Motor Medicine: What do Medicine Balls Do?

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #17104

With the load of medicine balls being on average 10% of BW or lower, are they poor manufacturers of power? Does the 10% rule of sleds poison the use of medicine ball use? I think medicine balls are not prime developers of explosive power because they simply don’t provide much of an overload. The same rules apply to balls as they apply to bars, but the application is different. The adage is that b

Continue reading…

Participant
    Rich Tolman(mr-glove) on #103051

What are your thoughts on med balls and shifting fibers for the youngsters a la Charlie Francis?

Can you expand on advanced athletes using it to increase volume safely?

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #103069

Mr.Glove,

I dont’ think the medicine balls will make a big impact since they are also used for conditioning purposes. Advanced athletes tend to do more jumps with the ball into a throw for overload and going bilateral helps support sprints since speed work is very demanding on the feet. Often the taper requires support work that is safe and effective. How much of what is unknown….

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #103073

Including and progressing running steps prior to the throws is also something which is done with advanced athletes.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #103076

Good point Nick. Could you show how you do the exercise when you can? Since you are a jumper it would be good to see how you run with the ball for our readers.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #103078

Never know if your being sarcastic or not…

But, i know a number of good coaches who practice M/B training and who use run in steps. I’ve also used them myself and like them.

Anyway, i am not quite at that progression yet this season and have also lost my video camera. But when i can i will put videos up if people want to see it.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #103079

Nick,

I think it’s a valid but advanced exercise. It happens to be rare so could you share the video when are in the right phase?

Thanks.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #103080

Yes i will.

I progress to run in steps the same way i do with bounding. As the season gets closer everything is to be done at greater speeds.

Participant
    MORTONB@mail.etsu.edu on #103127

I love using med balls. I think they serve the purpose depending on when they are implemented. I usually like to implement them after short sprint work. After doing themtwice a week, I’ve noticed my sprinters have began to understand applying force takes time and they aren’t trying to be quick and shorten up the range of motion as a result of this understanding. I think med balls help them feel comfortable applying force for what feels like a long time to them but after their bodies have been neuro programmed it doesn’t feel as slow. this mindset translates well over to block starts and acceleration.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #103153

Great post. The sensations and feelings are very important to teach. Thanks for your contribution.

Participant
    DJ Michel on #103154

Brandon…Great post. A lot of our athletes have said the same thing about the correlation between med-ball and acceleration.

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #103163

Nick,

I think it’s a valid but advanced exercise. It happens to be rare so could you share the video when are in the right phase?

Thanks.

I like them with ball held overhead and hit the penultimate and plant step as you would for a javelin. Can also go over the block if doing as a jump exercise.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.