Old Thread: Strength @ LSU

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19313

It depended on whether the athletes were strictly monitored. In Boo's group, he didn't micro-manage %s like I did and athletes tended to lift more as they felt. Those that had a good work ethic progressed very well as this type of setup can be a form of autoregulation on training loads. For example, if you just say 'lift heavy' athletes with a good work ethic will bust their butts in the weight room relative to what they have on a given day. My group was primarily women underclassmen and I felt more comfortable micromanaging the loads then leaving them to their own devices. I think most women tend to be too passive in the weight room, especially newbies. As a whole my group had significantly bigger strength gains but if you take out those who didn't push themselves from the upperclassmen group the gains would be about the same. One thing to note though is that Boo actually deemphasized strength development a little bit with the seniors…

ok thanks mike because i have a triple jumper and i really want to work on incresing his strength numbers in the pc/sq/bp and as you know there are many diff ways to do that westside etc, i use the 3 strength days and 2 bb circuits last fall with a jumper and really didnt see much strength gains in numbers but at the sametime the %'s and other factors could have been better to allow the gains to take place.  i would like to try the 3 strength days and circuits this fall but be a little more aggressive with the %'s.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19314

hey mike are the BB circuits a staple in Ur in season plan, i never done them so I'm wondering about the whole recovery aspect from the volume?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19315

Because of logistical and facility issues they are less a part than I would ideally like. We are able to do them once a week. Ideally I would use them 2-3 times per week. Right now, I replace the circuits with more general strength work, low intensity medball work, and even some low intensity jumps circuits. When I was using them heavily I actually found that after the initial 3-4 weeks of use that they facilitated recovery do to their effect on enhancing endocrine profile.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    J Kilgore on #19316

Mike,
    how about during outdoors?  still 2-3 times a week? and for both long and short sprinters?

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19317

Because of logistical and facility issues they are less a part than I would ideally like. We are able to do them once a week. Ideally I would use them 2-3 times per week. Right now, I replace the circuits with more general strength work, low intensity medball work, and even some low intensity jumps circuits. When I was using them heavily I actually found that after the initial 3-4 weeks of use that they facilitated recovery do to their effect on enhancing endocrine profile.

thanks mike i was just making sure since i have never use them myself and usually high volume stuff really make my legs tired.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19318

Mike,
    how about during outdoors?  still 2-3 times a week? and for both long and short sprinters?

During outdoors 0-2 times per week. No difference between long and short sprinters.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19319

thanks mike i was just making sure since i have never use them myself and usually high volume stuff really make my legs tired.

It can, especially initially. It's important to introduce it early on so that you have moved past all potentially detrimental (but short-term) affects and have started to reap the positive affects by the competitive season. Also, don't try to push around big weights on the circuits. Some of my hyper-motivated athletes (one of whom is a member on this board) try to do this and it always leads to overtraining. In some ways, you almost need to just 'go through the motions.'

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19320

[quote author="utfootball4" date="1152815848"]

It can, especially initially. It's important to introduce it early on so that you have moved past all potentially detrimental (but short-term) affects and have started to reap the positive affects by the competitive season. Also, don't try to push around big weights on the circuits. Some of my hyper-motivated athletes (one of whom is a member on this board) try to do this and it always leads to overtraining. In some ways, you almost need to just 'go through the motions.'
    [/quote]

yes i totally agree i will start early fall and will use no more then 65lbs for movements like lunges and presses etc so by jan its just a recovery workout.  with the above jumpers program you posted above is this only jumpers or how the sprinters strength train also?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19321

The workout I posted above was what was done with the jumpers at LSU. The LSU sprinters do similar circuits in a very similar fashion.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19322

The workout I posted above was what was done with the jumpers at LSU. The LSU sprinters do similar circuits in a very similar fashion.

ok i was just curious bc i dont think Coach Henry use them at AM.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19323

Pat coached the men's sprints @ LSU; Shaver coached the women when Pat was there and now he coaches both. Pat didn't use as much strength work with his sprinters.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19324

Pat coached the men's sprints @ LSU; Shaver coached the women when Pat was there and now he coaches both. Pat didn't use as much strength work with his sprinters.

yeh i understand that, the last time i spoke to Vince Anderson he use a very similar method  with his short sprinters as lsu but without the bb circuits.

Participant
    benny-the-jet-rodriguez on #19325

https://stackmagazine.com/Content/Site012/Articles/05_01_2005/LouisianaStateJ_00000003645.pdf

I was looking for some videos by Boo the other day and I came across this lifting template.  Mike, since you worked with him I was hoping you'd be able to answer a few questions about it for me. 

During what phase would a week like this occur? 

I assumed the Tuesday and Thursday bodybuilding workouts were, for lack of a better term, "tempo" lifting days.  Is that a good way to describe them and at what type of intensity should they be performed?  Are they done in circuit fashion or are both sets of each exercise done together? 

Judging by the lifting Iâ??m assuming Monday, Wednesday, Friday are high intensity days (on the track) for this week.  Am I right?

Thanks in advance

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19326

That is pre-comp for sure.

I assumed the Tuesday and Thursday bodybuilding workouts were, for lack of a better term, "tempo" lifting days.  Is that a good way to describe them and at what type of intensity should they be performed?

Yes that would be an accurate description. 

Are they done in circuit fashion or are both sets of each exercise done together? 

That varies. Sometimes the exercises are done in sequence other times the sets are done in sequence.

Judging by the lifting Iâ??m assuming Monday, Wednesday, Friday are high intensity days (on the track) for this week.  Am I right?

Yes. You are correct.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    benny-the-jet-rodriguez on #19327

[quote author="Benny The Jet Rodriguez" date="1170729201"]

That is pre-comp for sure.

I assumed the Tuesday and Thursday bodybuilding workouts were, for lack of a better term, "tempo" lifting days.  Is that a good way to describe them and at what type of intensity should they be performed?

Yes that would be an accurate description. 

Are they done in circuit fashion or are both sets of each exercise done together? 

That varies. Sometimes the exercises are done in sequence other times the sets are done in sequence.

Judging by the lifting I’m assuming Monday, Wednesday, Friday are high intensity days (on the track) for this week.  Am I right?

Yes. You are correct.
    [/quote]Awsome.  Thanks man.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.