Protein advice

Participant
    Matt Morsia on #18517

Just a quick one regarding protein intake…. I am a long/triple jumper and am about to start taking whey protein and want to know the best timings/amounts etc. I was planning to take 100g a day (50g for breakfast and 50g directly after training in the evening) and will supplement this with the meat I eat normally. I read in a UKA article that elite athletes should consume 2-2.5g of protein per kg of body weight so I was thinking that for my 80kg body weight I would go for 160g of protein a day (approx). What do you think? Also, is it better to consume it straight after training or gradually throughout the session? Any advice would be appreciated as I don’t want to go too crazy about minute details but would like a rough guide as to the best way to implement it. Cheers

Participant
    Matt Morsia on #117816

just got my whey (5kg of it) so would be awesome if I could get any advice…. just stuff like how much to take post training and also whether it’s better to take it throughout a session or in one hit straight after? thanks

Participant
    sizerp on #117819

What you wrote you are planning is OK. To be honest any potential gain in efficiency from “the optimal” timing is not worth the trouble of worrying about “do I have the best protocol?!?!”.

Participant
    Matt Morsia on #117820

ok cheers, appreciate that

Participant
    Anthony Wallace on #117828

Ok here is what my teammates (both who just competed at the Olympics -Samyr Laine & Ayanna Alexannder*both are tripler jumpers*- intake include for protein. I am doing the same as well and it makes a huge difference

This is for me I am at 165lbs 5’9
    1st Shake is in the morning right when you wake up – 40grams
    2nd Shake an hr before training – 40grams
    3rd Shake right after Training – 20grams
    4th Shake Before bed 20 grams

This amount is adjusted to body weight so that it helps match 1gram to 1lb of body weight.

Yeah it sounds like a lot and it took me sometime to get used to it, modified my diet big time and now this is the only way I actually feel lean and ready to go.
    All my carbs are coming from Veggies/Fruits, Brown rice/wheat bread. No White Pasta
    Gallon plus water a day.

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #117829

I think the big thing with supplementation is it should be that, supplementation. Eat normally, then add the protein you need to get to that optimal level of 1g+ per lb of body-weight. The added advantage to consuming that much protein is it gives you less room to consume those same calories in low quality carbs or fats.

I usually do one 40g shake first thing in AM – and then a higher calorie (protein plus simple carbs) shake during/after workout. Love to cram as much of my daily food intake around the hour before till hour after time window.

Participant
    star61 on #117832

The only thing I would add is that while whey is superior when compared to casein one vs the other, recent studies have shown a combination is actually superior to either taken alone. Also, the longer lasting benefits of casein make it ideal for you bedtime shake.

Participant
    Anthony Wallace on #117835

Hey Star61 what brand of Casein shake would you recommend. I am taking Promasil but I would like to try Casein out as well.

Participant
    Anthony Wallace on #117836

Matt Norquist which protein are you taking? I am taking Promasil.

Participant
    star61 on #117838

Hey Star61 what brand of Casein shake would you recommend. I am taking Promasil but I would like to try Casein out as well.

The most popular are probably Optimum Gold Standard, Dymatize Elite and MusclePharm. Dante sells about every protein known to man over at https://www.truenutrition.com/c-54-proteins.aspx and I hear good things.

Participant
    Matt Morsia on #117846

oh ok that all sounds good. in terms of a workout shake, is it better to drink it spread throughout the session or in one hit directly afterwards? only becuase if im doing weights immediately followed by hills then I feel like I should be taking the protein during/after the weights part as opposed to waiting untill i’ve finished the hills aswell. otherwise it feels like there’s too much of a gap between doing weights and taking the protein

Participant
    Anthony Wallace on #117849

1st Thanks Star61
    2nd Matt Morsia,
    For me I have taken it when the workout was complete, but when my workout is pretty long I usually and snacking on peanuts or almonds to get me thru. I have tried to cut back on the longer workouts because for me I feel it has burned me up later on in the season. But when duty calls and I know that on weekends when it needs to happen I would take a shake an hr before, snack on peanuts or almonds during the duration of the workout with Gatorade cut with H20, then Protein as soon as I have completed the workout.

Participant
    Matt Morsia on #117853

ok cool. another thing… do people take it with water or milk? i’ve tried water and it was like drinking vomit whereas with milk it’s pretty nice. if i do 2 shakes a day with 200-300ml of milk in each then it’s only 200-300 calories a day more but tastes miles better so surely it’s a no-brainer?

Participant
    Anthony Wallace on #117854

This is why i take Promasil – i can take it with H20 and it is really good. My stomach disagrees with many protein powder and this is the 1st it hasnt. It doesnt matter the flavor. 90 calories per scoop, so I have been able to stay lean. Besides it was summer and I wanted to look good for the beach. Promasil is my protein of choice because i cant do the horrible vomit types.

Participant
    David Woods on #118244

Depending on my workout I will take as many as four shakes a day. Either mid morning or mid afternoon I’ll take a scoop of Optimum Nutrition’s Pro Complex (30 grams blended protein). Pre workout I’ll take a scoop of Optimum’s Hydrowhey with a dedicated pre-workout mix (switching soon to Nano Vapor), post workout 2 scoops of something called After Glow (and switching soon to After Shock), and at bed a scoop of Optimum’s Casein. Again, it depends on the workout as I might not take as much on days I’m not lifting or doing any kind of heavy speed or plyo work.

Do I think it works? Yes…but as with anything else in fitness and sports, it requires putting in the work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.