Robots more human than many humans

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #12201

For those of you who are tech geeks like me you may have heard about the recent development in locomotive humanoid robotics today. Researchers in Japan introduced the WABIAN-2R. While humanoid robots have been around for almost 25 years (see Honda's Asimo) the major news is that while the WABIAN-2R has an un-Asafa like top end speed of 1.24 miles per hour it is the first robot to feature a pel

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    flow on #68049

[br][br][img]https://elitetrack.com/images/Blog/wabian-2r.jpg[/img][br][br]For those of you who are tech geeks like me you may have heard about the recent development in locomotive humanoid robotics today. Researchers in Japan introduced the WABIAN-2R. While humanoid robots have been around for almost 25 years (see Honda's Asimo) the major news is that while the WABIAN-2R has an un-Asafa like top end speed of 1.24 miles per hour it is the first robot to feature a pelvis with a swiveling action, allowing it to walk more like a human, with heel-to-toe strides and full extension of the leg. All of the old . . .

what would be the best way to address a frozen pelvis?

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #57273

I would assume defrosting it would help.  🙄

Honestly, the only stuff I know is from google, which came up with quite a bit. I just couldn't pass on saying that above.

And from my little reading on it, its way over my head, so I'll let someone with knowledge address it. I assume your doctor told you about this though, I would think he/she would be the best person to ask.

Participant
    flow on #57274

thanks i guess ill use the microwave,  what do you think?

no, these kids from my neighborhood asked me to take them to track with me,  and they are really horrible.  in any way.  bad running form,  stiff,  weak,  fat -.-
    one of them doesnt do anything but sit in front of the pc.  since he is 15 he´s a hunchback,  but its nice that he wants to move now…

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #57275

Oh, I see what you are saying now. When i searched frozen pelvis, I got alot of information on advanced endometriosis, when the bowels and organs in the pelvic region fuse together.

As a person who spent the majority of his youth playing video games and sitting in front of the pc, I actually feel ok in answering this question 🙂

Since they have spent the majority of their life sitting down and not being active, step one should be getting them motivated enough to stay active. Step two would be starting them on basic fitness and flexibility. Chances are that they have poor motor skills, so any classic games I would assume would help with that.

Mike- would lifting help correct some of their posture? I would assume all that sitting leads to a weak core, and that even basic lifting would help straighten them out.

Any knowledgable voices have more stuff to add or rebuke from mine?

Participant
    flow on #57276

sry i was referring to mikes article on the front page : )

ya,  i have them play whatever once a week,  i let them do extensive tempo runs and core stability  and help them out with their weightlifting.  on weekends they want to go jogging a bit.
    whatever,  i´m not their coach,  just trying to help out.

and not all of them are THAT horrible ; )

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #57277

Haha, I should probably have the front page bookmarked, rather than the message boards 🙂

Participant
    beast on #57278

how exactly do you stretch around the pelvic area? this is where i always feel tight.

Participant
    flow on #57279

hmm….
    lay down on back,  arms to the side.  lay your left leg in a 90°angle to the right side,  turn your head to the left,  looking at the left arm which is stretched out a little "higher" than straight to the side.  try keeping knee and shoulders on the floor…

Participant
    beast on #57280

wow i would never thought of that… il try it. thank you.

Participant
    flow on #57281

sry its weirdly complicated for me to describe.  practically anything that twists the upper body in relation to the hip.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #57282

Frozen pelvis has nothing to do with endometriosis although that's pretty darn funny. What I was referring to is restricted (it's frozen in place) pelvic movement. In a healthy athlete with no restricted movements the athletes pelvis will move in all three planes during locomotion. My research on various athletes indicated that this movement is amplified as speed of moving increases, thus athletes who are restricted in the lumbo-pelvic-hip complex will have their running efficiency and top-end speed potentially limited by their condition.

â?¢Young, M., Swanson, S., and Li, L. (2004). Pelvic tilt kinematics change with increased sprint speed. Presentation at the ACSM Annual Meeting: Indianapolis, IN. Published in MSSE.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #57283

what would be the best way to address this problem?

I address it with daily doses of hurdle mobility with a strict emphasis on posture and lumbo-pelvic-hip positioning; special fascial stretching and general strength routines that focus on the area, and DEEP squatting.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    beast on #57284

thanks Mike.

Participant
    flow on #57285

i want to share what i´ve learned about mikes nomenclature in another post :

I do occasssionally use arse to the ground squats in which place I'll call it DEEP (in caps) or Deep+ squats.

from this thread:
    https://elitetrack.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=94&topic=4331.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.