More Good News on Coffee

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #14865

Here’s two new abstracts from the latest edition of MSSE. The first one in particular is new news because to the best of my knowledge it’s one of the first looking at the effects on sprint running (sprint cycling has been examined quite a bit). The results aren’t really unexpected but it’s always nice to see our assumptions backed up by some hard evidence. Thanks go out to Jason for sending t

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        BLogaN on #72479

I’m not sure if you can extrapolate these results to coffee…(see below)

J Appl Physiol 85(3):883, 1998.

Summary: These authors wanted to investigate whether ingesting caffeine as part of a coffee beverage was an effective ergogenic aid. Nine well-trained adults were recruited for the study. Each participant underwent five exercise trials. Forty-eight hours before each trial, subjects were asked to not ingest any caffeine containing beverage. One hour before each exercise test the subjects ingested one of five different caffeine or placebo containing supplements or drinks. Each test substance contained the same amount of caffeine (4.45 mg/kg body weight). Plasma levels of caffeine were similiar after the regular coffee, decaf + caffeine drinks, and caffeine capsules.

Time to exhaustion on the treadmill test was increased, compared to the placebo group, only after the pure caffeine capsule challenge. Blood lactate, glycerol and glucose values increased from the beginning of the exercise bout till exhaustion. There were no differences in these blood levels between caffeine capsules, placebo and caffeinated beverage drinks. All caffeine trials resulted in higher before exercise and higher blood epinephrine levels at exhaustion when compared with placebo and decaf coffee.

Commentary: The average time to exhaustion on the treadmill test was 32 minutes after the placebo compared to 42 minutes after ingesting pure caffeine. Thirty-three minutes was the average time to exhaustion after caffeine consumed as part of a coffee drink. Not surprisingly some of the many constituents in coffee seem to nullify the ergogenic effect of the caffeine drug. Since coffee drinks led to similiar blood levels of caffeine as ingesting the caffeine in capsule form, the different endurance effects cannot be explained by different blood levels of caffeine. The results of this study are an excellent example of an herbal extract, coffee drink, having a different physiological effect than a single constituent or drug. It seems unwise and misleading to call whole herbs or herbal extracts, drugs.

As mentioned previously, several authors have suggested that the ergogenic effect of caffeine is due to its ability to increase blood epinephrine levels. Like the previous study, the results of this study do not support that hypothesis.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #72480

I think you probably can. There’s actually a ton of research on the benefits of caffeine on endurance activities. The one I posted today though is one of the first I’ve seen to show that there is on sprint performance.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Chad Williams on #72619

More on caffeine . . .

High rates of muscle glycogen resynthesis after exhaustive exercise when carbohydrate is coingested with caffeine.
        Pedersen DJ, Lessard SJ, Coffey VG, Churchley EG, Wootton AM, Ng T, Watt MJ, Hawley JA.
        School of Medical Sciences, RMIT Univ., PO Box 71, Bundoora 3083, Victoria, Australia. john.hawley@rmit.edu.au).

We determined the effect of coingestion of caffeine (Caff) with carbohydrate (CHO) on rates of muscle glycogen resynthesis during recovery from exhaustive exercise in seven trained subjects who completed two experimental trials in a randomized, double-blind crossover design. The evening before an experiment subjects performed intermittent exhaustive cycling and then consumed a low-CHO meal. The next morning subjects rode until volitional fatigue. On completion of this ride subjects consumed either CHO [4 g/kg body mass (BM)] or the same amount of CHO + Caff (8 mg/kg BM) during 4 h of passive recovery. Muscle biopsies and blood samples were taken at regular intervals throughout recovery. Muscle glycogen levels were similar at exhaustion [ approximately 75 mmol/kg dry wt (dw)] and increased by a similar amount ( approximately 80%) after 1 h of recovery (133 +/- 37.8 vs. 149 +/- 48 mmol/kg dw for CHO and Caff, respectively). After 4 h of recovery Caff resulted in higher glycogen accumulation (313 +/- 69 vs. 234 +/- 50 mmol/kg dw, P < 0.001). Accordingly, the overall rate of resynthesis for the 4-h recovery period was 66% higher in Caff compared with CHO (57.7 +/- 18.5 vs. 38.0 +/- 7.7 mmol.kg dw(-1).h(-1), P < 0.05). After 1 h of recovery plasma Caff levels had increased to 31 +/- 11 muM (P < 0.001) and at the end of the recovery reached 77 +/- 11 muM (P < 0.001) with Caff. Phosphorylation of CaMK(Thr286) was similar after exercise and after 1 h of recovery, but after 4 h CaMK(Thr286) phosphorylation was higher in Caff than CHO (P < 0.05). Phosphorylation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)(Thr172) and Akt(Ser473) was similar for both treatments at all time points. We provide the first evidence that in trained subjects coingestion of large amounts of Caff (8 mg/kg BM) with CHO has an additive effect on rates of postexercise muscle glycogen accumulation compared with consumption of CHO alone.

Participant
        Tom ONeill on #73251

4.45 mgs? Isn’t that like 3 cups of coffee for a 150 pound male? That seems like a lot. How many grams are typically in a generic caffeine pill? Any theories as to whether pills are better than coffee? It seems an athlete who pops a pill rather than drinking 3 cups of coffee would be more likely to properly hydrate, but of course I haven’t done any research to support this theory.

