of time mastering this you’d be flying

Participant
    Matt Gardner on #115824

Also 5 step work I like to see a little more of a charge at the hurdle as proper projection angles at takeoff set up the trail (it’s a takeoff leg before it’s a trail leg). You also seem to be a little bit of premature chest leaner which will cause you to get casty and also cutoff takeoff a bit (lose speed at takeoff and disrupts timing of takeoff to trail which causes rotational and speed issues off the hurdle. Lean comes from the ground and the penetrating takeoff and then you get good bend from the hips (stabbing out and down will help with that bend at the hip). Work on driving at hurdles with good posture with the lean coming from the takeoff then stabbing down and sweeping away. Manipulate spacings where you feel like you can attack the takeoffs and finish the trail aggressively to work on the interplay with lead arm and legs.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #115830

I would Focus on posture first. The lead arm is the most glaring and that is something you can work on at the same time but Focus on your pelvis getting out of posterior tilt.

The right workouts specifically will clean up a lot of this so drilling down to problems on take off is unnecessary.

CV

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #115832

Normally because my schedule generally does not allow training on Saturday (because of the team’s track meets) or Monday (because of work in the morning), I would do a hard hurdling practice today, but because the weather was poor and I’m a wimp I settled for Max Effort (ME) lower body lifting instead.

In general I follow a scheme of 3 days of lifting a week, on sprinting days, comprised of 1 day of ME lower body, 1 day of olympic and functional lifting, and 1 day of dynamic upper and lower body(recovery lifting).

Usually I have a recovery tempo day on tuesday, so I tend to have my hardest workouts on Sunday to allow for lots of recovery time, which is why I did ME lower body today. Here’s how my lift went:

Deadlift max 3’s up to 455
    Step Ups with 80 lbs onto a 18″ box 3×8 each leg
    One-legged hamstring ball curls 3×8

You are strong enough. I would reduce your split to a 2 times a week lifting program on speed days (total body) of one vertical pull, one horizontal pulls, DB bench, and squats and lunges and single leg squats. Sounds conservative but if you want to change your speed and mechanics you are stronger than 20 13.5 guys in the last 30 years.

Participant
    Roswell on #115843

Phew! much to reply to.

Josh – thanks! I already kept a log of what I do for myself; I figured it’d be easy to translate it to the boards to get some advice

Have you worked on your lead arm some?  Getting it to stab down more over the hurdle and then sweep away. Arm can have some bend, but your lead arm looks like it never even opens up far past 90 (not an effective counter to the rotational torque of the trail leg and also stabbing down helps the opposite side of the pelvis from the lead leg reach to control rotational torques imparted by the lead leg).  Watching your faster hurdles the most glaring running/hurdling issue is controlling rotation off the hurdle.  Shows up here as well as you can’t be super aggressive finishing and running off the trail as it would rotate you a ton.  Your doing a lot of good things, but that is technical area I’d work first.

I’m currently working on my lead arm actually – the problem is that I used to swing out my lead arm really wide, so it would over-rotate my torso, so keeping it close is the mindset behind keeping it a bit closer and not allowing it to extend out too much. I absolutely agree that rotation is one of my biggest problems and getting my lead arm correct is key to fixing this, I just don’t quite have it down yet in the ideal position.

I’d say your lead leg shin is casting a little too much and a little too quickly.

Yeah one of the problems that I’m discovering is that when I’m working on other technical aspects, such as my arms, it’s difficult to retain lead leg snapping down at the same time. Hopefully it will come in time, but at the moment, it’s tough for me to think about both of them at the same time.

Tony – I could do that thing with the med ball, but since it’s only walk-overs, I feel like the speed of walking with my arms in correct positions won’t translate very well to sprinting speeds. That being said, I’ll try it anyway. I typically don’t do higher speed one-step stuff, but I could try it out to see how I like it.

Also 5 step work I like to see a little more of a charge at the hurdle as proper projection angles at takeoff set up the trail (it’s a takeoff leg before it’s a trail leg).  You also seem to be a little bit of premature chest leaner which will cause you to get casty and also cutoff takeoff a bit (lose speed at takeoff and disrupts timing of takeoff to trail which causes rotational and speed issues off the hurdle.  Lean comes from the ground and the penetrating takeoff and then you get good bend from the hips (stabbing out and down will help with that bend at the hip).  Work on driving at hurdles with good posture with the lean coming from the takeoff then stabbing down and sweeping away.  Manipulate spacings where you feel like you can attack the takeoffs and finish the trail aggressively to work on the interplay with lead arm and legs.

I agree that the spacings were probably not the best and that I could do with widening them out next time, because I was really cramped for space whilst 5-stepping at 11.50m, which is mostly why the TO angles were more vertical than they normally would be.

CV – I agree that my strength phase should be over by this point in the season; I’ve really neglected changing my lifting in a while, thanks for pointing that out. Do you know of any hurdle-specific lifting? I’ve benefited in the past using some Frans Bosch’s functional lifting. What would you recommend doing to keep my pelvis in correct alignment? Does this have to do with premature lean?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.