Much Maligned Strength Coaches

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #13023

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this article on ESPN.com. Is the strength coach really too blame? They receive almost no credit when a team does well…but when the team does poorly… 

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #67994

3 pitchers with same injury.  It has to be something with the training.  Although, I don't know if you could say it was strength coach from that alone.  Maybe somebody pointed out something in the training protocol that could have caused this.  It could have been the pitching coach and the unseasonably cold weather at the beginning of the season mixed in with the change in training.  Lots of variables, but it's probably training related.

Participant
    Ali121375 on #64493

We don't know exactly what the program the pitchers were on, there could be a chance they were doing something wrong. Last i checked the injuries did not occur during training or in the weight room(?).  Why doesn't the pitching coach get fired?? Three of the same injuries could easily be in the mechanics of the pitchers.  The Yankee's ptichers have not been cutting it the past could of years, perhaps there looking in the wrong place?
    Does anyone know what type of strength and conditioning program they are doing? It would seem that putting the body in balance and correcting asym. problems is the priority in training, not pushing the limits.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #64494

I'm kinda split on this one. It just seems that position coaches (in football or baseball) rarely ever get fired over such injuries. They're always blamed on strength coaches. Part of the problem as Vern points on in a later blog is that many of the people hired as 'pro strength coaches' are under-qualified.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    benny-the-jet-rodriguez on #64495

During spring break 05 I trained in the Disney Sports complex.  One of the days we were down there we shared a weight room with the atlanta braves, who were employing a cookie cutter high school workout(I wish I remembered the specifics, but all I remember is it resembled my high school baseball lifting).  I was fortunate enough to meet their stregnth and conditioning coach, who by the way confirmed that I was faster than Raphael Furcal ;).  Anyway I am a huge fan of both major and minor league baseball and with the exception of Horacio Ramirez I did not recognize a single player.  It was not during a game and the fields were empty so I assume anybody worth a damn was doing their own thing with their own guy.  I asked my coach about it later and he basically said what Vern did; that these guys are hired because of who they are and who they know, not because of what they know.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #64496

Yeah, my impression has kinda been that strength and conditioning coaches are, in general, less qualified than their collegiate counterparts.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.