Optimal Distance for Speed Development

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    flow on #19227

a lot of times what's percieved as a max velocity problem is simply a problem with effort/race distribution.  this is one reason why handicapped starts (over 50-80m) or comp. like 80's can really help teach this. and all of a sudden what you thought was an energy system problem gets cleaned up.
    –KT

[/quote]

Thanks Kebba-
    That makes perfect sense. I totally agree.

hey there : )
    although you answered my qestion here  https://elitetrack.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=94&topic=3676.msg40861#quickreply  (see quote below)
    i now stumbled over the thread above and i´m  confused again -.-  sorry.
    how can there be a race distribution when accelerating maximally?  this hole issue throws up questions for  acceleration,  maxV and speed endurance training and really doesnt let me sleep -.-
    would be really nice to get some help again.  i´m really sorry for being such a pain…

[quote author="Flow" date="1158547504"]
    mike,  i have great problems with not accelerating as fast as i can (pride: P ).  at the moment im working in the "just let it happen"  manner,  unfolding and striding as it feels good(under consideration of proper? mechanics).
    should i give this "power not speed" thing a concideration and try to stay longer in a "pushing backward with power,  strong armswing,  emphasized powerfull trippelextension" phase/thing/whatever??
    (quotation marks mark my understanding of the info given in below text and not actual quotes)

I don't really recommend a submaximal acceleration…what I recommend is submaximal turnover during the first 30-50m. To generate momentum efficiently while accelerating one must create as large an impulse as possible. To do this ground contacts should be a little longer. Not plodding along long but longer than at top end speed. One of the most common faults I see is athletes attempting to turnover like crazy in the first couple steps without generating any force whatsoever. As a general statement I'd recommend longer-to-progressively shorter ground contacts, larger ranges of motion of the limbs, and a naturally and progressively changing body angle throughout the acceleration.
    [/quote]

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19228

I don't understand where the hang up is. The response you quoted was from a thread about 55/60m runs. There isn't really any race distribution in a race that short….run the whole thing as hard as possible. In longer races (as discussed in this thread) there may be an advantage to a submaximal acceleration due to the effect that it may have on the latter portions of the race. Either way the real acceleration (i.e. first 20-40m) is going to be essentially the same. In the 100m any throttling back typically takes place in the 40-60m range…so the first 20-40m of a 60m race and a 100m race are practically identical. I guess what I'm saying is that even when an athlete intentially distributes there effort over the course of a race the difference between maximal and submaximal is very slight.

This brings to light a common problem among younger and less experienced athletes. That is, many lack the ability to distinguish gradations of effort and pace. A lot of athletes can't tell the difference between 95% and 100% much less the ~98% and 100% efforts that might be used in a well distributed race.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    flow on #19229

i somehow denied the fact that the latter quote was referring to strictly 55/60m races,  dont know why  :puzzled:
    however you anyhow cleared up everything – i thought the holding back would take place earlier,  thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.