Old Thread: Jumpers who sprint

Posted In: Jumps

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #8303

posted on 9-9-2002 at 06:12 AM by mike

Jumpers who sprint

Jacko brought up an interesting question that I thought deserved a thread of it’s own. He wrote….

On an unrelated note you mentioned that some of the jumper (3 or 4) would sprint also, did they do any different sessions to allow for this.(I know walter led off the 4×100)
    What changes to Boo’s program would you make for someone who wanted to sprint as well as jump?
    =================================================

posted on 9-9-2002 at 06:21 AM by mike

For the most part, the jumpers who also sprinted didn’t do anything extra. Walter and one of our females who ran on our 4 x 100m were the only one who were fast enough to be NCAA qualifiers in the sprints (Walter in fact probably would have been top 3 in the open 100m if he had run it!). So for the most part, these kids, while exceptionally fast, were not going to excel at the national level in the sprints. As such, they weren’t really trained differently than the rest of the jumpers. The kids are pretty specialized at LSU and I think they benefit from it because they don’t have to worry about having to do 4-5 events just for us to win.

One thing that the jumpers / sprinters did differently was that they did some of their acceleration work and interval / repeat work from blocks. The other athletes would either do 3-point starts or roll-over starts. Also, the kids who made the relay squads would work handoffs a couple times a week.

I am interested to hear what others who do not have the luxury of talent depth that we do do with their jump/sprint athletes. I had a pole vaulter when I was at OU who was also a 10.58, 21.0 guy and we did some sprint training with him.

posted on 9-10-2002 at 05:23 AM by jacko

I tend to think some sprint programs should be closer to the jumps programs, the increased emphasis on Plyometric work and vertical force production has a positive effect on maximum velocity, if anything the main factor preventing some jumpers from sprinting faster is block start technique and in some cases limited speed endurance, that being said I have seen a lot of Long jumpers run very good 200’s, I think this may be because of efficient use of elastic energy while saving the metabolic energy.
    Boo’s program looks very similar in structure to Dan’s, so I don’t think it could be far away from producing some very fast individuals.

Mike, what else do you guys do as a Vmax session (apart from the varied speed 90’s).

posted on 9-10-2002 at 03:33 PM by mike

Believe it or not, other than the sprint-float-sprint 90m, we don’t really do too much that could be considered strictly maximum velocity work. However, when we do full approach runway work, max velocity (or very near it if you want to be technical) is being developed because the acceleration curve is so much steeper in an approach compared to an open sprint. As such, the athlete reaches near maximal velocities around 30m compared to 50-60m for open sprinting. Also, when the outdoor season starts, our Saturday sessions incorporate some shorter repeats (120-150m) with full recovery that also develop maximum velocity.

posted on 9-10-2002 at 10:21 PM by jacko

On the saturday sessions..
    So you start with say 4×400 or 5×300 with 2′
    and progress these though the first prep and indoor seasons then move to shorter distances with full recovery just before or early outdoors? What happens to the interval type stuff if you are competing on Saturday?

posted on 9-11-2002 at 02:37 AM by mike

Jacko, you’re right on about the Saturday sessions. As far as competition weeks, the kids who are competing don’t
    run the Saturday workouts. The kids who are not competing typically run the workout.

posted on 9-20-2002 at 06:00 AM by jacko

What types of General jump work do you do, I’m looking to develop the SSC cycle without going into the higher stress type stuff.

posted on 9-20-2002 at 11:40 PM by mike

We do multi-jump circuits similar to those that Dan Pfaff has come up with. I think they are good because they can help monitor intensity, can add variety, and can change the foot strike position and direction of force application.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.