Nick Newman 2014 Training Log

Posted In: Training Journals

• Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #18968

So, it’s almost time to get ready again for another season. I took off this year and will start slowly again this coming Sunday.

I have trained maybe once a week on avg over the past 6 months or so.

Here are my pre-training testing numbers done over past 2 weeks…

(freelap hand pad)

10m – 1.79
    20m – 2.99
    30m – 4.01
    20-30m – 1.02

Clean – 304
    Deep squat – 330
    Standing Vert – 35.5
    Approach vert – 40.3

The goal = 8m and be done!

Training starts Sunday 🙂 My website (www.jumprathletics.com will also have the log along with videos and pics)

Questions welcome. Thanks.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #120158

Cool!

1.) So if you hit 8 meters this year, you’ll be done?

2.) How are you going to approach this year after the long lay-off?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #120161

Hey Zack, how have you been?

Your first question. Yeah that’s the plan 🙂 It’s a quest for me now. Not doing it to make a team or title or anything else. It also might be goal to compete at US Nationals which I will soon be able to do.

Your second question. Well,

The strange thing is that my pre-training numbers are pretty much higher than they’ve ever been. I expect them to go down after the first 4-6 weeks as I will be taking it easy for the most part. Will take a semi structured approach to the first 8 weeks or so. It’ll be general prep but not crazy general. I won’t be long jumping for quite a while that’s for the sure.

Set up will be as follows:

Sun – Accel tech & Plyos
    Mon – Weights & Med ball
    Tues – REST
    Wed – Accels
    Thurs – Plyo / Fitness circuits
    Fri – Weights
    Sat – Rest

Participant
    mortac8 on #120163

So, it’s almost time to get ready again for another season. I took off this year and will start slowly again this coming Sunday.

I have trained maybe once a week on avg over the past 6 months or so.

Here are my pre-training testing numbers done over past 2 weeks…

(freelap hand pad)

10m – 1.79
    20m – 2.99
    30m – 4.01
    20-30m – 1.02

Clean – 304
    Deep squat – 330
    Standing Vert – 35.5
    Approach vert – 40.3

Damn that’s pretty good. What if you just trained twice a week instead of 1? [Yes I’m being serious]

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #120164

I’ve been speaking with several people about all this lately…

About only training 3 times per week actually. I’m not really sure how to approach it. I do expect my numbers to get worse over the next 4 weeks though.

I questioned a lot about these numbers. Over training in the past etc etc… but clearly my neural pathways etc are finally all cleared up and recovered. I have a lot in the bank from all the years previously. What does this mean going forward? Maybe Carl or Mike know the answer better than I do?

My 30m is way down from when I was with Mike. But my top speed (if I did 30-40m) seems to be close its best…

I dunno man….I think 4 days a week training is what i’ll do. I will certainly not do 6 days again for longer than a short cycle.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #120172

Here we go!

Short warm up, static flex
    Sprint drills over 20m, dynamic flex
    6x20m build ups

– 10x10m sprints @95% from 3pt stance
    – 2×10 stiff box drops
    – 2x30m power skips for height
    – 2×10 split box jumps

BW circuit – 2×10
    – push ups
    – dips
    – supine pull ups
    – side hip raises on hand
    – supermans
    – alt V-ups
    – elevated hindu push ups

Day 1 went really. Ran a under 1.85 every time including a couple of 1.81’s. Wasn’t pushing up. Felt good.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #120173

What’s your overall training situation look like this year facility and timewise?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #120174

Oh it’s great yeah. I have all the time I need to train, I have an indoor 40m tracks anytime, the best weights, balls, boxes etc etc…Track is close by also. No problems there.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #120175

Today’s training:

MB: 5kg – 2×6 each

– Seated forward chest throw
    – forward slams
    – side slams
    – OHB

Weights:

– Clean pulls – 4×5 @build up to 200
    – DEEP squats – 3×8 @build up to 220
    – Side squats – 2×6 each leg @light weight
    – S/L RDL – 2×8 @30lb DM

Felt good. Squat felt really good. I’m making sure I do a lot of foam rolling and stretching. More so than in other years. Ankle is doing well and a lot of tibialis work helps that a lot.

Participant
    Christopher Glaeser on #120176

Oh it’s great yeah. I have all the time I need to train, I have an indoor 40m tracks anytime, the best weights, balls, boxes …

… and your personal timing system. 🙂

Brooks Johnson sent me this photo of David Oliver[/url] during his trek to Moscow.

I love watching the Diamond League and counting the number of lanes that have integrated electronic timing into their training programs.

Best,
    Christopher

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #120179

haha yes we have MANY freelap systems here and we use them EVERY day! 🙂 Thanks

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #120180

Todays training – General Fitness

– Long warm up, static flex

– Bleep test (got to level 7) :/ lol (Supposed to do 20 min rowing but I decided to join in a bleep test instead.

– Weight circuit – 2×15 each (DB shoulder press, DB bench, Supine pull ups, DB rows, band chest press, upright side raise, cable rows, supermans, v ups)

– Jump circuit (low box) – 2×10 each (up downs, lateral up downs, split jumps, lateral split jumps, single leg up downs, side split jumps)

– Core stability – 2×30 sec holds on stability ball (4 exercises)

Felt great to be done with all this. I hate this type of training but overall it went well. Bleep test was harder than expected, although I am very sore from yesterdays lifting.

Participant
    davan on #120182

Were you not trying or were you seriously only able to get to level 7?

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #120183

lol…well,

A few things… I had terrible pacing throughout, i’d never done it before, my legs were killing me, I HATE all things endurance, I can’t focus for that long ever, endurance sucks! and… it serves not purpose for me and I just did it because why not…

That being said, level 9 is probably my max bleep!

Participant
    davan on #120184

I generally agree that endurance isn’t important for long jumping and I think people can get carried away with crazy long warm-ups and cool downs, but that kind of score would indicate to me that there are some serious fitness issues. We did tests like that back in high school football and most of the non-obese linemen would get into the 9s and any ‘lighter’ weight person could surpass 10 if they had been working out at all. I mean, my buddy dated a Chicago city cop and I think she needed to score an 8 and did it while overweight.

I imagine with this level of fitness it’d also be hard to compete well in a full competition (6 jumps plus warm-ups).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.