NFL Combine – The Happening in the Dome

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Vern Gambetta
    Participant
    Vern Gambetta on #12813

Today is the first day of the NFL Combine, the event which along with Groundhog Day signifies the arrival of spring. This year the combine has been moved a week or two, I am not sure because unlike many of my colleagues my life and livelihood does not depend on this happening. Combine training has become a parlor industry with every ex player who ever strapped on a helmet and lifted a weight adver

Continue reading…

Participant
    jumanji on #71096

Coach~

While I agree about the side industries made up of non-educated genetically gifted former athletes espousing training knowledge, I wonder if you have seen the works and results of the team from New Jersey.  I assume you are and I are talking about the same team, and the results acheived in a few short month often surpass whatever training the athlete did over the past four years…. Also, a track coach would be great, but more than half of the tests are non-linear, and this is not the expertise of a track coach, so the comment isn't fitting.

The athletes at Universities face the same issues that so many of us rail against daily, non-progressive, non-needs based training prescribed over the period of four years…. trying to fit different shaped pegs into a cookie-cutter program that is geared towards fast twitch dominant athletes who already possess stiffness in their lower extremities.

Much like yourself, I often find the squat rack based programs which lack an appropriate amount of unilateral work, both linear and lateral, and definitely lack hip extension work.  You can always tell an athlete who has spent four years in a system like this just by watchig him/her run.  I say her because many ladies find themselves being prescribed a watered down football type lifting program.

This is all without addressing an appropriately prescribed plyometric program that is PROGRESSIVE.  The last college I consulted with had every athlete (Fr-Sr) doing the same volume, rep schemes, and plyos… and this was a DI College in a Big Six Conference.  I have an issue because the SC coach claims that an athlete would make progress over the four years they are there…. and then admit that an athlete with three solid years lifting experience should not be doing the same loads and volume as a newbie…. but fails to see the overall hypocrisy.

I do agree that many of these athletes could and should do much better when they train at their home facilities…but with parties every night of the week at the local bars, and girls (NFL here), and Playstation, etc…. they simply will not do better.  It is a double edged sword… part the lack of knowledge on the part of SC coaches in combine prep, and part the athlete's self destructive nature…..

So, does it make sense to remove the athlete from their self destructive surroundings and hire a trainer who specializes in combine training…..who really knows the tests, the exact techniques, and then does a diagnostic on the athlete to find out what underlying physical characteristics are lacking and can be trained over 3 months…. then assigns an exact diet and supplement schedule, along with daily training schedule…..?

When the difference can mean hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars, and the training team in question peoduces results year in and year out……

The answer is simple for agents and athletes.

To say they should stay at their school and keep doing the same thing shows a lack of understanding of all the issues, and downplays the fact that this test can be prepped for… and the training they are doing can be improved upon substantially in many cases.

Why did Roy come to you to prep for our National Team instead of just doing what he had been doing?

Same answer…. you have expertise and created an environment where he would focus….

Hmmmm…

Participant
    utfootball4 on #63069

these combine camps dont do anything special but baby guys, these guys should stay at there schools and prepare. keep during the things that u have been during the last 4-5 yrs.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #63070

for ur guys who are following the NFL combine Calvin johnson of Georgia tech is a animal, 6'5 239 45 VJ and 4.3 40. his 40 tech today was shitty, he was standing str up on his first step.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #63071

for ur guys who are following the NFL combine Calvin johnson of Georgia tech is a animal, 6'5 239 45 VJ and 4.3 40. his 40 tech today was shitty, he was standing str up on his first step.

One phenomenon I've noticed with football guys who run the 40 yd is that there mechanics tend to go down the toilet when you put them on the line and put a stop watch on them. The very same athletes would never exhibit those mechanics on the field but when you make them run for time things tend to change.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #63072

I watched CJ's 40 run and he actually looked like a guy who knows how to run and he didn't seem to lift straight up and was very relaxed.  All the sub 4.30-4.40 guys ran that way.  I think Greg Olsen, Brian Leonard, and Darius Walker and the Arizona rb all made money this weekend.  I think the biggest loser was the ASU TE. 

Participant
    fastsprinter100m on #63073

[quote author="utfootball4" date="1172451369"]

One phenomenon I've noticed with football guys who run the 40 yd is that there mechanics tend to go down the toilet when you put them on the line and put a stop watch on them. The very same athletes would never exhibit those mechanics on the field but when you make them run for time things tend to change.
    [/quote]

Most combine guys should be use to getting time with there runs because most precombine camps time them every week.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #63074

most combine guys should be use to getting time with there runs bc most camps time them every week.

Just because they're used o being timed doesn't mean they don't modify mechanics when they are. I see it all the time. When given other things to think about (running routes, catching balls, etc) running mechanics appear pretty good.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.