Participant
        Tom ONeill on #73986

I went to the Bills game this yesterday and had to drive from Buffalo to Jersey after the game. I took a product called “6 hour power”, which I assume is the Canadian version of 5 hour energy. Anyway I felt great the entire ride. It wasn’t like drinking red bull or taking a caffeine pill at all. I just felt awake and refreshed. There was also no crash, which I loved.

It made me wonder if something like that would be appropriate for a meet since 1)meets are often 5+ hours, and 2)an athlete in events at the beginning and end of the day would like to avoid a caffeine crash. What do you guys think, anybody ever try this product?

Participant
        mortac8 on #73993

I like 5 hour energy a lot. I think it would be good for meets… though I usually go with somewhat shorter acting things such as chewing caffeine pills.

Participant
        BLogaN on #74001

I’ve seen empty bottles of 5-h energy in the porter potties set up on the track I use, so I guess some people do use it for meets…

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #74024

What are the active ingredients in 5 hour energy and how do they time release they energy boost in a liquid form (when you can’t presumably control it through digestion times).

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        BLogaN on #74026

Here are the ingredients: https://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/5_hour_energy_ingredients.jpg

I’ve never taken it so I can’t speak to the 5-hour claim. Probably has more to do with the half life of the ingredients rather than anything else. Looks like a hefty dose of L-Tyrosine too, and I don’t
        know the kinetics of that converting to dopamine–>norepinephrine, which may provide for a sustained boost
        after the caffeine kick wears off…

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #74027

WOW. Check out the B12 dosage. I wonder how much of that is actually absorbed through the gut in a single dose?

Stick with Coffee. It’s perfect. On a related note, did anyone get there free cup of coffee from Starbucks yesterday? They had an election promo.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Aaron Springer on #74041

Guarana was actually banned this year by Illinois High School Association. They started random drug testing for state athletes and guarana was listed as one of the substances.

I had never really thought caffeine had such a positive effect on performance.

Participant
        mortac8 on #74044

Guarana being tested for in HS? wtf. What is the limit dosage?

I got my free Starbucks yesterday. Someone told me it was illegal to only give free coffee to voters as I was told so they gave it free to everyone. Actually I got my cup and gave it away as I save all stimulants for training so I can have maximum energy to blow myself up.

Participant
        davan on #74049

How do we know the dose of tyrosine?

I’ve nnoticed good effects of it when combined with caff, but only at significantly higher doses.

Participant
        Aaron Springer on #74050

Guarana being tested for in HS? wtf. What is the limit dosage?

I got my free Starbucks yesterday. Someone told me it was illegal to only give free coffee to voters as I was told so they gave it free to everyone. Actually I got my cup and gave it away as I save all stimulants for training so I can have maximum energy to blow myself up.

The sheet we were given didn’t specify a dosage. So I just assumed it couldn’t be found in your system at all.

I thought guarana was just a form of caffeine anyway. Would it leave traces much different from other natural sources of caffeine?

EDIT: Here is the sheet we are given. No more than 15 mcg per ml may be found in urine testing. (I have no idea how large or small of an amount that is.)
        https://www.ihsa.org/initiatives/sportsMedicine/files/IHSA_banned_drug_classes.pdf

Participant
        davan on #74051

Yeah it is just caffeine. I forget what 15mcg/ml ends up being, but there was a study before looking at the NCAA protocols for testing for caffeine and the max allowable dosage was far above anything a normal person would have. Only way they could test positive is extreme dehydration or stupidity (think dosage would have needed to be something like 800-1000+mg of caffeine at the minimum within a couple hour period for a personal of average size, which is absurdly high).

Participant
        burkhalter on #74052

I like aniracetam + coffee + usually something with choline they say you need with aniracetam. Don’t like piracetam, makes me sleepy. Occasionally use red bull or similar plus aniracetam.

I even like coffee while lifting like the Bulgarians supposedly do. 🙂

Has anyone tried vassopressin (desmopressin)? Is it legal in US? Banned for competition?

Participant
        davan on #74053

I like piracetam, but the taste keeps me from using it much. My roommate didn’t check out the reviews about how bad the powder tastes and he has about a kilo that he doesn’t use, so I am able to dose at will. There is no way I can handle that taste regularly though. It is absolutely putrid.

Participant
        burkhalter on #74054

I like piracetam, but the taste keeps me from using it much. My roommate didn’t check out the reviews about how bad the powder tastes and he has about a kilo that he doesn’t use, so I am able to dose at will. There is no way I can handle that taste regularly though. It is absolutely putrid.

Ha Ha I take it straight from a spoon. Chase with water.

Participant
        mortac8 on #74055

are you kevin larabee?
        btw piracetam does nothing for me. you can have my tub too. i’ll send it to you so you can feast on it for thanksgiving.

Participant
        davan on #74056

[quote author="davan" date="1225965633"]I like piracetam, but the taste keeps me from using it much. My roommate didn’t check out the reviews about how bad the powder tastes and he has about a kilo that he doesn’t use, so I am able to dose at will. There is no way I can handle that taste regularly though. It is absolutely putrid.

Ha Ha I take it straight from a spoon. Chase with water.[/quote]

How much do you take? honestly, I don’t know how you can get rid of that after taste. I tried to do the straight from a spoon–chase with water and I felt like I was going to vomit for a good 10 minutes or so. The only thing that kind of works is extreme dilution in very sweet juice, but that is too much effort.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.