Reductionist Thinking – Painting Yourself into a Corner

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Vern Gambetta
    Participant
    Vern Gambetta on #14890

My basic premise is that the body is very intelligent and self organizing. It instinctively knows what to do, how to do and when to do it. Daily life activities and sport activities happen way to fast to think about some of the things people try to teach the body to do – proper lifting technique to prevent back injury comes to mind- you can bend your knees in a sterile environment when you have

Continue reading…

Participant
    JeremyRichmond on #72877

Agree with you Vern. Where I work there used to be an obsession with glutes not firing properly. Running on a treadmill would switch the glutes off because the treadmill was doing all the horizontal work which left you to do all the vertical work (jumping). Trouble is the way we were told to test for this dysfunction was with a person lying down so in fact having little if no relevance to standing on one or both legs. Thankfully under my influence beliefs have changed…and everyone in my industry (personal training) seems to claim to be the founder of a fad from long ago. If we do improve anything it is because we have more accurate tools (and a computer to do all the maths- thank goodness) to complement the work of our giant predecessors.

Cheers

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72895

I’ve seen clinical papers about inhibited firing but is there any real research behind this thought process? I’m not aware of any and. I’ve certainly seen problems with posterior chain strength but it sets of red alarms when I hear someone who can claim to SEE poor firing patterns. Kinematic analysis is hard enough to do for any explosive sport activity so how people can make precise diagnoses as to the firing patterns of a particular muscle has always struck me as odd.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.