Maximizing Competition Performance: The Warm-Up and Post-Activation Potentiation

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #15180

As promised, here’s today’s video clip. This one is actually one of my favorite lectures from HPC’s recent clinic. In this talk, throws coach Larry Judge discusses ways to maximize competition performances. This lecture is pretty high level and has a wealth of useful information that can be applied across event groups.

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    BIONIC86 on #75714

Simple and precise. Best explanation of fitness fatigue I’v heard.

Participant
    premium on #75720

would the jumps that sprinters do at the line to warm up the cns fall under this

Participant
    mortac8 on #75722

As promised, here’s today’s video clip. This one is actually one of my favorite lectures from HPC’s recent clinic. In this talk, throws coach Larry Judge discusses ways to maximize competition performances. This lecture is pretty high level and has a wealth of useful information that can be applied across event groups.
    Continue reading…

When Dr. Judge talks about that hammer thrower who went home for 2 months and “didn’t train” before worlds due to lack of a throwing circle in her country, did she not train at all or just not throw hammer? Just wondering.

Participant
    hscoach on #75725

premium: yes (i remember reading about it on this site). and for a less conditioned athlete (high school aged) it might be more appropriate. on a related note … we have experimented with this (heavy squats before SLJ tests) and the most experienced hs athletes seem to benefit more than the youngsters.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #75816

Fitness-Fatigue is not that hard of a concept.

hscoach: most of the problems “youngsters” have with this type of activity has to do with giving them the correct load. This really has to do with them having a lower maximum and tiring easier at higher intensities.

I have done this kids as young as 11 or 12 and never had a problem with eliciting the response I want. Instead of a jump or clean following a heavy squat or deadlift, the go from heavy medball (8-10 lbs) to using a 4 lb medball and a noticeable difference occurs to them.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #76023

[quote author="Mike Young" date="1230116991"]As promised, here’s today’s video clip. This one is actually one of my favorite lectures from HPC’s recent clinic. In this talk, throws coach Larry Judge discusses ways to maximize competition performances. This lecture is pretty high level and has a wealth of useful information that can be applied across event groups.
    Continue reading…

When Dr. Judge talks about that hammer thrower who went home for 2 months and “didn’t train” before worlds due to lack of a throwing circle in her country, did she not train at all or just not throw hammer? Just wondering.[/quote]I regularly room with Larry on the road and we’ve talked about this before. If I recall correctly, she didn’t train AT ALL. His talk actually preceded mine at the clinic and it was a nice lead-in because he discussed fitness-fatigue models nicely AND his training loads are quite high during the preparation periods and he’s always thinking of long term athlete development which tied in nicely with the ‘soon ripe, soon rotten’ idea I spoke about…especially in the context of this particular athlete.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    mortac8 on #76032

[quote author="mortac8" date="1230173381"][quote author="Mike Young" date="1230116991"]As promised, here’s today’s video clip. This one is actually one of my favorite lectures from HPC’s recent clinic. In this talk, throws coach Larry Judge discusses ways to maximize competition performances. This lecture is pretty high level and has a wealth of useful information that can be applied across event groups.
    Continue reading…

When Dr. Judge talks about that hammer thrower who went home for 2 months and “didn’t train” before worlds due to lack of a throwing circle in her country, did she not train at all or just not throw hammer? Just wondering.[/quote]I regularly room with Larry on the road and we’ve talked about this before. If I recall correctly, she didn’t train AT ALL. His talk actually preceded mine at the clinic and it was a nice lead-in because he discussed fitness-fatigue models nicely AND his training loads are quite high during the preparation periods and he’s always thinking of long term athlete development which tied in nicely with the ‘soon ripe, soon rotten’ idea I spoke about…especially in the context of this particular athlete.[/quote]
    Thanks. It’s nice to know there are ‘bro athletes even at the highest level. Didn’t train at all…gotta love it.

Participant
    cccp21 on #118792

Hello

I have found that this potentiation tends to work both directions on the strength speed spectrum. For example jumps over a bench before squatting and the reverse both work.
    A depth jump before a squat and the reverse. But in my experience they have to be close on the spectrum at least when speed comes first. For example i doubt that sprinting will potentiate a back squat.
    Brandon Green

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.