Maximum Velocity Sprint Mechanics

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #15375

Here’s a 5 minute snippet from a video about top end sprinting mechanics. Our discussion of sprint mechanics on this board have been some of the best so questions and comments on this are welcome. I made this about 2 years ago and my understanding of sprint mechanics has been an ongoing process since.

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    hscoach on #78141

i quote you like the gospel so you better not be changing anything! just kidding … not really.

Participant
    hscoach on #78144

btw … why does every tom, dick and harry still tell their athletes to “claw” the ground. i am sorry to bring up this sore subject but it happens all the time!

Participant
    tkaberna on #78148

I still work with a coach who swears by clawing the ground as well. Seemed to work well for his kids as sprinters. His athlete still holds the 200m record in Illinois by pawing. We do teach to push up though.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #78161

btw … why does every tom, dick and harry still tell their athletes to “claw” the ground. i am sorry to bring up this sore subject but it happens all the time!

You’d be amazed to hear many very prominent track coaches who still believe you need to claw at the ground. It’s a total misrepresentation and misunderstanding of the research which has shown that faster runners have greater negative foot speed with respect to the ground at ground contact.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #78162

i quote you like the gospel so you better not be changing anything! just kidding … not really.

Only a couple things have changed on sprint mechanics however my understanding has expanded a bit since I put this video out. The more I learn about sprinting the more I understand how complex a task it is. It’s amazing how effortlessly so many athletes do it well. Even if we follow the ‘totally innate’, ‘mechanics don’t matter’ or even the spinal generator theories, it’s still amazing because the muscular coordination required to sprint efficiently is just mind boggling.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Jay Turner on #78165

…greater negative foot speed with respect to the ground at ground contact.

Can you please explain what this means?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.