Miseducated Guess Work?

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #18899

Stu and Henk have two very different posts in regards to working with athletes. I find it difficult each week to blog about something such as the difference between listening our bodies and using science to help with that sixth sense. I find myself not in the middle, but on both sides at the same time. No coach is perfect, but the advantage is being closer in accuracy in running the program versus

Continue reading…

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #119996

The problem with emg is that it is entirely impractical in a team setting. You will never have the resources to be able to use emg with 50+ athletes. Or 20. Or even 10. And get a practice done in the time you are allotted in the gym. I often listen to Stu a lot because he has solid coaching advice that is applicable damn near everywhere. Henk has great ideas that I would love to test out, but I feel it’s just impractical at the collegiate level that the majority of us coach at.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #119999

The problem with emg is that it is entirely impractical in a team setting. You will never have the resources to be able to use emg with 50+ athletes. Or 20. Or even 10. And get a practice done in the time you are allotted in the gym. I often listen to Stu a lot because he has solid coaching advice that is applicable damn near everywhere. Henk has great ideas that I would love to test out, but I feel it’s just impractical at the collegiate level that the majority of us coach at.

This is not an EMG post nor an equipment post but I understand your point with practical needs. Regardless if you are having a subjective discussion (old school) with 20 or 50 athletes, time matters with any method, no matter how old or new it is. How one feels “talks” is hard when 20 other athletes are wanting to get help with blocks or even get a time, so all methods must be time efficient. On the other hand….a full ride set of athletes and some colleges are outsourcing PT that use EMG because 30-40k per year means something, especially if one’s job is on the line for big schools. Henk has some great points because it worked for WR performance and podium results. Look at an iphone app to get video, simple but very high tech if you think about it!

130 kids in High School? Bull horn and crowd control!

CV

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.